Grounds to look forward to next season (or not)

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Grounds to look forward to next season (or not)

Post by Boogie »

Accrington for the novelty value obviously.

Wycombe because for the Cup game we worked out a very pleasant way to get to the ground from a village real ale pub (although Hog might not agree).

Pity we are missing Saltergate and are being offered the new stadium instead. After seeing This Damn United would have liked to have gone.

Talking of Chesterfield anyone else seen the Chesterfield Pitch Invasion on Youtube. Comedy gold although it would be non-PC to tell you why!

Not: Barnet, Aldershot.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Accrington, obviously.

Other new grounds for me are Shrewsbury, Chesterfield, Morecambe, Hereford, and Rotherham (if they stay down).

Cheltenham, Wycombe and Northampton are all nice and local.

I'm happy to go to Barnet - found a lovely dosa place in Wembley which is en route (if you go that way).

I reckon there's probably a decent curry house or two in Bradford too. And I remember an excellent pub in the centre of Burslem (although Port Vale doesn't really have anything else going for it). And if Dagenham stay down then the tube route across London goes past Chapel Market where there's a brilliant all-you-can-eat curry house for just £3.95 or so.

Everyone's a winner!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

It would have been a pleasant way from the pub to the club if we'd used a 4x4 to get up that two mile hill and pass through the woods before descending through the fields to the ground because then we'd have had a ruddy car fairly nearby in which to go back up those ruddy fields and down that ruddy hill in the pitch-ruddy-dark! Otherwise it was perfect!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotHog&quot wrote:It would have been a pleasant way from the pub to the club if we'd used a 4x4 to get up that two mile hill and pass through the woods before descending through the fields to the ground because then we'd have had a ruddy car fairly nearby in which to go back up those ruddy fields and down that ruddy hill in the pitch-ruddy-dark! Otherwise it was perfect!
I don't know, youth of today, no sense of adventure. And think of all those red kites we saw, too ...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re: Grounds to look forward to next season (or not)

Post by Mooro »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:Wycombe because for the Cup game we worked out a very pleasant way to get to the ground from a village real ale pub (although Hog might not agree).
Which pub, which village??
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Edgar Street is a good away day, if only for the picturesque drive
from Oxford. We would take loads there.

Some terrific pubs on route too.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Grounds to look forward to next season (or not)

Post by Hog »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotBoogie&quot wrote:Wycombe because for the Cup game we worked out a very pleasant way to get to the ground from a village real ale pub (although Hog might not agree).
Which pub, which village??
I can't remember as I've tried to blank it from my mind. It was quite close as the red kite flies but by country lane and hills it was a ruddy long way!

Think of the walk from the village centre to FGR and double it, take away the footpaths and walk on a single carriageway lane having to dodge cars (being driven by locals who know they can park at the top) and once you've reached the summit slip down 3 muddy fields to the back of the home end. And at at the end of the game do it in reverse, only in the dark!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

From recollection, it was the Swan in West Wycombe, but Boogie's the expert.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Edgar Street.

Can't wait...lot's of ties from the English-side of my family and we've not played them in a league game since 76 or something.

Wycombe and Cheltenham for Derby reasons

Northampton again for ease of travel and cause we'll take piles of fans

Torquay and Morecombe if the dates are good and weather nice.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Aldershot. For the toilets.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

By the way....................

The season starts on August 7th...YAY!!!!!!!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Edgar Street.

Can't wait...lot's of ties from the English-side of my family and we've not played them in a league game since 76 or something.
Really that long ago. Bad memories. Had a full bus that broke down. Never made it to the game. Had to dish out plenty of refunds. Rainbow coaches - ggrrrrrrrr.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotRoo&quot wrote:By the way....................

Bloody hell, the cricket season doesn't end until September 4th.

I bet.... no.... I bloody well bet... we get Accrington away on 21st August.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:
&quotRoo&quot wrote:By the way....................

Bloody hell, the cricket season doesn't end until September 4th.

I bet.... no.... I bloody well bet... we get Accrington away on 21st August.
I bloody well hope not, one of my sisters is getting married that day, and Stanley is a must do ground.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

http&#58//www&#46beerintheevening&#46co ... st_Wycombe

There Hog. Fixed it for you. Now it's been revealed, it will be so crammed next time we play there we'll have to go somewhere else.

I am told there is nice hostelry called the White Horse serves a pint of Fosters with a few extras....