I never knew...

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

I never knew...

Post by Kernow Yellow »

...that Matt Murphy was our sixth most prolific goalscorer. Ever.

http://www.oufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 19,00.html

I know he had a couple of good seasons, but still. I'm shocked.

Also surprised to see that Basham has overtaken Durnin in fewer appearances. My memories of Johnny lager are obviously rose-tinted.
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

Didn't Murph score a bazillion from the penalty spot? I have a faint memory of him scoring 8 penalties of 15 goals one season or something like that.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: I never knew...

Post by Baboo »

[/b]. My memories of Johnny lager are obviously rose-tinted.[/quote]

My memories of Johnny Lager are of a very hard working player. Quite an intelligent footballer too. Lived hard and played hard.
Mark G
Puberty

Re: I never knew...

Post by Mark G »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:[/b]. My memories of Johnny lager are obviously rose-tinted.
My memories of Johnny Lager are of a very hard working player. Quite an intelligent footballer too. Lived hard and played hard.[/quote]

Who was good at sneaky punches on opposing defenders. Bet they didn't have a particularly rose-tinted outlook of him! :lol:
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Yes, one of the few Oxford players whose behaviour caused embarrassment. Not always a pleasure to watch, IMHO.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotZeke&quot wrote:Didn't Murph score a bazillion from the penalty spot? I have a faint memory of him scoring 8 penalties of 15 goals one season or something like that.
Don't think he did. He got 3 pens out of 11 goals in 99-00 - virtually all his others were from open play. I never did understand the vitriol poured on him though as he was often played as a striker when really he was an attacking midfielder. We've certainly had much worse players who've escaped such abuse.

Conversely, I have to agree with Old Abingdonian (not just because us OAs have to stick together!), never did think that much of Durnin - sly little scrote at times.