ALDERSHOT: four wins in 19 games.

Anything yellow and blue
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: A few fools are bemoaning Beano, but he is our topscorer, it is the other strikers who are not pulling their weight in the goals for column.
He's scored in four games this season. Hardly setting the world alight himself either.
He's got 7 in 12, league and cup, pretty good return for a striker. It's the others around him that need to start pulling their weight - eg Potter. It'd be nice to see Hall on the scoresheet too.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: A few fools are bemoaning Beano, but he is our topscorer, it is the other strikers who are not pulling their weight in the goals for column.
He's scored in four games this season. Hardly setting the world alight himself either.
He's got 7 in 12, league and cup, pretty good return for a striker. It's the others around him that need to start pulling their weight - eg Potter. It'd be nice to see Hall on the scoresheet too.
You're missing the point. The side, as a whole, is not scoring enough goals in enough games - and I would include Beano in that. Scoring a hat trick against Morecambe is great, but it's still only three points.

As the central striker in a front three, only scoring in 4 games out of 12 isn't a great return. Yes, the other forward and midfield need to weigh in more, but (as above) I wouldn't exclude Beano from that.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote: He's scored in four games this season. Hardly setting the world alight himself either.
You're missing the point. The side, as a whole, is not scoring enough goals in enough games - and I would include Beano in that. Scoring a hat trick against Morecambe is great, but it's still only three points.

As the central striker in a front three, only scoring in 4 games out of 12 isn't a great return. Yes, the other forward and midfield need to weigh in more, but (as above) I wouldn't exclude Beano from that.
I've got the point, but there's no point arguing the issue - I just disagree with you. Beano can point to his contribution as pulling his weight, Potter, Green, Hall and even Heslop now can't.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:I've got the point, but there's no point arguing the issue - I just disagree with you. Beano can point to his contribution as pulling his weight, Potter, Green, Hall and even Heslop now can't.
Until recently I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly. Whilst Potter's performance on Saturday was rather better than of late, I thought Constable was poor throughout Saturday's match - and as he got more frustrated through the second half, he got more mouthy with the ref and, it looked to me, less bothered about doing his jobs as player and Captain. I don't know if something is going on with him, but on that performance I would rest him next week, start Midson, and see what a week off does for Constable.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:
&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:I've got the point, but there's no point arguing the issue - I just disagree with you. Beano can point to his contribution as pulling his weight, Potter, Green, Hall and even Heslop now can't.
Until recently I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly. Whilst Potter's performance on Saturday was rather better than of late, I thought Constable was poor throughout Saturday's match - and as he got more frustrated through the second half, he got more mouthy with the ref and, it looked to me, less bothered about doing his jobs as player and Captain. I don't know if something is going on with him, but on that performance I would rest him next week, start Midson, and see what a week off does for Constable.
Fair enough opinion, and possibly justlifed, but can you see it happening?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:Tonks nearly cost us a second goal with another badly placed back pass later in the game, his whole game seemed to be based on passing the ball backwards instead of getting it up the field. I would rather have Batt than Purkiss but that's not to say I don't like Purkiss. Green should have come on, he did a job aganist Port Vale and I thought hte game was crying out for him.
I agree with all that. Tonks tried a back pass header as well which fell short.

I certainly don't think Purkiss isn't good enough, he clearly is good enough, I just think Batt is significantly superior in a 4-3-3. I'm a big fan of Batt if case you hadn't noticed. :lol:
You used to think Foster was superior to Wright too .. :wink: Purkiss deserves his place on current form, a sounder defender,a more accurate crosser, and also taller than Batt.

An excellent signing. Wilder's good at picking defenders.

But wingers??? Hmmm.
Yes I did think that Foster was better than Wright to begin with. And Wilder agreed saying that Wright had had a difficult start to his career with the club.

As time went on last season Wright proved his worth and his early form that I and others were concerned about turned out to be just a settling in period.

As I recall, we've had this conversation about 20 times now. Going deaf in your old age? Or is it the memory loss? :wink:

When both Batt and Purkiss are fully fit, I bet Batt will get the nod. And given that by your own words that Wilder is good at picking defenders, you will be hoist by your own petard. :lol:
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Sackcloth, re substitutes: being Ancient, my memory struggles, but I seem to recall that we had lost pretty much all shape by the end against Bury. And there were numerous occasions last season, particularly when we were slipping back from Stevenage and until he went back to the starting line-up and structure where both selection and substitution produced ugly shapes. But, then, we watch different games, don't we?

On the other hand .... I tend to agree about Purkiss: Batt is probably better going forward, certainly faster, but Purkiss seems a lot more solid defensively, notably in the air. And he certainly got forward plenty of times in the first half: not least for the cross that Hall headed onto the crossbar and Beano (ahem) failed to convert on the rebound.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Can we finally beat Aldershot on Saturday?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Yes we can !

Made hard work of beating a poor Aldershot outfit but got the right result in
the end. After taking an early lead we should have gone on to put them to the sword given their obvious lack of confidence and the pressure on under fire boss Kevin Dillon.

Beano's introduction made a difference and his physicality in outmuscling Vincent to drive into the box where Maclean set up Craddock to drive under Young, made it a good three points at our bogey ground.

Good performances from Clist, McLaren,Wright and Batt on a really poor surface contributed to the win. Worley did OK I felt.

After six attempts I finally witnessed an Oxford win at the Wreck 24 years after attending my first match there - the infamous 0-3 FA Cup loss on a cold and snowy 10/01/1987 (Johnny Aldridge's last match) Not much seems to have changed at this fourth division outpost during the intervening period.

A desperately depressing sprawl but surrounded by some lovely
towns and villages i.e Church Crookham , Hartley Wintney and Fleet.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

Good summary, OUFC4eva - thanks for posting it.

Was the match as one-sided as the stats suggest? According to the official match report (and I think the BBC one as well), Aldershit had 79% of possession! Shurely shome mishtake?!?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:Good summary, OUFC4eva - thanks for posting it.

Was the match as one-sided as the stats suggest? According to the official match report (and I think the BBC one as well), Aldershit had 79% of possession! Shurely shome mishtake?!?
79% - absolute rubbish. I'd guess at about 52/48, if not a little more, in our favour. But I'm biased of course.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

An excellent summary, for me highlighted by
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Yes we can !

Beano's introduction made a difference and his physicality in outmuscling Vincent to drive into the box where Maclean set up Craddock to drive under Young, made it a good three points at our bogey ground.

Beano as a team player, rather than trying to do it all on his own and usually qualified as 'leading by example'.

It was good to see cool, clinically passing inside the box from 3 good strikers.

I think he has had a wake up call.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:According to the official match report (and I think the BBC one as well), Aldershit had 79% of possession! Shurely shome mishtake?!?
79% - absolute rubbish. I'd guess at about 52/48, if not a little more, in our favour. But I'm biased of course.
I'd be surprised if it was 79% - I don't even manage that on FIFA 2010 on the Wii!
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote: the infamous 0-3 FA Cup loss on a cold and snowy 10/01/1987 (Johnny Aldridge's last match)
No it wasn't.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote: the infamous 0-3 FA Cup loss on a cold and snowy 10/01/1987 (Johnny Aldridge's last match)
No it wasn't.
Go on Boris tell us what game was then. Or do I have to look it up?