Crawley Town

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git
Posts: 3539
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Re:

Post by Baboo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:36 pm

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:
By whom?

Having looked at the prices other clubs are charging and the facilities / view that you will get for your money at the various grounds I'd say the ticket prices at Oxford would be pretty good vfm compared with many others. The proof of the pudding of course ... well at Kidderminster at least.
Last edited by Baboo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog
Grumpy old git
Posts: 4515
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:30 pm

Post by Hog » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:31 pm

I don't think you need to worry about the 3 sides business. All we have to do is put a bit of concrete down behind the open end (and perhaps plant some bushes and a bit of grass) and we'll have a fourth side at least as good as Aldershots!

Resurrection Ox
Puberty
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 pm

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:18 pm

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:
Sorry? Why do you say that then? Are you telling me the club is mismanaged? Where's your evidence?
Not at all, I'm suggesting that the management of non-league football is not all it could be at times. You only have to look at the chaos that surrounded relegation from the Conference this time round to see that.

Take it for granted that if Crawley start the season then fold, it will be some time before a final decision is taken how to handle the fallout as there will be appeals and reviews and meetings to determine which results remain and which are scrubbed.

Add into that the overly strict policing of certain rules (eg wage caps) and very quickly it becomes clear that any team can get caught up quite easily. For instance, if we turn up with the wrong kit as we did vrs Barnet last year, that could be points deducted rather than a slap on the wrist for the secretary. I'm just saying we have to be careful not to mess up as it could cost us and don't want to miss promotion on a technicality.

It may also be worth remembering that some people may take particular delight in knocking us down a peg or two if we are perceived as thinking ourselves too big for non-league.

There are already rumblings about the validity of our three-sided stadium
in the light of ground grading requirements and fans of many clubs are already talking of boycotts over the price of tickets at the Kassam and many clubs take pride in knocking over teams that have been relegated, so we just need to be ready and need to keep our noses clean.
I'd be more worried about the quality of our strike force than all this gubbins frankly.

Baboo
Grumpy old git
Posts: 3539
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Re:

Post by Baboo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:38 pm

[I'd be more worried about the quality of our strike force than all this gubbins frankly.[/quote]

Gubbins Frankly, what a great name for a non league striker.

Resurrection Ox
Puberty
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 pm

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:07 am

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:[I'd be more worried about the quality of our strike force than all this gubbins frankly.
Gubbins Frankly, what a great name for a non league striker.[/quote]

He's on a free from Barnstoneworth United. Could do a job.

GodalmingYellow
Senile
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:53 am

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Take it for granted that if Crawley start the season then fold, it will be some time before a final decision is taken how to handle the fallout as there will be appeals and reviews and meetings to determine which results remain and which are scrubbed.
It's already been stated by the Conference that if Crawley don't finish the season, all their results will be expunged and the league will be played as if with only 23 teams.

I do think you make a very good point about OUFC coming over as being too big for our football boots.

Rushden had that problem a few years ago in the Conference and everyone hated them, and although they got promoted eventually, it probably took 2 seasons longer than necessary.

We start the season as equals with every other side in the division, and we should treat every other side as equals.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodalmingYellow
Senile
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:54 am

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
Have Kiddy started doing puddings as well? Heaven, I'm in heaven... :D

Resurrection Ox
Puberty
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 pm

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:19 am

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:Take it for granted that if Crawley start the season then fold, it will be some time before a final decision is taken how to handle the fallout as there will be appeals and reviews and meetings to determine which results remain and which are scrubbed.
It's already been stated by the Conference that if Crawley don't finish the season, all their results will be expunged and the league will be played as if with only 23 teams.

I do think you make a very good point about OUFC coming over as being too big for our football boots.

Rushden had that problem a few years ago in the Conference and everyone hated them, and although they got promoted eventually, it probably took 2 seasons longer than necessary.

We start the season as equals with every other side in the division, and we should treat every other side as equals.
Disagree. Have you seen the St Albans ground??

Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1436
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:45 pm
Location: Stayed at the Manor.

