Constable Gone?

Anything yellow and blue
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Constable Gone?

Post by theox »

I have it on resaonably decent authority that Constable is due to sign for Slumdon this afternoon. My source has never been wrong (or on a wind-up) before but I do hope they are this time. :cry:
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

That makes sending Smalley out on loan look a little rash (unless there's some clear replacement lined up, of course).
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Um, so how much do we think we should have held out for? I'll start the ball rolling with £300k.
How many times have we said that Beano doesn't seem to have the touch for this level but then have looked at his goals for record and thought, we can't lose him.
He still has to accept of course - which he will if the money is right, which it will be.
So who / how many have we got coming in? Could be a strange forward line on Saturday.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

It's important to remember that it's no forgone conclusion, he spoke to Bournmouth who are in the league above, offered him more money, and no one would have been too angry with him for going there and turned them down, but I don't like the look of it at all.
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

I truly hope Constable decides not to go. I don't see how that would be a step up for him. He is a legend here, why go and play for that idiot and his band of moonrakers??
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Hmmmm, this has to be the end of his Oxford career. Even the most mild-mannered of our fans are gonna be right royally pissed at him for even talking to that club!

Strange move for everyone really. If he goes there and doesnt score their fans are gonna give him no time to win them over. He will get booed and Di Canio will look like a right dick for going to all this trouble (and cash) to sign him.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quottheox&quot wrote:Even the most mild-mannered of our fans are gonna be right royally pissed (sic) at him for even talking to that club!
Hardly. The club accepted an offer. He'd be foolish to not at least speak with them. Doesn't mean he wants to go. If he spoke to them and then told them to go f*** themselves, he'd probably GAIN kudos amongst Yellow rather than lose it.

However, no point dreaming - I should imagine he'll go if they throw enough money at him (be honest, which of us wouldn't work for a rival firm if the offer was good enough?). As Baboo has said, the question is what's an &quotacceptable&quot offer. Personally, I'd hope we get 500k minimum.

I'm sure Wilder already knew of this, and getting Smalley out was all part of a plan to renew the front line.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I guess a club on the fringe of the automatic places who are willing to come in for him three times now and clearly intend to put him at the centre of things MAY sound like a step up from a club on the fringe of the playoffs who periodically put him on the bench?
Gives an indiction of PDC's persuasive techniques, does a striker like Constable look up to a player with the status of Di canio, especially when that player is now telling him how much he wants him to sign etc - who knows?

I'd hope the 'much improved offer' would be something more above the odds to have won the management here over - maybe #500k?

So with SMalley gone too, then clearly Tyrone Marsh is due for a debut soon
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I would assume (hope?) that there is at least one player defintely lined up to come in before Sat followed by another (maybe two) before the end of the window.
Tombuzza89
Embryo

Post by Tombuzza89 »

I agree with 'Joey's Toe.' This is very worrying and potentially terrible news, yet there is no deal has been struck yet. Unfortunately, I think Slumdon will get their man because they have been chasing him for a while, Di Canio really wants him and they'll offer him a lucrative pay package for a League 2 player.

We need to pocket 500k MINIMUM. Centre-forwards are a premium these days. Beano has been a massive player for us. It is incredibly difficult to find top quality forwards (think Smalley/Pittman/Franks) at this level. If anything, we should be looking for a forward to partner with Beano because apart from him, we struggle in that department.

The next 24 hours is going to be very, very interesting.

Please don't go Beano!
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

According to the BBC, Beano has not trained with us for the last couple of days.

I presume he is not injured so this can't be a good sign.
Bushy
Toddler

Post by Bushy »

I hope it is closer to the £500,000 if not more as if he has not asked for a move surely he is entitled to his contract being paid plus the sell on clause we would owe Shewsbury.

This was one of the main stumbling blocks regarding Lutons bids last year that once all the outgoings had been paid we were left with very little to show for it. Mr.Constable and his agent could have pulled off a good bit of business with this transfer for themselves.

Surely with these out-goings we will need at least 1 midfielder and forward not to mention a CB.
Turn Byrney, turn.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I guess most of us would be interested in an offer of more money and a shorter commute for the same work.

Please don't go, though - partly because I don't trust Mr Wilder to make good use of the money for replacing you!