Any Oxford fans living t'up North?

Anything yellow and blue
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Any Oxford fans living t'up North?

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

Hello all,

I'm based in Leeds now and was wondering if their were any Oxford fans around Yorkshire that go to away games? - I've recently been dragging non OUFC mates along to games and I can't handle their moaning any more... :lol:

Cheers
EIEIEIO
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I had an email yesterday to say the re-vamp of the Exiles site is nearly complete and it may get a mention on RadOx during todays match programme as the webmaster, Dave Hoare, is doing the Expert v The People thing.

www.ouexiles.org.uk
Yorkie
Toddler

Post by Yorkie »

I'm based in Leeds now and was wondering if their were any Oxford fans around Yorkshire that go to away games?
I'm in York and get to games when I can - very occasionally these days as there are so few fixtures in reasonable reach: Div4 has become ridiculously heavily biased towards the south-east, as was the Conference for much of the time the Us were there. This season alone we've lost fixtures at Stockport, Lincoln, Bury and Chesterfield, and all the promoted/relegated clubs are south of the Thames: Crawley, Wimbledon, and all four down from Div3.

The only Yorkshire fixtures are Rotherham (the opening one in August, when I was away on holiday) and Bradford (10 Mar 12 is in my diary). I couldn't make Morecambe today, but I may get to Burton and possibly Accrington in Jan-Feb. Please make contact if you like.

The situation should improve if(??) we get promoted this season, though of course some of the Yorks and other northern clubs are quite likely to go up or down ...

I'm glad to see from Hog's post that the OU Exiles site is being revived. I haven't been able to access it for years, and I've emailed the webmaster.
captainox
Toddler

Post by captainox »

Hooray Northern People!

I'm currently at University in Hull but reside at my home in York when it's not semester time.

Been to Rotherham, Macclesfield and Sheffield United this season (written reports for rageonline of the macc and SU games)

Planning to go to Burton on 28th January and also Bradford.

I am also on the OU exiles website along with my dad.

Yorkie - wonder if we've ever had any contact before as I have spoken to a couple of OUFC fans in York briefly in the past.

Feel free to email me using the option on here.
Oufc2009
Brat

Post by Oufc2009 »

im from warrington in the north west but i try and go as many gsmes as i can, sadly all my mates support the big prem teams (UTD,CITY,LIVERPOOL) and refuse to travel to lowerleague matches, i am always up for traveling to matches, doesnt really matter where they are
It doesn't matter what people say, I like the 2010/2011 home shirt
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

I'm based in Milnrow just outside Rochdale. Unfortunately I am currently on a 6 month driving holiday on the totting up process. And that is the totting up of points and not alcohol!! This has ripped into the number of games I've attended this year. I've been to a few on the train but am very disappointed in the National Rail Network. It's so disjointed it doesn't make traveling to games by train appealing. I needed 4 trains to get from Morecambe to Rochdale on Sunday.

Anyway license is back 27th Jan so will be attending far more games in the run in to the season. So will be able to offer lifts if needed.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotcaptainox&quot wrote:Hooray Northern People!

I'm currently at University in Hull but reside at my home in York when it's not semester time.

Been to Rotherham, Macclesfield and Sheffield United this season (written reports for rageonline of the macc and SU games)

Yorkie - wonder if we've ever had any contact before as I have spoken to a couple of OUFC fans in York briefly in the past.

Hull - best Uni in the World.

When I lived on Brooklyn St ('95-'97), there was a car about 10 doors up which had an &quotI follow Oxford United&quot sticker on the back.

I left a note on the windscreen about a week before a (1-0 defeat) at Barnsley, saying I'd share petrol costs if he/she wanted to go. Never got a reply.

I went to a load of games up North back then. Always seemed to end in a 1-0 defeat, apart from one obvious exception:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCtOIEhLov8
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:
&quotcaptainox&quot wrote:Hooray Northern People!

Hull - best Uni in the World.

