Tonight

Anything yellow and blue
Frank
Puberty

Tonight

Post by Frank »

Ok, didn't go, couldn't get a ticket - but why has Wilder dropped Beano for players who shouldn't even be in the squad !
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Because he has no idea what his best team is. And that's not a good thing for a team going for promotion.

Quote me in May if I'm wrong.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

In fairness he only played one centre forward, and Rendell has more form, and Beano's not a winger. Montano had a good game tonight, and as much as it pains me to say it so did Morgan. But we chucked it away and Saturday's massive now and for me, Win and we'll probs make the play offs and lose and we probs won't. Surprisingly I reckon if we draw it'll be in the balance.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Can't help posting this now I've spotted it:

Aidy Boothroyd quotes from Northampton website: &quotAt 1-1 I wasn't quite sure whether to shut up shop but I decided to go for it and in the end fortune favoured us.&quot

Substitution for Northampton in the 87th minute Adebayo Akinfenwa (Striker) is replaced by Anthony Charles (Defender).

C'mon Aidy, your team did well but don't pretend that you were being the gutsy one.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I really wanted to come away from tonight with a seething sense of injustice, but I just can't. That was probably the best game I've seen this season - two teams really going for it, both trying to win. You sensed the Oxford fans wanted to criticise the selections of Morgan and Montano, but both played their socks off tonight.

Whingy was immense (sitting in front of the back four is by far his best position), Clarkey pulled off some unbelievable saves and Wright and Dubes battled all night. OK, so Gutteridge should have been sent off for his cowardly stamp, but Davis was lucky not to see a card for the late tackle that led to the fracas. Did it all affect the result? Who knows.

That's not to say that we shouldn't have won. Besides Chapman's penalty miss, Duberry was so unlucky with his shot saved by the keeper's wrong foot, and Chappers and Montano should have at least hit the target with their headed efforts. All of these at 1-1. But our habit of conceding early and late killed us, and you couldn't say Northampton didn't deserve something from the game. If only it hadn't mattered so bloody much. Monday is huge now.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:In fairness he only played one centre forward, and Rendell has more form, and Beano's not a winger. Montano had a good game tonight, and as much as it pains me to say it so did Morgan. But we chucked it away and Saturday's massive now and for me, Win and we'll probs make the play offs and lose and we probs won't. Surprisingly I reckon if we draw it'll be in the balance.
It &quotPAINS&quot you to say that a player wearing yellow had a good game!

What the hell is that comment all about ?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I really wanted to come away from tonight with a seething sense of injustice, but I just can't. That was probably the best game I've seen this season - two teams really going for it, both trying to win. You sensed the Oxford fans wanted to criticise the selections of Morgan and Montano, but both played their socks off tonight.

Whingy was immense (sitting in front of the back four is by far his best position), Clarkey pulled off some unbelievable saves and Wright and Dubes battled all night. OK, so Gutteridge should have been sent off for his cowardly stamp, but Davis was lucky not to see a card for the late tackle that led to the fracas. Did it all affect the result? Who knows.

That's not to say that we shouldn't have won. Besides Chapman's penalty miss, Duberry was so unlucky with his shot saved by the keeper's wrong foot, and Chappers and Montano should have at least hit the target with their headed efforts. All of these at 1-1. But our habit of conceding early and late killed us, and you couldn't say Northampton didn't deserve something from the game. If only it hadn't mattered so bloody much. Monday is huge now.
Excellent post and spot on imho.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:
&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:In fairness he only played one centre forward, and Rendell has more form, and Beano's not a winger. Montano had a good game tonight, and as much as it pains me to say it so did Morgan. But we chucked it away and Saturday's massive now and for me, Win and we'll probs make the play offs and lose and we probs won't. Surprisingly I reckon if we draw it'll be in the balance.
It &quotPAINS&quot you to say that a player wearing yellow had a good game!

What the hell is that comment all about ?
It was a bit of an exaggeration but up to last night I wanted to see his last Oxford match asap, so as much as you want Oxford to do well, ideally not him so he's out of the team. I'm sure you know the emotion of when you don't like a player playing for your team, I probably just haven't described it very well.
Tombuzza89
Embryo

http://oxfordunitedfc.blogspot.com

Post by Tombuzza89 »

Another take on tonight's game for those of you interested (http://oxfordunitedfc.blogspot.com)

In short, though:

1) Wilder picked the wrong team. Montano and Morgan didn't deserve to start after their equally woeful showings at home to Morecambe. Morgan is a show-pony who thinks he's too good for this level and won't put the hard yards in. He doesn't have the quality to give off this sort of persona.

2) Constable needs to play. His confidence is being drained on the bench. We need our talisman to be firing at this crucial stage of the season.

3) Guttridge should have been sent off. How the assistant referee has not seen that is beyond me. It was a clear stamp.

4) We desperately miss Alfie Potter as an attacking outlet. Yesterday was crying out for someone with his ability to take on a man.

5) Keep believing!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

1) Disagree. The fact that they didn't deserve to start based on what people see on match day is not that relevant. They have been poor yes, but they were not poor at Sixfields. Credit to the manager perhaps? Morgan put the effort in imho - I don't think he looked like a show pony but yes, he has done in the past.

2) Beano has been off form for ages. CW sees how good he is in training. Is now the time to give an off form player game time so that he gets his form back? He didn't do a lot when he was on.

3) Very much agree. But I did hear one Oxford fan after the game say that Gutteridge didn't touch him and Davis made a meal of it. But that wasn't the way I saw it.

4) Yes - but nowt we can do about that.

5) Yes - but it ain't easy.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Four of us let out collective groans when we read the team line-up prior to kick off (particularly Morgan &amp Montano) after the Morecambe game. I think it was said that Whing was dropped as he was on nine yellows and would miss a game if he made it to ten by 8th April. Other than Duberry for Whing, it was a strong decision to play the same team that Wilder had so heavily criticised the week before.

Second half, I thought we saw some of our best football of the season, with Morgan showing some determination and skills, nice passes and attacking football. Leven has not really been 100% for a few weeks now, and Chapman moving forward is I hope a sign for the rest of the season. Duberry should be kicking himself for a second yellow with barely a minute or two of added time - the last ten minutes he had been struggling, giving the ball away whilst trying to dribble past an attacker.

Good to see JPP back playing again, I am never sure whether to believe the midweek team news about players back from injury.

As for Guttridge/Davis incident, as I saw it (through the goal netting) Guttridge extricated himself from the tangle by jumping up with both feet off the ground and stamped near Davis but didn't make contact. Surely Davis would have made much more of a meal of it if he had been stamped on.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotslappy&quot wrote: I think it was said that Whing was dropped as he was on nine yellows and would miss a game if he made it to ten by 8th April.
One game - or is it three?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

A disappointing result but the performance wasn't bad. If Chapman had buried the spotkick, I don't think Northampton would have bounced back and we'd all be praising the team for recovering from the Morecambe performance. As it is, it's squeaky bum time with a big game tomorrow.

At least whatever happens, we will not be anywhere near the Conference next season, I wonder what it's like being a Luton fan at present......
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote: I wonder what it's like being a Luton fan at present......
More optimistic now that they have a proven manager at that level?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote: I think it was said that Whing was dropped as he was on nine yellows and would miss a game if he made it to ten by 8th April.
One game - or is it three?
two!

5 cautions on or before 31 December 1 match suspension
10 cautions on or before 8 April 2 match suspension
15 cautions at any time in season 3 match suspension

(and I think if you get two yellows and sent off in a game, then they aren't included in the totals above.)