Cymry Llundain

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Cymry Llundain

Post by Snake »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Stad.Co. does not spend money!
Really? Then who pays just to turn the lights on?

Firoka settle the bills then Oxford United get indirectly charged for a proportion of the fees (fairly or unfairly depending on who you believe). When the pitch was originally laid it was innovative and it generated interest from other Stad Co’s, including some big clubs - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 129380.stm
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Looks like it might all be back on:

http&#58//www&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport/ ... n/18651050
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Isn't it definitely on now? I'm just hoping that it doesn't bugger up our pitch, if the pitch is fine then surely it's good news for Oxfordshire fans of live sport?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I wonder if cw has been holding off on signing to see if this comes off. His brand of 'the beautiful game' if we've got a good pitch or long ball if we're playing on a smashed up rugger bugger surface.

On that note, is there a more smug set of fans than rugby supporters...??
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:
On that note, is there a more smug set of fans than rugby supporters...??
Have you not seen the fans of Deutschland over the past couple of weeks ??
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:Isn't it definitely on now? I'm just hoping that it doesn't bugger up our pitch, if the pitch is fine then surely it's good news for Oxfordshire fans of live sport?
I don't know, but it would be nice to be told either way by the number of major parties involved. Who knows, if it comes off I might even try attending as a one off as it would be different, like somewhere where you are allowed to buy an expensive and crap beer from the catering outlets and drink it while watching the game, no segregation, no chants about the ref being a wanker etc.

As for the pitch quality for League II football, then it can be done (at a cost), but given our style of play then I don't think it will work to our advantage to get the grass perfect because we not a Spain or a Barcelona or even a Swansea City type style of club.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:Isn't it definitely on now? I'm just hoping that it doesn't bugger up our pitch, if the pitch is fine then surely it's good news for Oxfordshire fans of live sport?
I don't know, but it would be nice to be told either way by the number of major parties involved. Who knows, if it comes off I might even try attending as a one off as it would be different, like somewhere where you are allowed to buy an expensive and crap beer from the catering outlets and drink it while watching the game, no segregation, no chants about the ref being a wanker etc.
and no crowd!
&quotSnake&quot wrote:As for the pitch quality for League II football, then it can be done (at a cost), but given our style of play then I don't think it will work to our advantage to get the grass perfect because we not a Spain or a Barcelona or even a Swansea City type style of club.
[/quote]

&quotWe&quot Snake, &quotwe&quot?!?! :wink:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

According to the owner of London Welsh it us definitely on and LW will definitely play their home games at KasStad.

And this appears to suggest that NF have accepted their fate:

http&#58//www&#46newcastlefalcons&#46co ... -statement

Which means we will be playing football on a ploughed field next season.

As Snake has said, it would be nice to get an official statement from the club.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

My accountant is on the board at LW, so I'll buy him a sherry and see what I can get out of him.

Sadly, since we don't own the ground, this doesn't help the club in any way at all.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotHog&quot wrote: &quotWe&quot Snake, &quotwe&quot?!?! :wink:
A fair point in terms of me not being an OUFC ST holder any more, but maybe we can chew this over at Court Place Farm pre-season. My opening gambits would be something along the lines of keeping the ball on the floor (like the ‘boring’ Spanish team) a crap setup and future medium term prospects for Us at the Kassam now tht Wugby is on the agenda.

Oh, and Chris Wilder is no longer a saviour (but still hangs about), KT is well paid to mange him (among his other business interests), but WPL are still in my opinion the biggest obstacle in moving the club forward. ‘Soft loan’? Bollocks.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:On that note, is there a more smug set of fans than rugby supporters...??
Have you not been watching Wimbledon this last week? Horrible, chinless middle class idiots laughing smugly at each other whenever one of them annoys the players by waiting until there's silence on the court before calling out something 'hilarious' after one too many pimms. Not to mention the middle-aged ladies from the home counties draping themselves from head to toe in Union Jacks and screaming quasi-orgasmically whenever Murray just misses a forehand. It's anti-sport (although the tennis itself has been pretty decent).

But yes, I agree about Rugby Union fans too. The thing that annoys me most about them is the way they seem to take more pleasure in trashing football than actively supporting rugby. They endlessly point out the flaws in the round ball game, while laughing off the blatant cheating and outright thuggery in the latter as some kind of 'banter'.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

As a fully paid up rugger bugger, I shall have to object. There are some smug anti-football types, but most fans will happily watch a footie game, and appreciate the skills required for both. I think most of the smugness comes from the incredulity at how badly football is run, with FIFA living in the stone age, the terrible disrepect for referees, and the non-punishment of play acting.

Which as far as I can tell are pretty big bugbears for most footie fans as well. It's just the the rugby fans have a really good reference point for how much the game is enhanced by things like sin bins for yellow card offences, post-match citing of cheating players, video technology for important decisions, accurate timekeeping to prevent timewasting and respect for the referee ingrained all the way through from the kids to the seniors.

See, that probably sounds a bit smug, but if football introduced those things tomorrow I'd be over the moon, Harry.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

In broad agreement with Smiley, plus also protesting somewhat about the stereotyping of fans of a sport as all being of one type ... so all football fans are drunken moronic hooligans who riot at any excuse, right? Well, clearly not. When I was still in Reading, I used to go to watch London Irish quite regularly and, apart from the pseudo-Irishness of it, generally it was an informed, friendly, family atmosphere, good spectator-fare and plenty of people I knew who went were also fanatical football fans.

That said, I can't see anything obviously beneficial in this London Welsh thing. It is pretty certainly going to damage the pitch*, it is a disadvantage in any negotiations to buy the stadium, I can't see that it will reduce our costs by any significant amount, plus I always had a real dislike of London Welsh from the Welsh-dominance years of the 1970s ...

* Is it just me or has the pitch quality gone down quite a bit over the last couple of seasons anyway?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:As a fully paid up rugger bugger, I shall have to object. There are some smug anti-football types, but most fans will happily watch a footie game, and appreciate the skills required for both. I think most of the smugness comes from the incredulity at how badly football is run, with FIFA living in the stone age, the terrible disrepect for referees, and the non-punishment of play acting.
Most of that is fair comment. I was anyway well aware of my ridiculous generalisations. I certainly wish that disrespect towards referees would be stamped out in football, and don't see why it can't be done easily with immediate punishment. But for all the weaknesses in football, which as you say most football fans are prepared to accept, there are plenty in rugby too, and most of the rugby fans I speak to don't acknowledge them at all.

I don't accept that anti-football sentiment is a rarity among rugby fans either - in my experience, when I express a preference for football to a rugby fan I'm derided. If I hear one more time that 'football is a game for gentleman played by thugs, and rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen' I shall scream. There are so many more thugs in rugby than football it's ridiculous. The conversation then usually turns to what a bunch of pansies footballers are, and that the odd punch up is all part of a man's game. Which of course completely contradicts the original point being made! Am I not correct in saying that a current England international (Dylan Hartley) has had bans for both eye-gouging and biting in the last few years? How gentlemanly!

I actually quite like rugby as a spectator sport, but find it almost impossible to have a reasonable discussion with anyone wearing a replica rugby shirt. Also, you say football is badly run, but surely you're not holding the RFU up as some beacon of common sense and trustworthiness?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

London Welsh highest league attendance last season was 4400, the average being 1521 and the lowest 365 - http://rugbyroundup.com/league.php?leag ... ce_records

However, on the back page of today's Oxford Mail they state they are hoping to pull in 5-10,000 per game - http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/97922 ... don_Welsh/