Beano

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Beano

Post by Swissbloke »

Seems to be a rather lot of hot air about Beano going to Wycombe on Friday in a loan to the end of the season with view to a permanent.

Sounds bollox but worrying...
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

Kelvin was on RadOx this morning and said there had been no approach and that Beano wasn't available unless someone offered a great deal of money. Hot air as you say.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Beano

Post by Baboo »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Seems to be a rather lot of hot air about Beano going to Wycombe on Friday in a loan to the end of the season with view to a permanent.

Sounds bollox but worrying...
Worrying possibly, but what if we have someone better lined up to bring in?
Yellows!
Baby

Post by Yellows! »

As much as I am a fan of beano and think his work rate is second to none I don't feel he is a player who can cut it in the football league. He scored some important goals for us in non league but think he has missed some easy chances for us this season the two 1on1's he had at home to Rotherham spring to mind. The more I think about it the more the forwards worry me. We don't have a 20 or 30 goals season striker that can play at this level. It's something for KT and CW to think about for next season but it's something we need!
Don't stop believing!
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Roo »

&quotYellows!&quot wrote:As much as I am a fan of beano and think his work rate is second to none I don't feel he is a player who can cut it in the football league. He scored some important goals for us in non league but think he has missed some easy chances for us this season the two 1on1's he had at home to Rotherham spring to mind. The more I think about it the more the forwards worry me. We don't have a 20 or 30 goals season striker that can play at this level. It's something for KT and CW to think about for next season but it's something we need!
TOTALLY disagree.
All strikers miss chance particularly in the lower leagues.
Beano WILL end up with between 20 and 30 goals this season I am certain, yes, he has been a bit goal shy recently but he will come good again.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

He'd better hurry up then! Talk of getting rid of him is madness though, apart from being a goalscorer he's our only forward who can be a bit 'orrible.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotYellows!&quot wrote:As much as I am a fan of beano and think his work rate is second to none I don't feel he is a player who can cut it in the football league. He scored some important goals for us in non league but think he has missed some easy chances for us this season the two 1on1's he had at home to Rotherham spring to mind. The more I think about it the more the forwards worry me. We don't have a 20 or 30 goals season striker that can play at this level. It's something for KT and CW to think about for next season but it's something we need!
Well much as I'd defend to the death your right to your opinion, I'm afraid I just can't agree with it. Beano has 13 goals having barely played for a month...who's to say with 10 games left he won't bag 20? Even if you don't rate him as your top dog striker, would you knock virtues like his on the bench or at least somewhere in your squad?

And it's a cliche to say he's not good enough 'for this level'. When he's one-on-one with the keeper, he doesn't suddenly think &quotheck, Div 4 now, I'll probably stuff this wide&quot. Certainly, a high quality player may distinguish himself by making a chance from nix but the bread and butter of a striker's work, whether in the Prem of on Hackney Marshes, is kicking the ball apace past another man from eight yards.

These 'better strikers' that Wilder is supposed to be on the lookout for...well I'll bet he probably is, but we don't do too badly compared with our division rivals...I personally think this squad isn't too far off all told, if only it could be improved in the training dept.

Given where we were last year, this is a B- from a squad that might achieve a B|| within 2 years. It's all good!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotRoo&quot wrote:[
Beano WILL end up with between 20 and 30 goals this season I am certain, yes, he has been a bit goal shy recently but he will come good again.
I'd love this to happen but I just can't see it.

Lies, damned lies and statistics - Radio Oxford came up with this (I think I've got it right) before the game on Tuesday. Best goals ratio per games started - 1st Craddock, 2nd Midson.
The most telling stat would of course be goals per mins on the pitch - now if anyone has got the time I'll leave it to them.
On the goal scoring front I had expected MacLean to have been more prolific than he's been.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:[
Given where we were last year, this is a B- from a squad that might achieve a B|| within 2 years. It's all good!
Expectations - next year?
We need to devise a strategy to enable us to regularly beat the likes of Stevenage before we are going to progress further.
Yellows!
Baby

Post by Yellows! »

Roo are you serious about beano getting between 20 and 30?? that would mean he would need to score in every game between now and the end of the season to get 20 and score twice to get 30! that is if he even starts or comes on as a sub in every game. I have no doubt he will be part of the team in every game but there isn't a cat in hells chance he will score that many neither will craddock neither will midson and neither will maclean.

We don't have a accomplished forward to can take chances and score goals and lets face it that's what wins games scoring more goals that the other team, yes it's a team game and each team member has a job to do and if that player can't do their job very i.e score goals well then you can't win games. Our defence is leaky to say the least and our strikers find it hard to score.

Don't get me wrong guys I am an Oxford fan through and through and have supported them for as long as I can remember through good and bad but the truth hurts sometimes. I in my honest opinion don't think beano is a prolific goal scorer at this level and you are all entitled to your opinion. like I said his work rate and commitment is amazing but I just feel there is something not clicking for him. Maybe you could blame his supply from the midfield and the wings but at the end of the day it is his boot that puts the ball in the back of the net.
Don't stop believing!
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I guess a brace comes in handy when you're trying to get to 20...... :twisted:
Yellows!
Baby

Post by Yellows! »

ha ha a brace certainly does come in handy when it comes to 20 for the season but I stick by my word and honestly don't think beano has the quality to be a TOP scorer in anything higher than this division. More importantly a brace is handy when it comes to pushing for that play off place!
Don't stop believing!