Post by Matt D » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:35 am

haven't we been here before?

i remember seeing someone wearing an 'on loan to division three' shirt when we were relegated last time round. i wonder if it's been recycled by crossing out 'division three' and putting 'conference'?

if we start scoring three more goals than our opposition week-in, week-out, i might change my mind on this: but i'm sure there are some nasty surprises waiting for us in this division, and getting all supercilious ain't going to make that any easier.

st. albans might not have a fantastic ground, but i doubt they'll care too much about chants of 'sh*t ground no fans' if they turn us over in september.

GodalmingYellow
Senile
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:49 am

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:Take it for granted that if Crawley start the season then fold, it will be some time before a final decision is taken how to handle the fallout as there will be appeals and reviews and meetings to determine which results remain and which are scrubbed.
It's already been stated by the Conference that if Crawley don't finish the season, all their results will be expunged and the league will be played as if with only 23 teams.

I do think you make a very good point about OUFC coming over as being too big for our football boots.

Rushden had that problem a few years ago in the Conference and everyone hated them, and although they got promoted eventually, it probably took 2 seasons longer than necessary.

We start the season as equals with every other side in the division, and we should treat every other side as equals.
Disagree. Have you seen the St Albans ground??
Football grounds don't play football.

Available resources means nothing if the players don't perform.

In footballing terms the other teams in the division are equals to us. We all start on the same points and we all get the same points for a win, draw, or loss. We have all earned the right to play in the same division, whether as a result of promotion of relegation, until we prove otherwise.

We may well hope or even expect more, but anyone who thinks we are better than the other teams just because of our history, will be in for a rough ride (again).

Resurrection Ox
Puberty
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 pm

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:06 am

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: It's already been stated by the Conference that if Crawley don't finish the season, all their results will be expunged and the league will be played as if with only 23 teams.

I do think you make a very good point about OUFC coming over as being too big for our football boots.

Rushden had that problem a few years ago in the Conference and everyone hated them, and although they got promoted eventually, it probably took 2 seasons longer than necessary.

We start the season as equals with every other side in the division, and we should treat every other side as equals.
Disagree. Have you seen the St Albans ground??
Football grounds don't play football.

Available resources means nothing if the players don't perform.

In footballing terms the other teams in the division are equals to us. We all start on the same points and we all get the same points for a win, draw, or loss. We have all earned the right to play in the same division, whether as a result of promotion of relegation, until we prove otherwise.

We may well hope or even expect more, but anyone who thinks we are better than the other teams just because of our history, will be in for a rough ride (again).
Yes - Ok - all sound - if obvious points.

But have some confidence GY. The diffence in size between our club and some of the Confernce minnows is enormous. By all means treat our opponents with respect but lets not get all pc over this.

The owners expect to get us up first time.

GodalmingYellow
Senile
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:56 am

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote: Disagree. Have you seen the St Albans ground??
Football grounds don't play football.

Available resources means nothing if the players don't perform.

In footballing terms the other teams in the division are equals to us. We all start on the same points and we all get the same points for a win, draw, or loss. We have all earned the right to play in the same division, whether as a result of promotion of relegation, until we prove otherwise.

We may well hope or even expect more, but anyone who thinks we are better than the other teams just because of our history, will be in for a rough ride (again).
Yes - Ok - all sound - if obvious points.

But have some confidence GY. The diffence in size between our club and some of the Confernce minnows is enormous. By all means treat our opponents with respect but lets not get all pc over this.

The owners expect to get us up first time.
Agreed.

DLT
Mid-life Crisis
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 8:38 pm

Post by DLT » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:04 pm

The owners? Whoever they may be?

Sorry couldn't resist that.

Resurrection Ox
Puberty
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 pm

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:15 pm

&quotDLT&quot wrote:The owners? Whoever they may be?

Sorry couldn't resist that.
Come on Dave. You know who the owners are.

GodalmingYellow
Senile
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:37 pm

&quotDLT&quot wrote:The owners? Whoever they may be?

Sorry couldn't resist that.
You're such a tease DLT :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests