Dean Windass

Anything yellow and blue
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Dean Windass

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16566561.stm

How sad. Guess fame and fortune's not all it's cracked up to be (or is it the lack of?).
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Strangely I've sometimes wondered how 'Deano' would get on when the floodlights faded and sadly it's worse than I thought it would be. Windass comes from a very difficult background and found that his natural talent brought him great financial rewards which it appears he wasn't equipped to cope with.

With the recent influx of wealth into the hands of many players who don't have the capacity to handle it, I suspect he will be the first of many footballers who find themselves in this position in the future. Very sad. I hope the PFA help him out, hopefully Gordon Taylor can show us he's worth his £600k per annum salary.
The Boys from Up the Hill
Brat

Post by The Boys from Up the Hill »

I suspect many footballers have struggled with depression after retirement, but the nature of the game led them to keep it secret. Awful for Dean Windass and the other football players who've had to suffer with it, but I do at least see it as a positive step that increasing numbers of players are prepared to come forward and talk about it.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotThe Boys from Up the Hill&quot wrote:I suspect many footballers have struggled with depression after retirement, but the nature of the game led them to keep it secret. Awful for Dean Windass and the other football players who've had to suffer with it, but I do at least see it as a positive step that increasing numbers of players are prepared to come forward and talk about it.
I couldn't agree more.

Very sad for Windy, but that he has opened up and spread the word, means that his friends and family can keep a close eye on him.

Accepting the illness is a hugely important step for him because he can begin to get treatment.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Andrew Flintoff recently appeared on television in a very good programme called &quotThe Hidden Side of Sport&quot which covered this topic. I believe the programme is still available on BBC iPlayer.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Andrew Flintoff recently appeared on television in a very good programme called &quotThe Hidden Side of Sport&quot which covered this topic. I believe the programme is still available on BBC iPlayer.
It was a good programme and it showed how many different forms of depression there are and how many different ways it can be triggereed.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Post by OUFC_Gav »

Would highly recommend the Robert Enke (German international goalkeeper who committed suicide) biography A Life Too Short by Robert Reng. Beautifully written (especially considering its translated from German), it gives a real insight into depression.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Andrew Flintoff recently appeared on television in a very good programme called &quotThe Hidden Side of Sport&quot which covered this topic. I believe the programme is still available on BBC iPlayer.
It was a good programme and it showed how many different forms of depression there are and how many different ways it can be triggereed.
A real eye opener. Vinnie Jones. Ricky Hatton. Steve Harmison. Graham Dott.

I thought Dean Windass looked fit and quite happy in the way he played in the Joey / Langy testimonial, but as we now know appearances can be quite deceptive.