Different Teams in Different Sports

Anything yellow and blue
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Different Teams in Different Sports

Post by Yankee Clipper »

So what sporting loves to do we each have in different sports and how deep is the love:

For me:

Passionate and Obsessive
Football - Oxford United (and only OUFC)
Baseball - New York Yankees

Strong and committed
Cricket - Middlesex CCC
Am Football - New York Giants

Minor Fling
Ice Hockey - New York Rangers

I have no strong feelings in any other team sport and struggle to support an individual although I admire a few greatly
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Different Teams in Different Sports

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I've been a United supporter since 1980 and season ticket holder for about 25 of those years. I've had several seasons of not missing any home games in the past, but in recent years that has been more difficult, and I have never seen an entire season, which grates a bit and I will do when the kids are older.

I'm also a Life Member of Middlesex CCC, although I don't get there as often as I would like.

Until 2 years ago, I had been to the Saturday or Sunday of every test match at Lord's since 1986. I missed 2 years and got to the Saturday of the WIndies test this year.

I (or rather one of my companies) used to be a sponsor of Godalming Town FC for 2 years and I was a season ticket holder there for one of those years as well. I still go regularly to seeGTFC when OUFC are at a distant away ground that I have already visited.

I am a huge F1 fan (particularly McLaren, who are based just up the road in Woking) and hate having to miss any of the Grand Prix live (on TV) and I also watch almost all quali sessions and some of the practice sessions. I've been to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone previously.

I do like athletics, gymnastics and boxing as well.

I've gone off international football over the years partly because I hate how the Premier League has been allowed to develop, and partly because I gave up Sky TV for several years and have only just got it back for F1.

I'll watch pretty much any sport.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Sport is my absolute favourite thing in world. There are not many sports that I do not follow and have a good knowledge of but, for the purposes of this thread, my 'support' goes to the following:

Football - OUFC. My one true love across all sports. I occasionally watch Banbury and Brackley but can muster no emotional attachment to any other team. I seemed to grow out of supporting England, too far removed from OUFC I guess plus the neanderthals who inhabit the pubs when games are on put me off!

Cricket - Warwickshire. Was a member during my teenage years. My dad still goes and I join him when I can. I also take in a day or two of a test each year. The 'short' forms of the game do not interest me that much. I prefer the tactical battles of the County Championship and tests.

Rugby Union - Northampton Saints. Not really passionate about Rugby but a lot of friends/family are. I normally get into the Worlc Cup when it comes around and follow England. I know next to nothing about Rugby League.

Athletics - Will support all Team GB athletes. Am a member of British Athletics Supporters Club but probably only get along to one international meeting a year, usually an indoor one.

Ice Hockey - Colorado Avalanche. Got into the game whilst at Uni. Housemate supported the Avs so followed suit!

Am Football - Denver Broncos. I love American Football. Great tactical battles are fought out. I go to the Wembley game very year. I simply chose Denver due to their geographical proximity to the Avalanche. I have also been to see the Oxford Saints a few times!!

F1 - Jenson Button is my favourite driver. No particular love for a team although take an interest in Mercedes due to the proximity to my house.

I am very much looking forward to the Olympics. 2 weeks of random sporting competition. I couldn't ask for more!!
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

I used to be able to watch almost any sport on TV but that dropped off very quickly once I got married for the first time!

Football is all about Oxford United and Leek Town. I'll follow England and I'm pleased when they win, but it's all a bit meh these days.

When I lived in Bracknell I followed the Bees (Ice Hockey) home and away. Now I'm in Shropshire I've been to a few Telford Tigers home games. Mostly I follow the scores on twitter.

I don't have a favourite county cricket team but again will follow England. Not sure I could cope with watching a whole game on TV any more though!

And that's about it. Twenty years ago I would have watched every snookoer tournament, all the F1 races, any rallying or saloon car racing on the telly. Golf and Rugby were probably the only sports I couldn't watch, but even then a tense finale would keep me glued to the set. I had a passing interest in the Chicago Bears after my Dad bought some merchandise back from the States.

One thing I do enjoy is a big event. I was in Basle for Euro 2008 having successfully bid for Germany v Portugal tickets. That was fantastic, especially the day after when the Dutch fans arrived in the city. I saw Mike Gattings' England play South Africa in a onoe day international at Headingly and I had an annual holiday around England towards the end of each football season, taking in games wheverer they could be found. Maybe when my yound family have grown up I will get back into it all...
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Isn't it interesting how you'll accrue different loves along the way, depending which direction life has blown you in?

Oxford since 1984 for me, and struggle to get passionate about any other team, England included. Even when living in Scotland I couldn't get excited for Aberdeen despite their supposedly being a top flight team, and preferred instead to ground hop and watch games with 200 other hardy people, just to say I was there, pretentious sod that I am.

Otherwise, Hampshire CCC and New England Patriots since my impressionable youth, never really developed a love for a rugby union club which is hardly surprising since I watched Glasgow Warriors, but ever since emigration the only thing that can rival my love for Oxford is the Melbourne Storm never would have given league the time of day until I tried it, and found it was a was an absolute war of attrition, one of the last great bastions of a bygone era!

