Brat

Wilder OUT

Post by Tabbernackle »

Before it's too late
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Disagree.

He's still in credit, and getting rid of him could easily go badly wrong, (although I have more faith in KT finding a decent replacement than previous chairmen.)

However, KT does have a very important job to do right now. He has to start saying &quotno&quot to his whimsical manager. &quotNo, you can't send one of your new signings out on loan. You make him play better&quot, or &quotNo, you can't have any more players on loan. You have a squad, a big and well paid one at that, entirely of your making. Work with what you've got.&quot

Wilder started brilliantly, and has got progressively worse each year. But he's still doing ok, just.

The problem is that KT has spoiled him, allowing him to chop and change at will, with all the effects that must have on the squad.

It's time KT put a rocket up Wilder's arse. Wilder's best spells as manager, the first half and last quarter of the promotion season, he had a fixed team and stuck with it. That's desperately what we need now.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Wilder OUT

Post by Roo »

&quotTabbernackle&quot wrote:Before it's too late
Utter tosh.
Well done 'Tabbernackle', I am normally able to ignore your shallow ramblings but this time I was unable to avoid responding.
Don't think of it as anything approaching a compliment though please.
The Boys from Up the Hill
Brat

Post by The Boys from Up the Hill »

If you want people to take a comment like this seriously at least provide some line of reasoning or evidence. As it is, it looks simply like you've thrown your toys out of the pram because Wilder has done something that upset you.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Disagree.

He's still in credit, and getting rid of him could easily go badly wrong, (although I have more faith in KT finding a decent replacement than previous chairmen.)

However, KT does have a very important job to do right now. He has to start saying &quotno&quot to his whimsical manager. &quotNo, you can't send one of your new signings out on loan. You make him play better&quot, or &quotNo, you can't have any more players on loan. You have a squad, a big and well paid one at that, entirely of your making. Work with what you've got.&quot

Wilder started brilliantly, and has got progressively worse each year. But he's still doing ok, just.

The problem is that KT has spoiled him, allowing him to chop and change at will, with all the effects that must have on the squad.

It's time KT put a rocket up Wilder's arse. Wilder's best spells as manager, the first half and last quarter of the promotion season, he had a fixed team and stuck with it. That's desperately what we need now.
I wouldn't say that, Dan. In fact, CW has ended each season in a higher position than the previous season, therefore he has got progressively better with each season. Until he blots his copybook by landing us in a lower position than the end of last season, I think that is an unfair comment to make.

However, I do agree with your other points. I think three of the best games of football I've seen OUFC play in the last, say, ten years have been the play-off matches when we got promoted. And that was with a settled X! and surrounding players.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: Wilder OUT

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotTabbernackle&quot wrote:Before it's too late
I despair, if we had held on for the win last Saturday, we would have been 6th.

Grow up or perhaps you could tell us which manager you would have to replace him.

Come on Tabbernacle, it's easy to moan and make stupid reactionary statements but let's hear your alternative, that's harder isn't it.

Are you Terry from Radio Oxford in disguise?
Tabbernackle
Brat

Post by Tabbernackle »

Belay my last post--- What the f*ck do I know
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

IN WILDER WE TRUST
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotTabbernackle&quot wrote:Belay my last post--- What the f*ck do I know
If one win chances your mind you are even more of a moron than you were when you posted this.
Seriously get a grip, it's just embarrassing now.
Tabbernackle
Brat

Re:

Post by Tabbernackle »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:
If one win chances your mind you are even more of a moron than you were when you posted this.
I only posted it to get some reaction :roll:
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotTabbernackle&quot wrote:
&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:
I only posted it to get some reaction :roll:
Wow, you're awesome! I'm glad you have such a rewarding hobby.
Tabbernackle
Brat

Post by Tabbernackle »

Thanks
OUFanatic
Toddler

Post by OUFanatic »

Wilder IN in my view however i will make some observations here over his management over the last 2 and a bit seasons.

We went up via the lottery of the play offs, one has to ask that if the result had been a York win would he still be here? Has we not have been promoted it would have been a disaster, especially in light of the fact that we were a number of points clear in December.

I'm going to use a comparison with Stevenage here, a natural comparison considering they came up with us. Tonight they thrashed Sheffield Wednesday 5-1 to move into the League one play off positions....eight..yes 8 of their team were part of their Conference winning side. Love him or loathe him, Graham Westley has kept faith in his team and this would appear to be paying dividends. Also a well thought out transfer and loan policy seems mostly to benefit the squad as a whole.

CW on the other hand has chopped/changed/tinkered with ours to such an extent that in my view the team is inconsistent and doesnt gel as i would hope. His loanees and signings could be considered to be throw-mud-wall-see-stick policy, as proven by the number of comings and going throughout his tenure.

CW also has a reputation for having his favourites and sticking with them, however woe betide you if you fall out of favour as there is no way back, as plenty can testify...

Some may call this pragmatic and good management, others however would call it inflexibilty.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotOUFanatic&quot wrote:Wilder IN in my view however i will make some observations here over his management over the last 2 and a bit seasons.

We went up via the lottery of the play offs, one has to ask that if the result had been a York win would he still be here? Has we not have been promoted it would have been a disaster, especially in light of the fact that we were a number of points clear in December.

I'm going to use a comparison with Stevenage here, a natural comparison considering they came up with us. Tonight they thrashed Sheffield Wednesday 5-1 to move into the League one play off positions....eight..yes 8 of their team were part of their Conference winning side. Love him or loathe him, Graham Westley has kept faith in his team and this would appear to be paying dividends. Also a well thought out transfer and loan policy seems mostly to benefit the squad as a whole.

CW on the other hand has chopped/changed/tinkered with ours to such an extent that in my view the team is inconsistent and doesnt gel as i would hope. His loanees and signings could be considered to be throw-mud-wall-see-stick policy, as proven by the number of comings and going throughout his tenure.

CW also has a reputation for having his favourites and sticking with them, however woe betide you if you fall out of favour as there is no way back, as plenty can testify...

Some may call this pragmatic and good management, others however would call it inflexibilty.
YF Dan likes this
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

The point about Stevenage is an excellent one. I think there may be a subtle but important sense in which CW is spoilt, in that he knows he can afford to make some mistakes. Spending extra cash, in any business, looks easy but actually requires the same ruthlessness as making savings.

However, looking at the Wembley 14, we have retained Clarke, Batt, Wright, Constable and Potter. Potter is a player with whom CW has shown patience, interestingly. Special circumstances apply to Adam Chapman, Tonkin is still at the club, and so we are not so far from the Stevenage '8'.

Personally, I think there is no case for having retained Creighton, Day, Midson or Green. Leven does seem to offer more than Simon Clist, although I think the latter has been harshly dealt with. This leaves Bulman and Deering...