Two World Wars and One World Cup, do da, do da..

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Two World Wars and One World Cup, do da, do da..

Post by Snake »

boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Have to say that I'm usually fairly ambivalent about wanting England to win, but on this occasion I'll be cheering on those good old boys like John Terry, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and all those other lovable tykes.

Now if we were playing Ghana on the other hand...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Maybe I really am the only one who finds reference to two events that saw the deaths of tens of millions of people and one football match nearly half a century ago rather pathetic and desperate. Is that really all our country has to show for the last 100 years of endeavour? Sorry - I forgot about that other match more recently......
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

TalkSport unsurpisingly claim it's ok to mention the war as the Germans started it by invading Poland.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:TalkSport unsurpisingly claim it's ok to mention the war as the Germans started it by invading Poland.
Although strictly speaking it was GB and France who declared war on Germany as part of a commitment they'd made to Poland (they'd also made the same commitment to Czechoslovakia, but apparently felt less compelled to protect the Czechs following the annexing of Sudetenland). Anyway, you lot were neutral so stay out of our petty nationalism and aggressive posturing, please :shock:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:TalkSport unsurpisingly claim it's ok to mention the war as the Germans started it by invading Poland.
Although strictly speaking it was GB and France who declared war on Germany as part of a commitment they'd made to Poland (they'd also made the same commitment to Czechoslovakia, but apparently felt less compelled to protect the Czechs following the annexing of Sudetenland). Anyway, you lot were neutral so stay out of our petty nationalism and aggressive posturing, please :shock:
His lot were presumably too busy sharpening their Victorinox's and Wenger's. :lol:

Out of interest, have you done your National Service SB?

It's bizarre, and quite distasteful and disrespectful, how the World Wars get mentioned every time we play Germany. I wish it would stop.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Personally I find references to the wars a bit boring, rather than offensive.

&quotFive One And Even Heskey Scored&quot is more up-to-date, more related to football, and easier to sing.

The best thing is, if England get to the semis, it looks like they'll have to get there via Germany and Argentina. At least nobody will moan about an easy ride!
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

No National Service for me, was over here getting educated (at not much)

I do have a Semi-Automatic Rifle and 90 rounds, but they don't let me out with it.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Personally I find references to the wars a bit boring, rather than offensive.

That is an interesting point, Smileyman - I have felt the same way for a couple of years or more. It is unoriginal and well past its time.

Despite Backenbauer's comments - which stretch my tolerance a bit - I find it much more comfortable to dislike the French and Portuguese. They seemed to have cornered the market in insufferable tossers eg Gallas, Ronaldo, Ribery, Carvalho.
yellowportly
Brat

Post by yellowportly »

It is vaguely ironic that these days in the UK about half the cars on the road are German, quite a few of the Railway companies are German, and so is one of the biggest power companies ...

... oh, and they invariably beat us in World Cup games

And anyway, it gives the jockeroos someone to cheer for on Sunday
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

I'm Swiss so luckily I get to hate Austrians, Germans and the French as Geographic hostiles.

French speaking Swiss dislike the Italian Swiss and German Swiss and viceaversa..

Then from within the French part we all hate each other, Geneve hates Lausanne and so on.

The West Geneve, dislikes the East.

And then you dislike people over the other side of the road too.

Very much like the UK :-p
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:Maybe I really am the only one who finds reference to two events that saw the deaths of tens of millions of people and one football match nearly half a century ago rather pathetic and desperate. Is that really all our country has to show for the last 100 years of endeavour? Sorry - I forgot about that other match more recently......

Apologies for any offence caused, but must go now as I need to go and order this album to play on Saturday night.

http://www.pasttimes.com/cds/the-dam-bu ... vt/812966/
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:Maybe I really am the only one who finds reference to two events that saw the deaths of tens of millions of people and one football match nearly half a century ago rather pathetic and desperate. Is that really all our country has to show for the last 100 years of endeavour? Sorry - I forgot about that other match more recently......
Me too.
And boring.
Lets get original.
I want to beat the Germans not because they are Germans but because they are our opponents in the round of 16.
History is just that - history.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

At least winning the play-off final might stop people bleating on about the Milk Cup Final being the greatest day in the club's history. :wink:
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote: I want to beat the Germans not because they are Germans but because they are our opponents in the round of 16.
History is just that - history.
Am I alone in finding it odd hearing Oxford fans referring to England as &quotwe&quot/&quotour&quot. I know I'm much less of a nationalist than most people, but I just can't get my head around people supporting two teams. I assume (with no evidence to do so) that people on here would support United if they ever played England?