Can't be doing with Australian football though - soft rubbish, ruined by umpires.

King's Head, Farmoor when it comes to Aunt Sally, whereas if you're talking darts I'm more of a The Three Pigeons, Witney man.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Football
OUFC regularly since 1968, season ticket holder since about 1972
England at home since the early seventies and away since France 1998

Cricket
Member of Surrey CCC since about 2000
England home since the early seventies and away since Barbados 2001

Rugby
Member of OURFC, I watch matches at Iffley Road but the only away game I ever get to is Twickenham.

F1
McLaren fan, I never miss a race on telly but haven't been to a real one since Jackie Stewart was racing.
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

First OUFC game was New Year's Day 1972 v Norwich whilst visiting relatives in Abingdon.

Went to Old Trafford regularly, and then Nov 74 whilst in Div 2 saw Man U 4-0 OUFC and was hooked on Oxford again!

Serious following began Dec 83 away at Wigan's old ground when Trevor Hebberd roamed the pitch with arrogance, and enjoyed watching our rise under Maxwell Snr, and fall under Maxwell Jnr &amp countless others with the exception of the 95-96 season.

Locally I follow Chester City, Warrington Town, Runcorn Linnets &amp Northwich Victoria.

My only serious sporting passion outside OUFC though is Ice Hockey, in particular Manchester Phoenix who play in Altrincham just up the road from Moss Lane.
A great sport, and a great night out. Try it next season (September to March) you won't regret it!

Rugby League is Warrington Wolves

Cricket is Lancashire CCC

Used to love playing Snooker, Cricket &amp Ten Pin Bowling, but married life puts a strain on your time, so escaping to see the Yellows &amp Ice Hockey is my only vice now.

Looking forward to the Olympics, hoping that everything runs smoothly &amp that we can be proud of ourselves.
Bring back the black away shirt!
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

First match - Headington v Guildford 1958 Southern League.
Ardent but intermittent supporter in the 60's (in the services and too often absent). Regular home supporter in the 70's and home and away in the 80s and a considerable number of England matches. Lost interest 1990 to 2005.

Happened to be in the South of France in the early 90s when the Tour de France came to the town I was staying in. Became totally besotted with cycling. The carnival atmosphere, the razz a m tazz associated with it got me hooked. And all for free.

Have been to at least 20 stages of the T d F - most of the spring classics (Paris - Roubaix 5 times) - Tour of Flanders - Amstel Gold. Never seen any cycling in Italy but intend making the Milan - San Remo before I get too old. Currently following the Sky team but used to follow Credit Agricole (Chris Boardman) and for a while US Postal/HTC Columbia.

Retired now - but nowadays make full use of the Sky Sports package from the sofa though I am not keen on American sports. Support any English team (except Liverpool) in European football - England RU - Williams in F1 - Lee Westwood and watch some test matches.

Occasional day out to watch 1 day cricket at Canterbury
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I am always so impressed with people who can remember things like their first game. I started actually going to watch United (rather than watching the vidi-printer) in Spring 1984. Except when they are in the same Division, I also keep an eye on Torquay, as my aunt lived a couple of streets away and they were the first pro team I saw (including one of Wimbledon's first ever matches in the league). I also loved Liverpool's style of play during the 1970s and 1980s. The other teams I always look out for are Stranraer and Stenhousemuir, because as a little kid their names looked so very different to me.

Cricket it has always been Somerset - amazing to think we once had Botham, Richards and Garner in the same side. Will we ever actually win a final again?

Rugby Union it is Leicester (lived there for 12 years) and Rugby League it is Leeds (because friends support them - starting to get tenuous now...).

Speedway I no longer follow. Nobody can replace the great Cheetahs side under Hans Nielsen.

American Football it is the Redskins. One of my lottery numbers is 44 - the now retired shirt number of John Riggins. Great to still see him on TV when I get to DC.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Oxford Utd are my one and only football love, and have been since 1964. I enjoy most sports but expecially the following:

I -play snooker - favourite player Jimmy White.
- like cricket and have 'supported' Yorkshire ever since watching Fred Trueman in a test match against South Africa.
- play golf badly - favourite player Luke Donald.
- run slowly and like multi-event athletes like Daley Thompson. Currently have every finger crossed for Jessica Ennis!
- follow British women's tennis.
- support British people in most sports
- can't wait for the Olympics!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

GRew up in Sutton Coldfield, near Brum, so my first game was aged 6, ASton Villa vrs Carlisle in the 2nd division and from there I was hooked. (Any accusation of glory hunting is void, given that the Blues, Albion, Wolves and Coventry were all a division higher). Went periodically, when allowed, but mostly listened to Tony butler on BRMB.
Went to Uni in Lancaster (1 Morecambe home game), did a year work exp in Newcastle (1 Villa away game), then moved to Oxford after graduation. Started work Mon 24th October 1988 and moved down two days earlier, but a mix-up with my landlord meant I had an efternoon to kill before moving in, so walked up the road from Cowley Centre to the Manor where Blackburn were teh visitors.
Teh transiation in loyalties began from that day, but the real shift came from moving to Headington and slowly developing a greater understanding of the finances at that level - I remember being astounded that the club could not come up with the £10,000 that Ccrawley were asking for Ben Abbey - and so it became that much more real, soon getting right under teh skin, where I doubt it will ever shift. I now live near Wycombe, but can safely say that I have no affection for teh place or its football club, although do keep an eye out for the local non-league sides.

