Torquay will sell Green but at a price...

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Torquay will sell Green but at a price...

Post by Swissbloke »

deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

They can piss off. They played no role in his development, quite the opposite since he hardly played for them and was only there for a year. It's also very apparent that they've only offered him a new deal so that they'd be entitled to a fee - just as we did with Eddie A a couple of years ago.

Kelvin will probably offer them something just to save the hassle of a tribunal but it won't be much I wouldn't think.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

They wouldn't get much if it went to tribunal so i would think a few thousand would persuade them to let Green go without too much of a fight.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I don't think Colin Lee will have much involvement in the matter.
He's just lost his job following huge trading losses being announced at TUFC.

http&#58//news&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport ... 017&#46stm
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I don't think Colin Lee will have much involvement in the matter.

£600k, in the year they themselves had a Wembley trip. A lesson to us all, I fear...
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

they digned expensive donkeys like Hargreaves :wink:
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

(Puts on Devil's Advocate robes)....is Matt Green a L2 player ?

Just stripping out the euphoria of the goals against Rushden and York - what do we think ?

I need to be a bit careful because GY got crucified for taking a position on Jake Wright - all I'm doing is asking a question !
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Up until the last few weeks, I'd been disappointed with Matt Green's contribution to the season. Despite flashes of excellence, he missed too many good chances, and often seemed to struggle to get involved in games. Having said that, I'd like a bit of continuity for a change, and if that means sticking with Greeno and Beano up front, I'd be very happy. They work well together. Midson I'm not so sure is up to League football.

I also think we need some midfielders. Assuming we will be without Chapman's services, we are desperate for some creativity. Sure, Murray should be able to do the business, but we need decent cover. Are Clist and Bulman good enough to make the step up? Probably, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Defence is where we shouldn't need to make too many changes. If Batt continues to improve, then three of the four of them should keep their spots (if Wright signs). Not sure about Creighton against more skillful strikers.

We need a new keeper though. Clarke has scared me in the last few months - he just doesn't inspire confidence like he did earlier in the season. And I was saying that well before Sunday's howler.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I don't think Colin Lee will have much involvement in the matter.

Just read the article. How on earth was he ever chief exec? His experience was all at coaching and football management level. Bizzarre.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:(Puts on Devil's Advocate robes)....is Matt Green a L2 player ?

Just stripping out the euphoria of the goals against Rushden and York - what do we think ?

I need to be a bit careful because GY got crucified for taking a position on Jake Wright - all I'm doing is asking a question !
I think that's a perfectly valid question to ask, especially as we'd have to pay some sort of (albeit probably small) fee for him. He's got a decent goals to games ratio though and there isn't too much of a step up in quality in reality I'm sure. Plus he has played a big part in getting us there and team spirit is a factor to consider - the team looked to have bonded during the run in as shown at the parade!

The thing with GY and Wright is not that he took a stance about him early on, or questioned the logic of signing him, which he was perfectly entitled to do. What I found amusing/irritating was how reluctant he was to budge even when JW demonstrated game after game that he is probably the best defender we've had at the club in years, pointing out errors few others saw and, complaining about him following MOTM performances. Like signing Beano was last summer, in my opinion keeping Wright should be no.1 priority for CW.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I think you need a balance in any football team.

I am not averse to signing talented, young, hungry players who
possess athleticism. I think the team would benefit from some league experience too.

I, too, am not 100% sure about Greeny, He appears to have many attributes such as speed, strength and power but I can't say i've seen too many 90 minutes performances. He seems an impact player but he has good ability.League Two: I'm not sure.

I'd love to see Beano playing off a big guy who knows the next level and can score goals too.

This guy could fit the bill but I'm unsure if he is a CW type player. He certainly is skilful, big and has scored plenty in the lower leagues.

http&#58//www&#46ntfc&#46co&#46uk/page/ ... 00&#46html
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I sometimes wonder what game my fellow Oxford fans watch.

Yeah, who wants a fast, direct, goal-scoring centre forward who scores a goal every two starts, get goals against good teams, and scores in big matches? Obviously some of you don't.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

We shouldn't be having a debate as to if matt green should become an oxford player or not. He should have done 2 seasons ago. It shows how far the club has come since the &quotwe can't sign him, he's got dodgy knees&quot days of old...
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I saw he had been released and thought the same thing - good lower league player and as you say has the physical presence we could need. not that beano can't put himself about of course
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:I sometimes wonder what game my fellow Oxford fans watch.

Yeah, who wants a fast, direct, goal-scoring centre forward who scores a goal every two starts, get goals against good teams, and scores in big matches? Obviously some of you don't.
Calm down, Dan. If you actually read the posts, you'll find that precisely nobody has said they don't want Matt Green in the team next season. As far as I can see, several people have debated his pros and cons, and all decided they'd like us to keep him.

If you think it's ridiculous to even debate the season he's had, I'd suggest either you have a very short memory or you only went to the 'big games' that he scores in. I can remember a few pretty pants performances from Matt Green this season (one as recently as 3 weeks ago at Nene Park - in quite a big game). I still think we've generally been at our best when Green and Constable play together up front though.