Yorkshire Terriers savage Oxford poodles

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Yorkshire Terriers savage Oxford poodles

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Poor performance from the side on Saturday.

The defence was shocking across the whole back line.

It's no excuse, but the 4-3-3 just didn't work. York put 4 across the middle and so we ended up with no possession and our wing backs ended up firefighting as full backs. Back to 4-4-2 from now on please.

We didn't even score the goal credited to us.

Bootham seemed to me to be a fairly small pitch and we looked cramped for space. I've no idea if it is a small pitch or if York simply closed us down so quickly that we were never given room.

The passing football has taken a step backwards in my view, with plent yof lateral movement of the ball, but no incisive passing, which is another indication of our very weak central midfield.

Clarke to blame for first goal, spilling a straightforward catch. Wright and Capaldi to blame for second goal for getting drawn into the ball in under 11 stylee leaving the goalscorer free. Raynes to blame for the 3rd goal for forgetting the phrase if in doubt give it a clout.

Batt rarely ventured forwards, and when he did, his crossing was shocking.

Forster-Caskey had an OK game but did little of significance. Heslop should be nowhere near our first XI until he can shed some pounds and find some match fitness.

Craddock was lazy. Smalley took a poor penalty.

Only Rigg and Potter really showed up.

The subs were hopeless.

Luckily for me, York is one of my favourite cities and having travelled by train for a change, it was really nice to be able to have a few pints before and after the game with some great company.

I wish we hadn't drawn Swinedown, because unless we win, it will drain us all, players, staff and fans alike, mentally and financially. I see no good coming of that game.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Yorkshire Terriers savage Oxford poodles

Post by slappy »

We never win in Yorskhire!
An enjoyable trip up to York, Grand Central trains from Kings Cross do a non-stop service, advance tickets were only about £13 for the advance single. They also do trains to Bradford, Sunderland, and Hartlepool, so could be worth looking into again (in the vague hope we play one of the last two at some point).

As for the game, the first goal was just too soon. We hit the bar, missed a penalty, hit the side netting, then went 2 down and this has to be down to defensive error in not clearing, got one back from an own goal, and went into half time, having had most of the possession and looking most likely to score, but just on the wrong side of the scoreline.

Second half we went three-one down, and the manager has to try and make any changes to see if we can break through.

Positives:
York have put a perspex roof over the top of their brick wall urinals
It didn't rain
No injuries or tired players
Timothy Taylor Landlord on draught post-match
Negatives:
Despite playing lovely passing football at times, we just couldn't convert into goals, after several consecutive corners, and also knocking the ball around outside the box for long periods
Offside far too much
Last edited by slappy on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
x586
Brat

Post by x586 »

I agree with GY's comments - there was a more than a slight sense about things pre-kick off that it would not be our day. Dreadful howler for the first goal, a very poorly taken penalty by Smalley, dreadful piece of thinking (or not) by Raynes for their third. First time I've seen Oxford in the flesh for a couple of years, so interesting to see what has changed, and what remains the same.

That said, I was fairly confident at half-time that we'd get the equalizer, as the first half went rather more our way in terms of possession / chances (IMO). The difference between the sides boiled down to two unenforced errors, and a missed penalty.

Positives:

Rigg.
Potter.
Capaldi looked solid to me barring the second goal (which in fairness to him was excellently set up and taken).
F-C good in the first half.
Smalley looked menacing (beyond the inexplicably poor penalty - his thinking seemed entirely readable to me when running up to take it).

Negatives:

Clarke always seems to have off-days whenever I see him play - which means absolutely nothing, probably.
433 just didn't work -way too narrow, and over-reliant it seemed on Heslop having a good game. He looked to me to be overweight and lacking mobility - not quite sure why he's still with us really based on that showing.
Raynes reminded me slightly of David O'Leary to look at, and in terms of playing, had faint echoes of Phil Whelan. I hope the two loanees are given a go.
Same old - didn't take chances, didn't create enough of them, and didn't look much like scoring at all in the second half.

But - nice to see York again, and a 'nice day out' in the sun despite the result (and Satnav sending us back through the centre of York on the way back - marvellous). On that showing I can't obviously see how things are going to be much different this season - the setup seems to rely heavily on not conceding, and grabbing odd goals. Saturday showed that once penetrated, the side are seemingly not capable of getting back into matches, even though the approach play in the first half suggested that they could.

I'm looking forward to seeing them again at Burton ...
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Can't take much exception with the previous posts.

I was slightly surprised at the possession stats: 55-45 in favour of York. My perception was that we probably had the majority of the possession but failed to do anything of note with it (something which the stats do show - 1 shot on target to York's 3).

At the end of the game Clarke was indicating that he was taking responsibility for the defeat. Yes, the first goal was a shocker, but there was an awful lot going wrong in front of him which affected the outcome of the match much more.

No comments so far on the officials, which suggests they had a decent game. The one thing of note I think the ref got wrong was when the penalty was awarded. It was for handball which, by definition, is deliberate. So why no card? Should have been a yellow card at least. I simply don't go along with the &quotpenalty is sufficient punishment&quot line.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

@x586
First game in two years?! :shock:
How come?
Agree with your summation though. :lol:
x586
Brat

Post by x586 »

SWA: a young family, both of us working full-time, and weekends therefore tending to revolve around young children. Last season was the first one for me in twenty years without seeing a live game of any description.

My eldest (six) is very probably going to attend his first match away at Burton, and a replica is being procured. Quite how he'll cope with it all remains to be seen if Oxford turn on a performance like the one seen at York.

If the Coventry rumours have foundation, I wonder now whether the players were well aware of the situation prior to kick-off at York ....