Hacking

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Hacking

Post by A-Ro »

There is still some nonsense on the Boot and what has happened to all the old forum names?
admin
Site Admin

Hackings

Post by admin »

Hopefully all sorted?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

The Turkish stuff has gone, there is still something wrong with the forum names and Road Rage is missing. It also looks like guests can post without registering which might cause an issue at some stage.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:The Turkish stuff has gone, there is still something wrong with the forum names and Road Rage is missing. It also looks like guests can post without registering which might cause an issue at some stage.
Hmmmm &quothotel 52 odcinek 40 kiedy&quot is a case in point.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Permissions have been reset so only registered users can post.

Road Rage went several weeks ago because it was so little used and Slappy had turned it into his own personal news forum! It was changed to a general forum on request of some users.

The forum names may be slightly different to what they used to be, mainly because I couldn't remember the old names after our Turkish hack-attack.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Does this hacking add yet more to the argument that we should be contributing to have Rage Online put on more secure and stable servers?
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Well done and thanks for sorting it out so promptly. I don't post much on here but was very angered with the hacking and subsequent gloating.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

It didn’t seem to be a machine doing it as I was on the site when it was going on, and winding up the hacker. He was then changing my postings and replying back to me. Someone was obviously going to a lot of time and trouble to infect what is a relatively small forum.

Admin, any idea of how he/she got in?
admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by admin »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: Admin, any idea of how he/she got in?
Nope. I've reset the admin password in case the hacker used a bot to work out the site password, but if that's the case then it's possibly only a matter of time before they crack that, if they wish to go to the botheration. No idea why they've targeted this forum, other than they were able to.

GY - I don't know if a different host would have more sophisticated anti-hacking measures, although it's definitely something to look into.
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

Is this the latest version of phpBB? The latest is 3.0.10 released in January.

My old forum kept getting hacked if I didn't update fairly soon after each release.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I see the hacker deleted some of GY's posts, so it can't be all bad :lol:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotadmin&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:Admin, any idea of how he/she got in?
Nope. I've reset the admin password in case the hacker used a bot to work out the site password, but if that's the case then it's possibly only a matter of time before they crack that, if they wish to go to the botheration. No idea why they've targeted this forum, other than they were able to.

GY - I don't know if a different host would have more sophisticated anti-hacking measures, although it's definitely something to look into.
How does a bot work out your password? Sorry to seem a bit stupid if it’s obvious, but having researched this kind of thing it seemed much more of a personalised attack on our forum. I’ve also had three emails recently from close mates “desperately needing money
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I see the hacker deleted some of GY's posts, so it can't be all bad :lol:
The hacker was probably Pottersrightboot in disguise!

Either that or the hackers realised my contributions would be valuable one day and took them to keep for future resale.... :shock:
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotadmin&quot wrote:

How does a bot work out your password? Sorry to seem a bit stupid if it’s obvious, but having researched this kind of thing it seemed much more of a personalised attack on our forum. I’ve also had three emails recently from close mates “desperately needing money
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotadmin&quot wrote: