New kit...

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

New kit...

Post by joepoolman »

Heard a rumour a little while ago that this year's kit would be gold shirts with black shorts, colours we had when we became Oxford United, I think because it's the 50th anniversary. I wrote it off thinking we had to go back to the normal yellow and blue after this (or last depending on which season you say we're in now) season's controversy over the kit. But I went on Ox Kits the other day and saw a gold Oxford shirt, which was being claimed as next season's shirt: http://www.oxkits.co.uk/ . If it is real I like the shirt, and the idea but feel that it's badly timed, I was looking foward to a proper yellow shirt again! Anyone know about the accuracy of the rumour or any opinions on the shirt?
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

Keep the shirt the same (as the design on OxKits) but make it yellow instead of gold! I want to shout &quotYELLOWS&quot as the players run out and mean it again!
EIEIEIO
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

See this quite interesting thread just a while ago on this very forum...

http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... hlight=kit

Is that shirt really gold in your eyes? Cos that strikes me as a marigold more than a primrose, but it's still not the amber of our halcyon days.

What's more it would look bloody garish with blue shoulders and black shorts...no thanks!
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

I like the all yellow kits of 1973-4 and 1974-5. All purple for the away kits would contrast well. Nobody ever mentions purple. It's a great colour.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotYellow-Robbo&quot wrote:Keep the shirt the same (as the design on OxKits) but make it yellow instead of gold! I want to shout &quotYELLOWS&quot as the players run out and mean it again!
Totally disagree with this sentiment. At least half a dozen other clubs call themselves yellows and we frequently get the same chant from both sets of supporters. Club nicknames should be something unique as in the Rams, Stags, Shrimpers, Black Cats ... etc. Oxen is the obvious.

Indeed, if I recall correctly, did we not play torquay with them wearing our yellow shirts last season? Embarrassing.

Oh - and the black and old gold of the sixties always looked good.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:[

Indeed, if I recall correctly, did we not play torquay with them wearing our yellow shirts last season? Embarrassing..
Yes, particularly at the Kasstad when the Torquay fans were singing &quotcome on you yellows&quot. We, of course were in blue.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:Club nicknames should be something unique as in the Rams, Stags, Shrimpers, Black Cats ... etc. Oxen is the obvious.
Come on you Oxen???
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:Club nicknames should be something unique as in the Rams, Stags, Shrimpers, Black Cats ... etc. Oxen is the obvious.
Come on you Oxen???
Doesn't work on any level does it?
Yellow-Robbo
Brat

Re:

Post by Yellow-Robbo »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotYellow-Robbo&quot wrote:Keep the shirt the same (as the design on OxKits) but make it yellow instead of gold! I want to shout &quotYELLOWS&quot as the players run out and mean it again!
Totally disagree with this sentiment. At least half a dozen other clubs call themselves yellows and we frequently get the same chant from both sets of supporters. Club nicknames should be something unique as in the Rams, Stags, Shrimpers, Black Cats ... etc. Oxen is the obvious.

Indeed, if I recall correctly, did we not play torquay with them wearing our yellow shirts last season? Embarrassing.

Oh - and the black and old gold of the sixties always looked good.
Glad someone else picked that up - 'COMMEEE ON YOU OXEN' = no!?

When I was referring to 'meaning it' when I shout 'Yellows', it is because we played in blue this year?! Not that hard to understand is it.

I liked our kit this season but I just want yellow shirts brought back in
EIEIEIO
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:At least half a dozen lesser clubs call themselves yellows and we frequently get rubbish chants from their supporters compared to our magnificent battle cries.
Fixorificatorised for you.

Edit: I'd like the current kit, but replace the blue checks with gold, so we'd have a two-tone yellow top.
Last edited by SmileyMan on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
Come on you Oxen???
Always thought that &quotthe 'Ford&quot would be a good nickname, which I think would be unique, or at least far less common than both &quotthe U's&quot or &quotthe Yellows&quot....
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Always liked the nicknames which uniquely identify the team, often related to the primary occupation or industry of the town.

Anyone fancy 'The Tourists' or 'The Students'?!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:Always liked the nicknames which uniquely identify the team, often related to the primary occupation or industry of the town.

I worked at Christ Church many years ago so how about The Servants?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I have to say, I've never really been bothered by what the shirt looks like, and didn't really get it when people expressed opinions - they just looked like football shirts to me.

That was until last season, when suddenly the team I support didn't have a yellow shirt any more. Then I cared quite a lot.

So basically, as long it it changes back to yellow of some description, then I'll be happy.
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:Always liked the nicknames which uniquely identify the team, often related to the primary occupation or industry of the town.

&quotThe Dons&quot, or has that been taken... -)