Grumpy old git

Joy of Six - League Cup Final upsets

Post by slappy »

skip straight to number 5
joy of six

A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

We have had this discussion before. Since when was having two top flight clubs in a final regarded as an upset?
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

Does anyone know what price we were on the day?
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:We have had this discussion before. Since when was having two top flight clubs in a final regarded as an upset?
1988 FA Cup Final?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

My (mis?) memory is that QPR were 1-5 on with some bookies and, I think, it was Rodney Marsh who suggested we should not bother turning up. Ridiculous odds and statement in a two-horse race, but there was not doubting that despite also being in the top division, we were firm underdogs.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:My (mis?) memory is that QPR were 1-5 on with some bookies and, I think, it was Rodney Marsh who suggested we should not bother turning up. Ridiculous odds and statement in a two-horse race, but there was not doubting that despite also being in the top division, we were firm underdogs.

WOW - That means we could have been touching between 8/1 and 10/1 with some bookies. That's crazy. Wish I'd been a betting man then!!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Speaking of underdogs in League Cup finals, what a performance from Cardiff yesterday. Just shows what you can (nearly) achieve with the right attitude and desire.

No doubt Snake was dancing down Wembley Way (you do support them as well, don't you Snake?)