Signings

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

Signings

Post by Mally »

In case you've missed it Quinn has re-signed and another hero returns - The long rumoured re-signing of Phil Gilchrist has finally happened.

Apparently Gilly was on the same sort of deal at Rotherham as Bradbury was with us which meant he only played a certian number of games up until they would have been forced to extend his contract.

A good solid and experienced defensive signing I'd say hopefully with at least one good season left in his tank- but then I haven't seen him play for a few years.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Hopefully the Gilchrist move will prove more productive than certain other recent homecomings, but I'm reasonably happy about that one.

The value of Quinn rejoining will probably depend on who else comes in in midfield - I'm more interested about which of our OOC keepers stays...

Shame about Sills, never really seemed to get a chance given the rest of our formation, but if as rumoured he was one of our highest earners then moving him out may mean two others coming in, which will be fine as long as JS still has the knack....
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Didn't we pay a fee for Sills? £100k was it? I agree he never got any decent service in our side last season - was he supplied with one decent cross? Can' say as I remember him looking dangerous at corners.
Money wasted.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Yes he had a very decent cross away at Stockport and scored if I remeber correctly.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Can't say I ever rated Sills. He was a panic buy and didn't really look close to being a league player.

I am (fairly) reliably informed that we will be signing 2 new strikers, a wing back from Southampton, another full back and a new midfielder. Gilly will be Captain.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Now Turley has also signed a new 2yr deal at the club as well.

What is interesting me is the comments that he and Quinn have made (and that have been quoted on the website) about how different the place feels now (&quotlike a new club&quot) and how positive it all feels post-Kassam and how they would hate to leave for a league club and see OUFC move up without them...

Of course, we have to wait and see what happens on the field once the new season actually starts, but there does appear to be quite some momentum building up off the field, which bodes well...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Now Turley has also signed a new 2yr deal at the club as well.

What is interesting me is the comments that he and Quinn have made (and that have been quoted on the website) about how different the place feels now (&quotlike a new club&quot) and how positive it all feels post-Kassam and how they would hate to leave for a league club and see OUFC move up without them...

Of course, we have to wait and see what happens on the field once the new season actually starts, but there does appear to be quite some momentum building up off the field, which bodes well...
All the talk does seem genuinely of this change in experience, but then again, I'm always slightly wary of the effect that a change in a player's wage packet brings.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:All the talk does seem genuinely of this change in experience, but then again, I'm always slightly wary of the effect that a change in a player's wage packet brings.

Interesting to know therefore how their Conference wage here compares to the league 2 wage they were offered elsewhere...
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Although the players' press statements do not prove anything, I think one can say that if things are a lot better in the club, then this is what one would expect to see...
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Jim Smith's is quoted as saying in the OM that 'Tardiff and Turley are the best two goalies in the lower leagues'.

If that is the case why did he bring the Italian Gelding in?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Jim Smith's is quoted as saying in the OM that 'Tardiff and Turley are the best two goalies in the lower leagues'.

If that is the case why did he bring the Italian Gelding in?
Massive mistake on JS's part. There was no logic to it whatsoever. Let's hope we don't witness similar stupidity in the future.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Not quite the massive influx that we were led to expect today is it?

From what little I remember from the Non League press last season reports of our Eddie were quite favourable, but we shall have to wait and see.

Hopefully the two trialists will prove themselves worthy as well..