Stevenage

Anything yellow and blue
OUFanatic
Toddler

Stevenage

Post by OUFanatic »

Hi All

On the way home this evening i heard that Stevenage had beaten Bury 2-1 at Gigg Lane. They now sit 10th in League one.

I compare us with them as we came up together from the Conference. (Rightly or wrongly).

Is their position false? Well i doubt it, out of all the promoted teams last season they are well above the other three.

Is Westley a better manager than Wilder? Through gritted teeth probably yes. 8 of their first eleven today were those who got them promoted from the BSP, thats the kind of stability that makes teams gel. I think Westley knows a player maybe better than Wilder, although maybe i should change that to knows his best team better.

Not a rant, just some observations.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

After a day like today the last thing I want to think about is the vainglorious Westley and his team of body builders (good though they are).
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Stevenage

Post by Baboo »

&quotOUFanatic&quot wrote:Hi All

On the way home this evening i heard that Stevenage had beaten Bury 2-1 at Gigg Lane. They now sit 10th in League one.

I compare us with them as we came up together from the Conference. (Rightly or wrongly).

Is their position false? Well i doubt it, out of all the promoted teams last season they are well above the other three.

Is Westley a better manager than Wilder? Through gritted teeth probably yes. 8 of their first eleven today were those who got them promoted from the BSP, thats the kind of stability that makes teams gel. I think Westley knows a player maybe better than Wilder, although maybe i should change that to knows his best team better.

What a very strange post. We've just won a fantastic football match and have seen possibly the finest ever Oxford goal and your mind is on Graham Westley &amp whether he is a better manager than Chris Wilder.

Well even if he is a better manager than CW I'd rather have CW managing the team I support.

Who would you rather have and which style of football woiuld you rather see - Stevenage's or Oxford's.
OUFanatic
Toddler

Post by OUFanatic »

Shrugs

Do you not think im happy with the win and the great goal i saw saturday.......and the penalty save?

However it is what it is, 3 points! No more and no less.

I want to look forward, i want to see us move upwards and this is why i made the comparison...........

[quote=&quotBaboo&quot]

What a very strange post. We've just won a fantastic football match and have seen possibly the finest ever Oxford goal and your mind is on Graham Westley &amp whether he is a better manager than Chris Wilder.

Well even if he is a better manager than CW I'd rather have CW managing the team I support.

Who would you rather have and which style of football woiuld you rather see - Stevenage's or Oxford's.[/quote]
The Boys from Up the Hill
Brat

Post by The Boys from Up the Hill »

Despite the old adage, football is not simply 'a results business'. We could have hired Westley and could possibly have gone on a similar trajectory as Stevenage, but we'd be doing it in front of crowds of 5000 and our footballing reputation in tatters (though our stock probably wasn't too high before KT and CW anyway). I like to think that regardless of Stevenage's current success, we have far better long-term prospects. As they say, sow and steady wins the race!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotOUFanatic&quot wrote:Hi All

Who would you rather have and which style of football woiuld you rather see - Stevenage's or Oxford's.
Not out of character at all as a lot of his posts are about Stevenage or gentle criticism of CW.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/phpBB2/sear ... ampstart=0