Oxford 2-2 Burton

Anything yellow and blue
oufcharry80
Toddler

Oxford 2-2 Burton

Post by oufcharry80 »

heres the highlights of the game including all the goals and the match action !!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twkih5_HRKQ
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Glass half empty for me.

Starting with the plus points:-

Our passing for about 70% of the match.

Alfie looks like he can make an impact for a full game this season.

Leven's ball delivery.

Batt and Davies coming forward.

Dubes more mobile than I expected at the start of the season.

Mclaren holding the midfield together.

The negatives:-

Whing - if any doubts that he was not well, don't play him.

Letting the opposition come on to us when 1 up (Leven clearly could not play the Mclaren roll.)

Jake Wright's significant error per match.

Fans goading ex-player - when will they ever learn it just raises their game?

Hall - why not bring on Payne after his last appearance?

Which brings me to Wilder - Whing? Hall not Payne? What did he say at half time? Hope he did not react to a fan at full time as alleged elsewhere...

...and finally Beano - the worst I've ever seen him play. Not only the misses but looked static and once the ref had warned him about persistent pushing when going for headers he did not appear to make much of an effort.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I'd also add as a major weakness, the lack of heading ability in the oppositions penalty box. Leven's dead ball delivery is fantastic
but we don't make the most of it. It's major weapon.

The move at the end where Leven played the ball back to Davis who then played in a superb cross for Constable should have been buried. He was six yards out with the goal at his mercy. What a miss !

The first half saw at least five great balls played across the box but nobody got on the end of any of them.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Some similar elements to the Crewe match, except that our passing and movement in the first half was much improved. Why did they revert to long ball in the second half?

As with Boogie, I really sdon't understand Wilder's passion for Hall. Hall is very one paced and gives the ball away far too much and does very little defensively. Yes his long passing is good but that's not enough, and Josh Payne is a much more creative player.

Not going to comment on Whing's play for this match, as if he was ill it wouldn't be a fair reflection, however, again Wilder's judgement must surely be severely under question for playing him in the first place. Batt is a much better player anyway, even without the illness that Whing had.

Agree about Wright's performances. He is looking a bit wobbly as he did for his first half dozen games for us, and nowhere near the standard he showed in the middle of last season. Not convinced that Worley is a better option though, especially in 4-3-3, as we would be left exposed for pace at centre back.

Up front I wasn't as bothered as I was at Crewe. We created a lot of chances on Saturday, but the ones we missed were certainly less clear cut than previously. Having said that we should probably have been 3 or 4 up at half time. I don't agree with Boogie about Beano, I thought his movement and off the ball play were excellent, and on another day he would have been taking home the hat trick ball. Lewis Guy was improved as well.

The addition of Leven made a big difference compared to the Crewe game. His positioning in relation to McLaren is excellent and creates a really solid platform in front of the back line and a creative outlet.

The main problem with this game was letting Crewe back into the game. In the first half we were really very dominant, but come the second half, we sat back and allowed them to push on, and didn't close down as we had done in the middle. 4-3-3 ugly head rears up again. Playing 3 in the middle only works when going forward, and 3 up front rarely works due to the distance between the front men.

If these problems are not resolved, we will be lucky to achieve mid-table obscurity this year.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Sun hack Jeff Taplin's blog, not always the most insightful, is quite interesting about where he thinks our problems may lie.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Sun hack Jeff Taplin's blog, not always the most insightful, is quite interesting about where he thinks our problems may lie.
Yes, very interesting. I've long been of the same opinion about goading opposition players that used to play for us.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Sun hack Jeff Taplin's blog, not always the most insightful, is quite interesting about where he thinks our problems may lie.
Yes, very interesting. I've long been of the same opinion about goading opposition players that used to play for us.
But was there any goading until he scored from the penalty and made a totally OTT celebration where he seemed determined to wind up the Oxford fans?

Goodness if that was goading, I wonder what Joey felt all fo those years ago!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

'A mute point'?

Dear oh dear
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

This was my first game since Feb/March time and it was very much a case of plus ca change....

...which further reinforces my belief that the problems lie with the system rather than the personnel. How many times under Wilder have we snatched defeat (or a draw) from the jaws of victory? Yet again we were on the front foot at half time, went 2 up and promptly sat back.

Other random observations:

From where I was in the SSU, I thought it was a pen. Richards had got goal side of Davis and whilst it was a fairly innocuous clash, it was the sort of situation which sees pens given.

Whing - simply dreadful. Frankly I don't give a monkey's if he was ill. If anything that simply reinforces the point that Wilder is desperate to prove that he is &quotright&quot to have signed and be playing him ahead of Batt.

Leven looked spent from about 15-20 mins into the second half and I was surprised he wasn't replaced.

GY says Guy was &quotimproved&quot. Jeez, he must've been bad before because he clearly didn't know how to play the inside forward position and spent far too much time sat well back in midfield. Offered very little IMHO.