Going down

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Going down

Post by GodalmingYellow »

This site has been up and down like a bride's nightie lately.

It's not up to me obviously, but would it not be worth us clubbing together to fund a decent hosting service for Rage Online?
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

Count me in, I'm not that active on the web currently as I now have a proper job, but when I do feel the need to post on OUFC matters it is disappointing when the site is down.

How much we talking about GY, a fiver a month each?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotscooter&quot wrote:Count me in, I'm not that active on the web currently as I now have a proper job, but when I do feel the need to post on OUFC matters it is disappointing when the site is down.

How much we talking about GY, a fiver a month each?
Hi Scooter, not heard from you for ages. Hope you are well.

I use Namesco for my business which is very reliable and never goes down. They're not the cheapest, but of the one's I've tried they are the best.

About £60 a year between us all would cover Namesco's cheapest package, but Boris will know better about how much space the site needs and whether he wants to go down that route.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I'd be willing to chip in.
wightyellow
Puberty

Re:

Post by wightyellow »

&quottheox&quot wrote:I'd be willing to chip in.
me too.
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Seems better than the curse of the player sponsorship. Count me in
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

What GY said. I've never come across any other website that's down as often as this one! Whoever's hosting it is doing a pretty poor job...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

I believe alternatives are being researched as we speak.
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

I've got a business hosting account already if that would be any use? Happy to help if I can.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Happy to chip in.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Likewise. Although presumably the new host will presumably break its leg in the first thirty minutes, turn out to be useless or racist or both and disappear without trace after a season.
yellowportly
Brat

Post by yellowportly »

Folks, it's worth noting that our current (freeely provided) host stepped in a few years ago now after we had literally been cut off in our prime by our previous (paid for) host ... literally we were shut down for an unspecified breach of contract without any backup.

I'm told that the current faults with the hosting are down to a fault in some equipment provided as a service to our host and therefore is out of their control they too are losing their web presence as regularly as we do.

The effort to move the site to another host would require a rewrite of some of the code in the system, which will, on past performance (mine, to be honest) take a wee while.

All this means that we can move over, in the next six months and if folks are willing to cough for it (and I certainly would) then we can start to look into doing that.

hope that clarifies things a bit and sorry if it sounds a bit like I'm telling folks off that's not the intention. I have no vested interest in the current hosts, but they have helped us a lot when we needed it.

cheers
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Sounds good to me Portly.

Obviously I'm happy to cough up as well.

I think the cost per user would be small.

Which I guess means it comes down to whatever time you can spare to arrange the transfer, and I am sure everyone else would agree with me that we are very grateful for the time put in by those who run this excellent site.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Also happy to help financially. I'll even forgo the legal case I'm launching against Martin B. for 2 years of unpaid wages selling Rage On outside the ground.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

Just move the forum, and leave the actual site where it is?