Is it true...

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Is it true...

Post by A-Ro »

That we played Corby Town home and away on consecutive days in 1958?

The airy fairy loafers of today's game would not put up with a schedule like that.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re: Is it true...

Post by BigCrompy »

It was very common indeed, back in those halcyon days, that a team would play at home on Christmas Day, and then the return fixture would be 24 hours later on Boxing Day, presumably to allow both a bumper home crowd in the holiday season.

I would be very surprised in 1958 was a unique occurrence even for Oxford, let alone most league clubs in that era!
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

We've had games on consecutive days as recently as 1993 when we had Palace at home on 27th December and away at Wolves the next day.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

In the 62/63 season we played on Good Friday (Bradford home), Easter Saturday (Rochdale home) and Easter Monday (Bradford away) . 3 days out of 4.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... eason_id=1
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:We've had games on consecutive days as recently as 1993 when we had Palace at home on 27th December and away at Wolves the next day.
Blimey, I was at both those games, I'd forgotten that they were on consecutive days!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:We've had games on consecutive days as recently as 1993 when we had Palace at home on 27th December and away at Wolves the next day.
I went to both games.

We lost at Wolves to a very late goal I seem to recall.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

That happened during the timescale of my current marriage and I really don't remember it, I've been married a long time.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

But Palace and Wolves are different teams, aren't they?

The original point was that we played Corby on consecutive days. Not happened in a long time, more's the pity! (though I cannot for a minute imagine it was particularly fair, potentially running into table-topping opponents in an injury crisis at just the right time).
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:

The original point was that we played Corby on consecutive days. Not happened in a long time, more's the pity! (though I cannot for a minute imagine it was particularly fair, potentially running into table-topping opponents in an injury crisis at just the right time).
The original point also stated: The airy fairy loafers of today's game would not put up with a schedule like that. [my emphasis]. But I do apologise if I haven't stuck rigidly to the brief of the original posting. :roll:
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I was more interested in the schedule than the opponent, it is an interesting point nonetheless. The only reason I quoted the Corby tie was because I was looking up clubs that City are playing this season and seeing how long ago it was that we played the same opposition. In some cases it it quite frighteningly recent.

Which sort of raises the question how long will it be before City and United play each other in the league?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Which sort of raises the question how long will it be before City and United play each other in the league?
Not for a long time I would think....we have hopefully learnt the lessons that will mean that we will not be gracing the Conference again, while for City I think they will be more than happy to stay up this season and then establish themselves at this level.
I really hope that they do, so that Oxon has teams spread right across (down?) the pyramid, rather than United then a three or four level drop to the next bunch, not least because it gives us a chance to loan some of our youngsters out into a better standard league so as to better judge how they will fare in our first team squad...

Good luck to City and all the ex-Us they have on board...
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:

The original point also stated: The airy fairy loafers of today's game would not put up with a schedule like that. [my emphasis]. But I do apologise if I haven't stuck rigidly to the brief of the original posting. :roll:
Oh yes, so it does. Sorry about that one!

I just assumed that over Chrimble and Easter we played consecutive days frequently enough, so to render the Corby games in 1958 almost unworthy of comment!

i.e. I thought the reference was to the ludicrous fixturing implications.