Who next?

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Who next?

Post by Hog »

So in a little over a week we've had Luton, Di Cannio and now Bournemouth playing mind games with Constable. Where will it end?
Tabbernackle
Brat

Post by Tabbernackle »

Who knows? Anyways if he was crap no-one would be after him.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

I suspect we may have to reconcile ourselves to the idea that he won't be here next season (especially if he does well again between now and May).

Would he have closed a deal with Bournemouth if they'd had a bit more time? Possibly. Certainly someone will come in eventually who will be able to match their offer and then agree personal terms.

I'd like us to keep him for as long as we can. But realistically, Lord Wilder will almost certainly now be keeping an eye open for a long-term replacement, I would guess.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

As GY mentioned in his very fair and accurate report, it could be quite possible to see Beano depart by the end of next week, once the loan window opens wide.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Well if the club are seriously contemplating a loan for him that just confirms what it actually pretty obvious, Beano wants to stay but the club clearly don’t want him anymore. At this stage of the season that is an awful decision, we just don’t have time to replace him. And what is the benefit to us of a loan? We get no money from it, if he gets injured we have let our best player go for nothing. Has Wilder had another of his falling outs? Are WPL putting the squeeze on for extra funds? Something about this just doesn’t ring true, no club in their right mind wants to get rid of their best player and only fit goalscorer at this stage of the season.

As for all those muppets on Radio Oxford after the game saying Beano can go and we can get in someone else to score 20 goals a season – what a bunch of idiots. If we could find a player to get 20 goals a season why not bring him in to play alongside Beano, why not get rid of a player not scoring any goals rather than one who is already our top scorer by some distance this season.

It seems there is no sentiment at this football club anymore for those players who have given us a great service. Trying to usher Beano out like this is pretty poor as was the decision last season to break up a Wembley winning team within a couple of weeks of the season starting.

Someone actually made a very good point on the phone in on Sat, not many players seem to improve when playing for us, we often get in players with a good reputation who start well but don’t progress. Some players actually seem to go backwards in their development, what are the coaches actually doing day to day? Can anyone see between them Wilder/Melville/Lewis being able to make an attacking player better – we are too defensively minded and that, I think, is a direct result of the make up of our coaching team, we need someone with an attacking outlook on board.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote: Someone actually made a very good point on the phone in on Sat, not many players seem to improve when playing for us, we often get in players with a good reputation who start well but don’t progress. Some players actually seem to go backwards in their development, what are the coaches actually doing day to day? Can anyone see between them Wilder/Melville/Lewis being able to make an attacking player better – we are too defensively minded and that, I think, is a direct result of the make up of our coaching team, we need someone with an attacking outlook on board.
Cannot disagree with these very good points. They have been raised before from time to time but have been pushed to the back of peoples minds as we have been progressing as a club over the last few years. L2 demands so much more than the Conference - better players, better coaches, better management if success is to be had. Are we set up to move on? Current evidence suggests not, but early days of course. (And yes, I know there are exceptions to the rule - Stevenage went straight through)
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Well if the club are seriously contemplating a loan for him that just confirms what it actually pretty obvious, Beano wants to stay but the club clearly don’t want him anymore. At this stage of the season that is an awful decision, we just don’t have time to replace him. And what is the benefit to us of a loan? We get no money from it, if he gets injured we have let our best player go for nothing. Has Wilder had another of his falling outs? Are WPL putting the squeeze on for extra funds? Something about this just doesn’t ring true, no club in their right mind wants to get rid of their best player and only fit goalscorer at this stage of the season.

As for all those muppets on Radio Oxford after the game saying Beano can go and we can get in someone else to score 20 goals a season – what a bunch of idiots. If we could find a player to get 20 goals a season why not bring him in to play alongside Beano, why not get rid of a player not scoring any goals rather than one who is already our top scorer by some distance this season.

It seems there is no sentiment at this football club anymore for those players who have given us a great service. Trying to usher Beano out like this is pretty poor as was the decision last season to break up a Wembley winning team within a couple of weeks of the season starting.

Someone actually made a very good point on the phone in on Sat, not many players seem to improve when playing for us, we often get in players with a good reputation who start well but don’t progress. Some players actually seem to go backwards in their development, what are the coaches actually doing day to day? Can anyone see between them Wilder/Melville/Lewis being able to make an attacking player better – we are too defensively minded and that, I think, is a direct result of the make up of our coaching team, we need someone with an attacking outlook on board.
I quite agree.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote: I quite agree.
Blimey, there's a lot of agreement floating around at the moment.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote: I quite agree.
Blimey, there's a lot of agreement floating around at the moment.
Better see what we can do about that, then. Holidays may mean I am missing some bits and pieces but, as I understand it, KT commented recently (about Wright and Beano?) that all players have their price that Bournemouth made a significant offer for him that Beano talked to them and the deal collapsed only very close to the transfer deadline that just beforehand we brought on loan a striker from Boro, reports about whom quoted on this forum suggested he was a good acquisition that since the transfer window system came in, there seem to be more occasions when an initial loan subsequently becomes a full transfer in the next window.