Other than that, I have few real allegiances in any other sport, except the national side:
- cricket I'll say Warwickshire by birth but have never seen them play,
- US football - Pittsburgh, but only because I liked the name,
- rugby - anyone who beats Wycombe...er sorry...London Wasps

Infact, saying that, the list of sides I dislike is far longer, but I guess that is for another thread
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Oxford United is my one sporting love. No other team has made me cry both in joy and sorrow. Doubt I could cope with another team.

Football - Locally I can watch and cheer for Banbury, Brackley, City or Witney and do so occasionally when United is not accessible.

Nationally, like many, it is loveless relationship with England a cycle of hope and despair. International friendlies played during the season have been dumped. Like the local sides. I can support Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales if England is not accessible. Also have a soft spot for the Republic of Ireland since 1994 expect I will enjoy watching them in Euro 2012 more than England. Finally, I have made an exception, as hosts and have tickets, to support Team GB. Football does not need the Olympics replace it with a different sport like lacrosse.

Cricket - Without an Oxfordshire first class side, my interest is spread:
Oxford Universities nothing like an afternoon in The Parks,
Gloucestershire intermittently if at Cheltenham Festival,
Northamptonshire as Jack Brooks is an Oxfordshire lad,
Rajasthan Royals (first year of IPL only) even though they won, I couldn’t embrace it,
Netherlands in CB40 they are having a real go this season
All are conditional - so not really love.

The men’s England and Wales national team is the nearest to love after Oxford. It is limited to Tests T20 is entertainment but (like Pietersen) am increasingly indifferent to ODIs. To follow affiliated teams (England Lions, Oxford United Reserves) and stay up all night in good times and bad is commitment. Also, the women’s national team are excellent and well worthy of affection.

With football my main spectator sport and cricket filling the summer, I have a few minority interests:

Field Hockey – Having played, I follow the national team at major tournaments and have Olympic tickets for the women a good chance of emulating the men - 1988, Seoul and all that.

Speedway and Rugby – No interest, but mourn the demise of an Oxfordshire team. Don’t want London Welsh relocating, inclined to Henley Hawks if they were in the same position.

Tennis – Due to others I (pretend to) care for a few weeks each year around Wimbledon. Did embrace Henmania and transferred to a British wildcard (Chris Eaton) the year after Henman retired. Prayed for A.B.M (anyone but Murray) since.

Rowing - Oxford University a choice of limited options on one day a year - regular fling.

Ice Hockey – Mighty Ducks of Anaheim Disney films, insomnia and it was on Channel 5 - minor fling.

For not a lot of love, I am quite interested in a lot :wink:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I like footy (my main club allegiances vary over time and where I live in the UK) but any other sport only interests me maybe 5% of the time (and mainly in the close season).

I like cricket and I used to attend Lancashire and England games a lot. I spent far too much time in my youth playing snooker and for five minutes in 1975 I lead former world champion John Spencer in a frame watched by about a hundred people before I cracked up under the pressure and got slaughtered.

I don’t like Wugby or Tennis, and I’m rapidly going off most of the sports scheduled in the Olympics mainly on account of the fact that I was not pleased that I didn’t get a single ticket other than for the men’s football semi final at Old Trafford, just like millions of other people. I’ve run for my country at under 16 level in the 100 meters (PB 11.4 seconds) but come the games and the lighting and extinguishing of the Olympic flame then tickets will probably go to the people who will miss some of it as they will be feasting in the corporate hospitality sections on offer.

I'm thinking of taking up golf by means of a release and some mental therapy about being addicted to footy and its failure to satisfy me when I feel sick about stuff like this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18294032
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I like footy (my main club allegiances vary over time and where I live in the UK) but any other sport only interests me maybe 5% of the time (and mainly in the close season).

I'm thinking of taking up golf by means of a release and some mental therapy about being addicted to footy and its failure to satisfy me when I feel sick about stuff like this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18294032
All Brendan is doing is changing allegiance. I'm sure you fully understand, Snakey old boy.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:I like footy (my main club allegiances vary over time and where I live in the UK) but any other sport only interests me maybe 5% of the time (and mainly in the close season).

All Brendan is doing is changing allegiance. I'm sure you fully understand, Snakey old boy.
I do indeed understand. Good luck with WPL and the 12th consecutive season for Oxford United outside the top three Divisions of English football. I’ll still be there now and again next season at Minchery Farm but my biggest regret in my footballing following life is that when we were in what is now called the EPL I missed a few away games in those three years we had in the sun, but I’ve learnt from that - the good times for a small club don’t last very long so I’m going to make the most of it next season...