VALIANT UNITED BEAT VALE...

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

OUFC is worth less now than it was when WPL bought it not more. At the time the club itself was effectively valued at nothing and WPL had to settle the debt of £2 million to take control. The value of the club itself may have (unlikely though) increased a bit from the £0 valuation but the debt has now doubled so it would cost twice as much to a new buyer.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

Well I'll be brave and say that the club isn't really worth anything untill we get another promotion.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]“OUFC is worth less now than it was when WPL bought it not more. At the time the club itself was effectively valued at nothing and WPL had to settle the debt of £2 million to take control. The value of the club itself may have (unlikely though) increased a bit from the £0 valuation but the debt has now doubled so it would cost twice as much to a new buyer.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:Well I'll be brave and say that the club isn't really worth anything untill we get another promotion.
You can’t be brave, Tim, as you don’t have that kind of money to put on the table any more than I can. However, other more affluent gamblers with an interest in OUFC might have the resources though, and the current odds of another promotion this season are not bad - http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... /promotion

//

As for my smoking habit, Dartford Ox, then I can inform you that I recycle religiously so I can dig out another empty carton at any time from the Black Box my excellent Council here in Witney empties for me each week.

So, still no spreadsheet from the fans, even on a board like this.

Tsk..., but I bet this bloke has got one - http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/ashwini-tawakley/11/755/a76
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]“OUFC is worth less now than it was when WPL bought it not more. At the time the club itself was effectively valued at nothing and WPL had to settle the debt of £2 million to take control. The value of the club itself may have (unlikely though) increased a bit from the £0 valuation but the debt has now doubled so it would cost twice as much to a new buyer.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

[quote=&quotMally&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]“OUFC is worth less now than it was when WPL bought it not more. At the time the club itself was effectively valued at nothing and WPL had to settle the debt of £2 million to take control. The value of the club itself may have (unlikely though) increased a bit from the £0 valuation but the debt has now doubled so it would cost twice as much to a new buyer.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:And while we’re on that subject it didn’t give Us a discount for dropping into Division V but it does have a clause that increases the rent when we go up to Division III. Well done to WPL and their fantastic legal team (not).
No it doesn't. Under clause 3.1(vi) there is a potential increase if the club is promoted to the Championship. There are no other clauses specifying a potential increase in the Licence Fee based on promotion.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot][quote=&quotMally&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]“OUFC is worth less now than it was when WPL bought it not more. At the time the club itself was effectively valued at nothing and WPL had to settle the debt of £2 million to take control. The value of the club itself may have (unlikely though) increased a bit from the £0 valuation but the debt has now doubled so it would cost twice as much to a new buyer.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Lenagan plus points:
- Kept the club afloat and covered losses
- Appointed Kelvin Thomas to run the club who via Wilder got us promoted
- Appointed Kelvin Thomas to run the club who stemmed the wasteful losses
- Not intefered in football matters
- Apparently not looking for immediate repayment of loans

Lenagan negative points:
- Appointed (or was led by) Merry and Smith who got us relegated
- Appointed (or was led by) Merry and Smith who blew £2m
- Failed to buy or come up with a plan to buy the stadium
- Financed the club via debt rather than equity
- Apparent lack of focus on, or strategic plan for OUFC

A curate's egg of an owner as far as I'm concerned. The Merry and Smith debacle caused a great deal of debt and pain that will take a good few years of success to overcome - I'd say 2 years at mid table in League 1 or better for me to stop looking over my shoulder and being haunted by the spectre of the poxy conference.

Beyond that the purchase and full exploitation of the stadium by the club (or it's holding company) and the removal of the debt are key requirements of a strategic plan.