New signing

Anything yellow and blue
The OXman Cometh
Brat

New signing

Post by The OXman Cometh »

Simon Heslop has signed on a 3 year deal, 23 yr old midfielder.
I can't quite make out where from so I assume he is a free agent?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Yeah, he was released by Barnsley at the end of the season, having previously spent time on loan at Luton and Kettering.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

From a Luton fan:

Good signing for you lot, He was excllent in his loan spell for us and I'd hoped we'd keep him. Although he came with lots of warnings about being a lazy so and so. Will be interesting to see how he does on a more secure contract.

From a Grimsby fan:

God he was awful. Couldn't be bothered, looked like he didn't want to play. Try the most stupid long passes all the time. However when it paid off, it worked. Also likes to shoot...a lot.
Mark G
Puberty

Re:

Post by Mark G »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Yeah, he was released by Barnsley at the end of the season, having previously spent time on loan at Luton and Kettering.
Apparently involved in the Barnsley 1st team squad (although only ever made a sub app for them in the league) when he was 16. Simon Heslop also played 31(2 sub) times scoring 5 for Halifax in 2007/2008 so CW should know plenty about his ability, character and style of play. The good thing is that he will have more experience and should have developed further. Also, had a short term loan spell in L2 with Grimsby making 8(3 sub) apps.

According to a fair few Luton supporters on their forum, he would have been a significant signing for them. They thought he was one of the major reasons (along with Keith Keane after they formed a partnership in midfield) why Luton went on an excellent run of form after Christmas.
Mark G
Puberty

Re:

Post by Mark G »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:From a Luton fan:

Good signing for you lot, He was excllent in his loan spell for us and I'd hoped we'd keep him. Although he came with lots of warnings about being a lazy so and so. Will be interesting to see how he does on a more secure contract.

From a Grimsby fan:

God he was awful. Couldn't be bothered, looked like he didn't want to play. Try the most stupid long passes all the time. However when it paid off, it worked. Also likes to shoot...a lot.
The good thing being that CW won't put up with a player being lazy. Also, Grimsby have been poor for a fair few seasons now so they may have dragged him down to their level! :twisted:
Peterorange
Puberty

Post by Peterorange »

I like this from KT...
&quotHe enjoyed a very successful loan spell at Luton last season and they were keen to secure his signing, however Simon wanted the opportunity to play in the Football League and we were pleased to be able to offer him that chance.&quot
Put the boot in, Kelvin :D
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

This is on Wiki in the article on Asa Hall:

&quotThe next season, Hall was again a regular player, though the arrival of Simon Heslop in March saw him demoted to the bench by new Luton manager Richard Money&quot

I wonder if CW will try to use them together or if they're competing for one place?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Anyone else worried about unproven 23 year olds being offered 3 year deals?
Andrewmaha
Brat

Re:

Post by Andrewmaha »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Anyone else worried about unproven 23 year olds being offered 3 year deals?
Uh yeh! Most definitely. 3 yrs at this level / age with this experience. Better be bloody good.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Anyone else worried about unproven 23 year olds being offered 3 year deals?
Very, but I was too polite to say! 3 years is a long time for anyone and we still have nightmares about the last player to be given a 3 year deal!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I think he's Luton's loss and Oxford's gain

The Luton Press think so too:

The three deal at United and added security probably edged it for Heslop
compared to two years at Luton on a higher basic ?

http&#58//www&#46lutontoday&#46co&#46uk ... 1552&#46jp
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
Very, but I was too polite to say! 3 years is a long time for anyone and we still have nightmares about the last player to be given a 3 year deal!
Well....Wilder has worked with him before and so will know what potential he has, Luton seemed keen on him, we need a bigger squad for the reserves matches, I imagine he isn't on megabucks and we have just had a serious windfall of the play-offs money (not that we should be frivilous but it probably isn't a huge financial gamble). Think I'd have stuck at 2 years though with an option to discuss a third around February of next year when we would know a bit more about him.

I think we can give KT and CW have a bit of leeway in their judgement on past performance.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

They have not given anyone else a 3 yr deal have they so presumably they are pretty sure about this one. The other side of it is that id he turns out to be pretty darned good then he's tied to us for a reasonable time &amp if any other club wants him they will have to pay up.
But best to wait and see.