Has there ever .......

Post by neilw »

......been a better Oxford goal?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I don't think so.

I've seen most home games since 1975 but never have I seen
an individual effort hit the back of the net from that distance with that precision.

The nearest was probably an effort from Paul Simpson 20 odd years ago
that narrowly missed. Simpson had a very special left foot and it seems that Leven also has a wand of a left foot.

A stunning and amazing goal !
pottersrightboot
Brat

Post by pottersrightboot »

Best goal I've ever seen an Oxford player score. I started watching the U's in 1966! Stunning.

Possibly one of the best penalty saves ever by an Oxford keeper as well.

A monster of a match today. What entertainment..
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I would echo this. Definitely the best goal at the KasStad and probably the best goal I've seen from an Oxford player.

Perhaps the only other goal that gets close in the 30 years I've been supporting is Joey Beauchamp's superb strike against Blackpool.
Steppers
Brat

Re:

Post by Steppers »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I would echo this. Definitely the best goal at the KasStad and probably the best goal I've seen from an Oxford player.

Perhaps the only other goal that gets close in the 30 years I've been supporting is Joey Beauchamp's superb strike against Blackpool.

Same for me
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

... and me.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Amazing.

OK, I'm not going to say the whole word. But I think we can afford the luxury of a couple of letters.

Pr......
dr ceri
Brat

Post by dr ceri »

Wish I'd been there (was best man at a wedding, so maybe that comes first!)

Having seen it on telly, totaly agree with what everyone says, though I still think Bobby Ford's goal away at Southampton in the League Cup is my fave having seen in person!

Leven is a hell of a player. How the hell did we get him?

Credit to the management, this club is really going places.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I recall Langan's goal against Arsenal as being from a long way out also Peter Hatch crossed into the net from a long way down the left wing against Hull in 1973.

Leven's was brilliant.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Amazing.

OK, I'm not going to say the whole word. But I think we can afford the luxury of a couple of letters.

Pr......
What a goal. Best I've ever seen. Bar none. But let's not get ahead of ourselves in the euphoria of a cracking match that we might easily have drawn or worse if they'd scored their penalty. Which incidentally looked a perfectly logical decision from my vantage point at the fence end of the SSL.

Our next four league games include three away from home at the only teams currently above us! Much, much tougher propositions than Macc and Gillingham away (from which we took a combined one point). Throw in cup games against Southend and the Blades and there's a very real possibility of a poor run coming on.

I said a while ago that we'll be doing very well if we're still in the play-off positions at Christmas, and I stick by that. There's a long way to go before we should even think about mentioning the P word.

As an aside, I've now seen 5 games this season, and we've won them all! Not bad, eh?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

In terms of its significance in the match and indeed for the entire season, Joey's goal against Blackpool takes it. As a piece of individual brilliance where people have only one goal to compare it with, ever, Leven's is unsurpassed. Add on Duberry's goal (and celebration), the penalty save - and, let's not forget, Clarke's point blank save just before the end - as well as general manner of the performance, with some real intensity at times, and that was one helluva day out.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

And an excellent display by Jake Wright. That double block in the first half must have hurt (!) and those three tackles in five seconds whilst sat on his arse in the second half were superb, together with some towering headers in the last 20 minutes. Not surprised he's been over shadowed by that goal and the penalty save though!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

BBC website has it on the Sport homepage - 'Beckham eat your heart out - Oxford score from half-way line.'

Lovely stuff
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

My favourite goal has always been a Paul Moody left footed volley from just outside the penalty area against West Ham, but that was only a pre-season friendly. Leven's goal was incredible, especially as I sit just behind the goal.
Tabbernackle
Brat

Post by Tabbernackle »

There's been a a few great goals over the years but... this one was so good I could'nt sleep a wink all night just thinking about it . Sorry,how sad is that?