Oxford United (Gambia)

Anything yellow and blue
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Hey, we won the league in 2009-10!!!

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/articl ... n-round-up

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/articl ... ague-title

As an aside, Gambian football is in a bit of a mess as the government sacked the FA board last month and, as a result, the Gambian FA was suspended by FIFA.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:What's going on? I thought we were knocked out? Or has a league fixture replay affected the cup date?l
We were knocked out of the cup competition. This is the League championship final - a bit like the NFL Superbowl. But without the half-time show!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/articl ... ague-title

Cellular boys Gamcel FC have been crowned champions of the 2011-2012 Gunjur League title following their 7-6 post-match penalty shootout victory over Oxford United FC.

The game was goalless in regulation time in a tightly-contested final played at the Gunjur Nyamina Football Field on Monday.

Both sides made great starts to the game and launched several goal-scoring attempts but the regulation time failed to produce a winner.

Hence there is need for a post-match penalty shootout to determine the winner, which ended 7-6 in favour of Gamcel.

As the champions of the league, Gamcel were crowned with a giant trophy and cash prize of D15, 000, whilst Oxford United FC as the runners-up received D10, 000.

The final game was witnessed by the chief of Kombo South, Alhagie Mustapha Touray director of Youth and Sports, Malang Jassey head coach of Brikama United Sulayman Kuyateh, and several important dignitaries.
--------------------------------------------

(Winner's prize approx £317, runner up £211)
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: OUFC in the quarter finals

Post by slappy »

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/articl ... -for-today
Back to the new season, and Oxford United drew 1-1 with Commit FC in the opening group B game of the 2012-12 Gunjur nawettan competition.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Oxford United (Gambia)

Post by slappy »

into the quarter finals of the Gunjur Nawetttan against Nyokokorr FC on Sunday.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Foday Joof fined D250 (about £4.60) for assaulting a committee member in the quarter final.

I wonder what kit this Gambian Oxford United wear, what the pitches are like etc. It seems strange to get these brief match reports, but never any pictures.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Oxford United are through to the final against World Eleven FC in the 2012 Gunjur Nawettan. Calling Nawettan &quotthe Summer's biggest football competition&quot seems to forget about EURO 2012, but as OUFC are in the final, that's probably quite right!
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

We should get sponsored my the car manufacturers and get the Kassam renamed the Mini Stadium!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Into the quarterfinals of the Gunjur knockout
I wonder why they call Jerreh Sambou as &quotalias Torres&quot?

Also I am getting quite confused as &quotwe&quot seem to keep qualifying for the quarter final. Are the Gunjur Nawettan and Gunjur Knockout different cups?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Into the quarterfinals of the Gunjur knockout
I wonder why they call Jerreh Sambou as &quotalias Torres&quot?
Seems like he's only just joined us from Under Lion. Hot new prospect, or battle-hardened journeyman I wonder?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

In the Gunjur League Final, Oxford United hit the woodwork but cannot score. For some reason, after the game finished goalless, the final has been suspended until further notice.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Beaten 2-1 in the quarter finals of the Gunjur Knockout by Kulukochi United, who meet the [not more leftovers of] Turkey United in the semi-final.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

It's the Clash of the Giants, as Oxford United FC meet World Eleven FC in the 2012 Gunjur league final. I guess it is this Saturday, and not 5 December 2013.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Is this the end for Oxford United FC (Gambia)?
The Super Cup kicks off the 2013-14 season, bizarrely the article says between Nyokoyorr FC and Nyokoyorr FC, but I think they mean World Eleven (who beat Oxford United in the league final) and Kyokorr FC.

HOWEVER, Oxford United aren't listed in the 16 teams in the 2013/14 Gunjur Nawettan.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Group B has 3 teams named and the other groups have 4 teams named so perhaps Oxford United have just not been typed in and are in Group B?