recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Fuck off back to Reading.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Think we're as bad as Barnet, do you?

No-one said this year was going to be easy. We may all have hoped for better but just see, perhaps a January signing or two and we'll go on a run.

You have to be spectacularly bad to get relegated, we know that from experience. Keep the faith!
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Non-panic.

Not a crisis yet, but there are things that need to be sorted urgently.

2 up front. Neither of whom are Constable, for a while. He needs to get his form back in the reserves.

So does Tonkin. And Heslop needs a complete rest, the boy looks all in.

Clist back in. And also Purkiss, at least until Batt learns how to cross the ball.

No more sacred cows. If you play sh*t you get dropped, irrespective of who you are. Too many of them have the golden ticket to the first team.

Exonerated from any blame tonight - Clarke, who did well to keep the score down (what a damning statement that is, against 10 men), and Payne, who covered every blade of grass in his fruitless search for non-static teammates.

The rest: Bleurgh. :cry:
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

It was worth the admission money just to see Josh Payne.

He was class in midfield.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

What on earth was wrong with Batt? his defending was shocking and his crossing was worse.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I was fortunate enough to miss last night's game, so just a few general thoughts. Apparently we have good competition for places all over the team. So why does Tonkin get back in as soon as he is fit again? Why does Batt get back in as soon as he is fit again (especially as we had to make a double change with the centre-backs)? Why is Constable still starting? Why is Constable still captain?

Competition for places does not mean players walk back into the side (were Kinni and Purkiss so bad?) Organisation needs a leader at the back or midfield (as made clear on another thread). Being unable to score fails to see someone else (Midson) given a proper run in the side.

I am glad we have not done a Notts County, but from now to Christmas is where CW really has to show what he is made of and can take the tough decisions that, so far this season, he seems to have been reluctant to make.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Some thoughts:

-Tonkin has to be dropped.
-If we can create a love child between Batt and Purkiss then we will have the ultimate League Two full/wing-back.
-I have no idea why Hall is a professional footballer.
-If we don't play Craddock down the middle then he might as well not play at all.
-4-3-3 (or whatever variant it is we are trying to play) needs to be changed now. It works when we are a superior team but at this level we are not so please can we have 4-4-2?!
-Constable has not become a bad player overnight but the chances he missed last night show a massive lack of confidence - not sure that dropping him will help but we can't carry on with him playing up there on his own missing glorious chances.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:Think we're as bad as Barnet, do you?

No-one said this year was going to be easy. We may all have hoped for better but just see, perhaps a January signing or two and we'll go on a run.

You have to be spectacularly bad to get relegated, we know that from experience. Keep the faith!
Spectacularly bad ? On current form we are relegation candidates. Two teams get relegated. Hereford seem to be sorting themselves out. Worse than us on present form - Barnet, Stockport (who beat us), Lincoln?
Keep the faith you say but you can't have much faith in the current squad if you don't expect us to go on a run until we've made a couple of signings in January. Two months of what before the window opens?

Clarke was execllent last night &amp Payne too.
Tonkin defensively woeful.
Batt's crossing was a joke but it wasn't only him. Did anyone get a decent cross in all night long? Our corners are jokes too. Scott Bevan must have been laughing - a bloke his size just says thank you very much.
Plus we don't seem to have the physical presence to compete for those run of the mill balls to give us half a chance.

Second time we have not been able to beat 10 men is a real pisser. And this was even worse because Torquay were able to break on a few occassions and outnumber us at the back even before we had removed a centre half. What an indictment that is.

Surely by now we know that just throwing on another forward doesn't work. Whilst Midson did not win the ball cleanly in the air he at least stopped the centre half from doing so.

Beano's miss was the miss of a striker with no coolness in front of goal. If that had been Craddock - who again received some ridiculous stick &amp imho didn't have a bad game - there would have been cries of get the lazy b*****d off. (actually if that had been Craddock he would probably have scored.

Finally LSD needs a mention too - he looked as dangerous as anyone and was close to fashioning something. It was Sam who set up Beano for that glaring miss.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:You have to be spectacularly bad to get relegated, we know that from experience. Keep the faith!
No, what we know from experience is that you can be quite unlucky, and amass a reasonable points total, and still get relegated out of the league simply because NOBODY has been spectacularly bad that season. It also helps if you have a team that generally lack a bit of fight and nous.

I share James' fears absolutely. Last night was a relegation performance, no question about it.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Clarke - Oustanding
Worley and Franks looked nervous, but that's because so much had been made of them being &quotyoung and inexperienced&quot in the lead up to the game.
Tonkin - Swap for Kinni now.
Batt - Has just come back from a long lay off, crosses will come in time.
Payne - Outstanding
Heslop - Looks like he needs a rest.
Hall - Swap for Clist
Green - Looked ok..
Constable - should not be captain, he's not concentrating on his own game and also is not gee'ing the team up enough.
Craddock - Should play up front in a 4-4-2.

Subs - Potter and Deering looked like decent players, but we didn't give them the ball enough.

Midson - looks like a decent forward, but I doubt Wilder thinks he has a future her
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Statistics don't tell the whole story, of course, but they can be useful: http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/te ... rdUtd.html

In particular note how much better we are against bottom half opposition than top half. On that basis, we're a mid-table League 2 side, which despite the euphoria of an excellent few games in September, must surely have been the goal in August.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I don't like the title of this thread - what a stupid thing to post. If someone could change it I'd be most obliged.

We shouldn't panic. We never thought it would be easy going up a league and we should think ourselves lucky to be here. we need to get behind the players and manager and help them to improve. Yes a few need dropping/resting and hopefully CW will do that for Saturday, as the FA Cup is very much a secondary priority. but we have good players at this club and players who are capable of the Bristol Rovers result, or the Hereford away resulty, or the Port Vale result.

Keep the faith
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I may be in a minority of one here, but I thought that we were much better with a 433 last night than with a 442 in the second half.

I would never bring both Potter/ Deering on at half time when we are chasing a game. Deering I thougt was extremely poor and the crossing was woeful.

Payne was excellent in the first half- the best player on the pitch with their right winger.

Oh and one further worry/ criticism. How can we have so many corners and not look dengerous in one of them? Payne and Heslop can pass a football, and we have Worley, Franks, JC and even Midson for the last 20 minutes, but we never looked to cause any problems from corners.

We realy should have won the game by half time yesterday, but apiece of bad defending and a reluctance to take our chances cost us dear....again.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quottheox&quot wrote:Some thoughts:

-Tonkin has to be dropped.
-If we can create a love child between Batt and Purkiss then we will have the ultimate League Two full/wing-back.
-I have no idea why Hall is a professional footballer.
-If we don't play Craddock down the middle then he might as well not play at all.
-4-3-3 (or whatever variant it is we are trying to play) needs to be changed now. It works when we are a superior team but at this level we are not so please can we have 4-4-2?!
-Constable has not become a bad player overnight but the chances he missed last night show a massive lack of confidence - not sure that dropping him will help but we can't carry on with him playing up there on his own missing glorious chances.
I agree with this.