I've been away for a while..

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

I've been away for a while..

Post by Mally »

...but couldn't resist popping back in to say:

I told you so. (or at least I think I did). FIFA will NEVER give a World Cup to England.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Hang about...my memory is a little bit rusty admittedly...

...but I'm pretty sure 'FIFA' already did 'give us' a World Cup...

...didn't we actually win the thing too, albeit almost fifty years ago?

Now I may be a partisan ex-pat, but I would still rather think that FIFA would attempt to spread the game to the world including the dark recesses of the former colonies where possible. I can't see that we have a divine right to host it. I'd much rather see every applicant country host it once before others come back for seconds, within reason. Personally I'm delighted to see the World Cups going to two virgin hosts, however much I would rather have seen Australia host it, however limited the perception of Qatar as a tourist hot-bed is.

And surely, politics and corruption aside - it's as open a vote as it's possible to be - FIFA don't 'give' the World Cup to anyone, do they?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: I've been away for a while..

Post by Snake »

&quotMally&quot wrote:...but couldn't resist popping back in to say:

I told you so. (or at least I think I did). FIFA will NEVER give a World Cup to England.
You can never say never.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:Hang about...my memory is a little bit rusty admittedly...

Now I may be a partisan ex-pat, but I would still rather think that FIFA would attempt to spread the game to the world including the dark recesses of the former colonies where possible. I can't see that we have a divine right to host it. I'd much rather see every applicant country host it once before others come back for seconds, within reason. Personally I'm delighted to see the World Cups going to two virgin hosts, however much I would rather have seen Australia host it, however limited the perception of Qatar as a tourist hot-bed is.

And surely, politics and corruption aside - it's as open a vote as it's possible to be - FIFA don't 'give' the World Cup to anyone, do they?
Agreed. Its the 'World' Cup. It should go round the world. I can't really understand the outcry to be honest.

Qatar have almost qualified for the World Cup twice (look it up) and have two more chances to make it prior to hosting. They deserve the same chance as Japan and South Africa had.

Russia is one of the biggest countries on Earth so i can't see that there are any arguments against them hosting it.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:Hang about...my memory is a little bit rusty admittedly...

OK how about&#058 FIFA will NEVER again give a World Cup to England.

Hosting it once already does not mean it can't be awarded again as Germany clearly demonstrates.

&quotAnd surely, politics and corruption aside - it's as open a vote as it's possible to be - FIFA don't 'give' the World Cup to anyone, do they?&quot

This must be a joke, Yes?

It's like saying &quotKidnapping, bombing and murdering aside Baghdad's as safe a city as it's possible to be&quot

No FIFA don't &quotgive&quot the World Cup to anyone they sell it to the highest under the counter backhand bidder. I bet Sepp Blatter is having his man servent pick out his best boating togs as we type in anticipation of his holiday on Abramovic's yacht.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quottheox&quot wrote:Agreed. Its the 'World' Cup. It should go round the world. I can't really understand the outcry to be honest.
I think the outcry is because we presented arguably the best package yet only picked up one vote other than our own. If the votes were given on a fair and just basis then we could have reasonably expected to get more than one poxy vote.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Was it just me who thought the presentation was fairly shit? Lots of images of foreign strikers like Tevez and Torres boositng shirt sales for their clubs? Would it not have been betetr to show thimngs like FC United's rise to the FA Cup third round? Or kids playing in the freezing cold on a Saturday morning? It seeemd to me to be a gloriofied advert for the Premier League rather than anything else.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotMally&quot wrote: Hosting it once already does not mean it can't be awarded again as Germany clearly demonstrates.

&quotAnd surely, politics and corruption aside - it's as open a vote as it's possible to be - FIFA don't 'give' the World Cup to anyone, do they?&quot

This must be a joke, Yes?
Far from it.

Surely this is the result of 22/23 constituent members who are all entirely independent of FIFA? Perhaps FIFA technically have to ratify the outcome but are they ever going to overturn the result because the vote is perceived to be biased or corrupt? They are not.

FIFA has not awarded the finals to Russia any more than they have prevented England from hosting them.

Maybe you're suggesting the onus is on FIFA to improve the current application and voting process beyond the current absolute farce and sham that it is, in which case your point is on the money.