Holidays and work have meant my first game of the season will not be until later this month, but the impression I get from reading match reports and various threads on this forum is that we really have not played well as a team. If current performances represent under-achievement, a combination of getting more out of the current squad, plus potentially further loan signings, could help turn results round. Simply saying that letting Beano go out on loan shows this, that and the other about Oxford seems a narrow and perhaps rather naive view. It also deflects attention from other areas (such as Winder's tactics, formations, substitutions, etc) which have on other threads all been the subject of criticism.
x586
Brat

Post by x586 »

&quotBeano wants to stay but the club clearly don’t want him anymore.&quot

Or, perhaps, 'Beano doesn't want to stay at the club and the club clearly don't want him anymore'.

The last few weeks have struck me as a player firmly putting himself in the 'shop window', ably supported by idiots like Di Canio and a useful range of rumoured new clubs. All this despite the badge-kissing et al.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Well if the club are seriously contemplating a loan for him that just confirms what it actually pretty obvious, Beano wants to stay but the club clearly don’t want him anymore.
How do you work that one out then? All these clubs making public statements about wanting to sign Beano makes me think he (or his agent) is probably giving them some encouragement. If we really wanted rid of him, there have been plenty of opportunities recently, to clubs who would have matched what we're paying him I'm sure. I think it's more likely that Beano wouldn't mind a move if the right one came along, but we're holding out for the right price. If he goes out on loan now, I'd say that's a sign that he doesn't want to play for us. Anyway, let's hope that doesn't happen. We need someone to score some goals...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotx586&quot wrote:&quotBeano wants to stay but the club clearly don’t want him anymore.&quot

Or, perhaps, 'Beano doesn't want to stay at the club and the club clearly don't want him anymore'.

The last few weeks have struck me as a player firmly putting himself in the 'shop window', ably supported by idiots like Di Canio and a useful range of rumoured new clubs. All this despite the badge-kissing et al.
Nonsense.

Beano's own words from about 10 days ago &quotI have a 3 year contract at Oxford and I want to remain an Oxford player for as long as the club will have me&quot

Beano's own words from 1 week ago &quotThe fans here are the reason I want to stay at this club&quot

If Wilder forces Beano out, then given Wilder's tactics and team selections, Wilder may find that many who have supported him until now will be less inclined to do so in future.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Well I can only go on what people say - this is Beanos take on it

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... ited_fans/

which was essentially repeated on Radio Oxford, I don't get the impression he wants to go - you wouldn't come out with all that if you didn't want to stay at the club, if you think he's lying and just making this all up as he looks elsewhere, you must have a pretty low opinion of him, which given his service for us over the last few years is pretty unfair.

The clubs view on it, well the only time they have commented is &quotevery player has their price&quot now of course that is as true for Man Utd as it is for Oxford United, but when you want to keep a player you don't say that as it sounds like you're happy to take offers for the player and if anything it makes you get less for a player. Man Utd got such a good price for Ronaldo because they were reluctant sellers.

We seem to be the opposite and are activley encouraging a sale and I don't understand why.

As for the price, we shouldn't let him go for anything less than £500,000. He is a proven goalscorer, a hero to the fans, works hard and has 3 years left on his contract. All this talk of £230,000 being a fair price is somwhat laughable I think - if we sell him for that it's because we didn't want him anymore rather than we recieved an offer we couldn't refuse.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

In answer to the question - name an attacking player that the current management team have improved, the obvious answer is Constable himself, signed for was it 50k a year or thereabout ago as a good Conference striker, he's now &quotworth&quot 4/5 times that much (if the rumoured price is accurate) and is getting interest from League 1 clubs.

If (and it's a big if) the transfer happens you can see how it makes sense to club, manager and player. The club get a bit of money that might be used to pay off a very small part of our enormous debt. The manager probably fairly assumes he will get a bit of the 200k added to his wage bill, plus Constable's wages, to sign a replacement or 2 and Wilder has shown he's more or less addicted to signing new players. Constable gets a pay rise and the chance to play in League 1. Win-win-win. Although this is only true if the team itself is deemed to not have suffered from the sale and that is the big gamble when you sell your talisman striker. Personally I'd keep him as I think he might be one of those players who has his best years later in his career - i.e. from now onwards. Le Fondre went for 350k I suppose so perhaps an offer in that region would tempt me.

As for the start of the season, it all seems very similar to last year, W2, D2, L2, goal difference 0. It's like it may as well not have happened. An inability to build or hold on to a lead at home combined with erratic away performances is rather familiar. It would be better to have some sense of progression this year, rather than just treading water, but that may come in time. I don't think Wilder will significantly change how he gets the team to play but I often think back to the first half season he was in charge when given our somewhat hopeless position in the league he sent the team out to win games and attack from the start. It's a shame he can't get back to that mindset.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

GY and Ty Cobb both quote Beano's words, but both fail to mention the fact that Beano went to Bournemouth, spoke with them, and presumably got close to agreement. I have no direct evidence for this final statement, but if it were not the case, Bradbury would not be continuing his interest for a loan deal. Louder. Words. Actions.