When I lived on Brooklyn St ('95-'97), there was a car about 10 doors up which had an &quotI follow Oxford United&quot sticker on the back.

I left a note on the windscreen about a week before a (1-0 defeat) at Barnsley, saying I'd share petrol costs if he/she wanted to go. Never got a reply.

I went to a load of games up North back then. Always seemed to end in a 1-0 defeat, apart from one obvious exception:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCtOIEhLov8
Good work Dan - I went on a second date as a poor student to this game. The lady in question picked me up from Nottingham University, drove me to Crewe and sat for 90 minutes waiting for the game to start (there were no advance tickets and the stand was full by 2pm). She then sat patiently for a further two hours with no idea what was going on (despite the fact that I had explained the offside rule to her using the time honoured tradition of salt and pepper pots as props) whilst I went absolutely mental.

The result - 2-1 to the yellows and currently 12 years of marriage!
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Did she go to the game MR Rambler or wait in the car?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I hope the 1st and 3rd dates were crackers Radley... does your wife still come to games?

I currently live near Glasgow - are there any other scottish based Ox fans anyone knows of? The lack of northern games (even then it's a 2-3hour trip - I went to Morecambe) is a disappointment this year. I sneakily arrange trips &quotto see the family&quot around home games - this weekend being a case in point.

The best season for coverage was when setanta were covering the conference, all the pubs up here had setanta so it was easy to catch the games. Although I was the only Oxford fan in the pub.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotSWA&quot wrote:Did she go to the game MR Rambler or wait in the car?
She went to the game and sat through the full 90 minutes listening to it on Radio Wrexham whilst the rest of us stood for 90 minutes. At the end she stuggled to understand why there was a pitch invasion based on a result in Blackpool.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I hope the 1st and 3rd dates were crackers Radley... does your wife still come to games?I currently live near Glasgow - are there any other scottish based Ox fans anyone knows of? The lack of northern games (even then it's a 2-3hour trip - I went to Morecambe) is a disappointment this year. I sneakily arrange trips &quotto see the family&quot around home games - this weekend being a case in point.

The best season for coverage was when setanta were covering the conference, all the pubs up here had setanta so it was easy to catch the games. Although I was the only Oxford fan in the pub.
Not any more, we have an 11 month old. She has however, had the pleasure of visiting the London Road at The Manor where she didn't realise that everyone surged forward when we scored until it was too late, I was elsewhere in a melee - got told off for that one.

She has had the less exciting experience of Bramall Lane, Loftus Road, Vetch Field and Portman Road but did make it to Wembley for the Play-off Final.
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

Thanks for all of your replies - I completely forgot I posted this, so have only just checked back!

As was highlighted earlier in the feed, with its current teams, League 2 is rubbish for us northern based OUFC fans - I went to Stockport, Lincoln, Bury and Chesterfield last year (the latter being the best!) and they have all left the league.

I'm not a massive fan of dragging non OUFC mates, or my GF to games, hence why I started this thread. I was at Uni in Leeds and have just moved here permanently, so I'm looking to assemble an ultimate squad of Northern fans who travel to games from t'up North.

I'll be going to Burton and Bradford in the foreseeable future.
EIEIEIO
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:
Good work Dan - I went on a second date as a poor student to this game. The lady in question picked me up from Nottingham University, drove me to Crewe and sat for 90 minutes waiting for the game to start (there were no advance tickets and the stand was full by 2pm). She then sat patiently for a further two hours with no idea what was going on (despite the fact that I had explained the offside rule to her using the time honoured tradition of salt and pepper pots as props) whilst I went absolutely mental.

The result - 2-1 to the yellows and currently 12 years of marriage!
That's the most romantic thing I've ever read on here: I think I'm going to cry!
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Massive yellow's fan here living in Manchester. In the past I've been to see us play at Altrincham, Northwich (never again, thank god!). Hate the lack og league 2 clubs up here. I can't get down to Oxford as often as I'd like as I'm generally pretty skint. Hopefully there'll be more North-West fixtures next year and I'll have a bit more money!
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot