LSD

Anything yellow and blue
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

It is a fine line between clear standards for all and being so rigid as to stifle individuality.

If Wilder only wants ‘perfect’ players who are young, fit, hungry and subservient to him with no previous bad history, he is going to find the talent pool very small.

However LSD also has to learn that there are rules and levels of conduct and commitment required in any walk of life. He has let himself down on a number of occasions.

Overall I would be very sad if Deering leaves. But without knowing the reasons, it would be wrong to apportion blame.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Potter is massively overrated by our fans. He rarely beats a man and when he does his final ball is often poor. Every time I see LSD he demands the ball gets involved and does something useful with it. He’s always impressed me when he’s come on as sub under Wilder and on the few times he’s started he’s looked good, and I don’t think has been given a chance and the formation we play with doesn’t help him.

To be honest I really couldn’t care what happens on the training pitch, if you’re doing the business on the pitch you must be doing something right off it. Clearly he has an attitude problem, a lot of top players do, and it is somewhat frustrating that instead of smoothing off the rough edges, when faced with a difficult and very talented young player Wilder gets rid.

Not that I don’t think Wilder is an awesome manager and we’re lucky to have him.
Potter rarely beats his man?

Come and see me before the next match and I'll lend you some matchsticks. These will help you keep your eyes open during the game. :wink:

Seriously, Potter is a class act.

And I think losing LSD will come back to bite us on the bum.
Potter a class act - come on GY! He's played 13 games this season so far - and is yet to score, Joey was a class act becasue he scored from the wing at a far higher level, I thought Alfie struggled last season and couldn't get a spot in a non-league team and has hardly set the world alight this season.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Potter is massively overrated by our fans. He rarely beats a man and when he does his final ball is often poor. Every time I see LSD he demands the ball gets involved and does something useful with it. He’s always impressed me when he’s come on as sub under Wilder and on the few times he’s started he’s looked good, and I don’t think has been given a chance and the formation we play with doesn’t help him.

To be honest I really couldn’t care what happens on the training pitch, if you’re doing the business on the pitch you must be doing something right off it. Clearly he has an attitude problem, a lot of top players do, and it is somewhat frustrating that instead of smoothing off the rough edges, when faced with a difficult and very talented young player Wilder gets rid.

Not that I don’t think Wilder is an awesome manager and we’re lucky to have him.

Come and see me before the next match and I'll lend you some matchsticks. These will help you keep your eyes open during the game. :wink:

Potter a class act - come on GY! He's played 13 games this season so far - and is yet to score, Joey was a class act becasue he scored from the wing at a far higher level, I thought Alfie struggled last season and couldn't get a spot in a non-league team and has hardly set the world alight this season.
OK I'll happily add in the words &quotat this level&quot.

Let's not pretend Alfie is a striker please.

Joey is in my top 3 united players of all time, but despite being a midfielder, I wouldn't pretend he did any defending of note.

Hold on it's just twigged. Your only criteria of a good player is when they're name is attributed to a goal. A la Duffy... :lol:
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

This might be the first time I've ever agreed with everything you've said in a post GY. Perhaps this could be the beginning of a detente in our relations? I went to Godalming in the summer by the way and it's a very nice place.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Potter rarely beats his man?

Joey is in my top 3 united players of all time, but despite being a midfielder, I wouldn't pretend he did any defending of note.

Hold on it's just twigged. Your only criteria of a good player is when they're name is attributed to a goal. A la Duffy... :lol:
Alfie is an attacking player is he not? In fact he has been playing as one of the front 3 in a 4-3-3 formation has he not, more often known as a &quotstriker&quot? Therefore yes I would quite like to see him get some goals.

Personally, I think the mark of a good attacking player is their ability to get some goals - these are quite important in football.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:Would the club be entitled to some sort of youth development sell-on clause like Torquay had with Matt Green?
Oxford will definitely be entitled to compensation if LSD goes on a free transfer, but I suspect that United will be looking to get a fee for him.
He's got two years left on his contract so I hope and expect that we're going for a fee and a sell-on clause. Youth development compensation only comes into play, I believe, when the player, under 24, is out of contract and has rejected a new deal.
Last edited by deanwindass on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Of course, it could be much simpler than that, like the Rage Online Sponsorship curse. :(
Or the TT Accounting sponsorship curse!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:Of course, it could be much simpler than that, like the Rage Online Sponsorship curse. :(
Or the TT Accounting sponsorship curse!
Not my fault this time. I didn't renew my sponsorship of LSD, but the club have never pulled my company name from it.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote: Potter a class act - come on GY! He's played 13 games this season so far - and is yet to score, Joey was a class act becasue he scored from the wing at a far higher level, I thought Alfie struggled last season and couldn't get a spot in a non-league team and has hardly set the world alight this season.

Alfie is an attacking player is he not? In fact he has been playing as one of the front 3 in a 4-3-3 formation has he not, more often known as a &quotstriker&quot? Therefore yes I would quite like to see him get some goals.

Personally, I think the mark of a good attacking player is their ability to get some goals - these are quite important in football.
Depends what you mean by an attacking player. He's a winger being played wide up front, out of position.

I agree with you that he should score more, but your gambit at the top of this discussion was that he rarely beats his man and is highly overrated, and both statements are clearly wider of the mark than Potter's shooting.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:

This might be the first time I've ever agreed with everything you've said in a post GY. Perhaps this could be the beginning of a detente in our relations? I went to Godalming in the summer by the way and it's a very nice place.
I wasn't aware that we needed a beginning of a detente. Sorry if I've upset you previously.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

LSD: Potential? Yes, but what is his position? Will he ever find it?
Alfie: Exciting? Yes, but does he have an end product?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I think we were carrying Sammy, but now he's not in the team I can't help thinking about that game at Whaddon Road.

Oh no, we've dropped LSD and now we're getting flashbacks to Nam...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Potter is massively overrated by our fans. He rarely beats a man and when he does his final ball is often poor.
I wouldn't say 'massively overrated', but I agree that Potter often disappoints. His decision-making on the ball is poor and, yes, he should definitely be scoring more goals. Or even some goals would be nice.

I thought that Deering had the ability to unlock defences better than Alfie seems to be able to do. A good player to have on the bench.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Potter and Deering are wingers, end of. Sam may have pushed it a bit with our current God but on the flip side Chris Allen is now employed by the club in a coaching role (much to my disappointment as I can’t watch him play for North Leigh any more) so maybe Wilder will talk to Chrissie about what brings in the crowds and money to OUFC. i.e. it’s not all about points gained but an attractive football match that people pay quite a lot of dosh to watch.

We tout 4-3-3 to the media but in essence it’s 4-5-1, and I think that’s why Beano’s gone off the boil.

Craddock plays way too deep, Midson spends most of his time on the substitutes bench and Matt Green is another LSD the way things are going.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:I think we were carrying Sammy, but now he's not in the team I can't help thinking about that game at Whaddon Road.

Oh no, we've dropped LSD and now we're getting flashbacks to Nam...
Congratulations, Boris. Even by your standards that's exceptionally contrived, and possibly one of the worst jokes ever to feature on this august website. I hope you're pleased with yourself.