Beginning of a journey?

Anything yellow and blue
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Beginning of a journey?

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

Well the reverse psychology re the handle change did the trick!

Where to begin re yesterday? A great day with 26 friends and family up in Club Wembley and boxes. Guinness a snip at £4.40 a pint. : [

Other highlights. Boogie and Hog with Hampshire Yellows flag. AC waxing pessimism at half time, as per bloody usual.

Nonetheless I was also absolutely convinced we would blow it in the second half. Counting the clock down from 46 minutes onwards.

Just the most massive release when Alfie scored. Tears, tumult, pandemonium. On reflection that was one hell of a tight game. All credit to York they pounded us in the last 20 minutes. But we took our chances ....brilliantly.

Cuddling Snakey after the game, great to share the moment with you John. I liked the suit.

Bumping into Kelvin Thomas an hour or so after the match as we were leaving. ' 'Back in the Football League' he said.

Nothing much more to say is there?

Apart from passing on his thanks to all who participated in the 12th Man scheme.

Still can't get over the fact we've done it. But hard head on we need four or five new players now.

To keep the mojo going.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Well, of course I was waxing pessimism, it's the only way to stay sane! What really suprised me was how quickly the second half seemed to go by ... I thought that every second would seem like an hour, and I did do a lot of glancing at the clock on the stadium screen, but still, it didn't seem like endless torture.

And they all turned up, no-one froze, they all played their part. He'll probably get lost in the mentions in dispatches but a big cheer for Beast - he was immense, particularly in the first half, in neutralising their aerial threat - it's not just that he wins so many headers, it's the distance he gets on them, stops the ball coming straight back to us. But one of many, many heroes.

Thanks to Boogie, Hog, Hoglet and the rest of the crowd for letting me bounce around like an idiot.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Oh it's such a perfect day,
I'm glad I spent it with you.
Oh such a perfect day,
You just keep me hanging on,
You just keep me hanging on.

Started on the train packed full of Oxford fans - standing room only full of nervous excitement. Then arriving at Wembley and everywhere you look it's all Yellow.

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah, they were all yellow.

Meeting up with everybody in the Plaza Hotel - even Kelvin was there (plus the wags) and all the mates and fans. Some had literally walked through the night (26 miles) to be there (Hells). Nobody with a proper name was allowed in just the likes of Yeovil, Killer, Shearer, Garthy, Gilly, Mish, DLT, Betfair, GG, the list goes on...

Into club Wembley and loads of familier and friendly faces amongst the new (old?) ones. Even managed to be sitting a few rows infront of Womble so we could shout the traditional &quotShut up Womble&quot to his customary &quotCome on yoooooouuuu Yeeeeeeeeellllowwwwwwwws&quot

The game itself was perfect. Two great goals to get us going and calm the nerves and then that Clarkey moment to keep us on the edge of our seats (talking of which are all football league seats padded? I can't remember). The second half flew by and then that goal. Not just a scrappy goal or a snap shot but one with a proper inevitable build up that got everybody on their feet ready for the moment when we knew - really believed for the first time - that we were back

It didn't stop there though. Singing all the way out of the ground down to Wembley High Street and into Thirsty Eddie's in time to see the last over of the cricket and watch England win a World Cup. More drinks in 'spoons where Sky coveniently showed the higlights on the big screen to loud cheers.

Then back on the train - still full of Yellow - and even a crest fallen, but gracious in defeat, York city fan to offer his muted congratulations.

Back home by 11:00 to watch it all over again in HD!

Those are just the bits I can remember!

The perfect day! - The U's are back!
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I have just clicked on the League Two button on the BBC Sport website for the first time in four years and discovered that those mega clubs, Morecambe, Dagenham and Aldershot are contesting the play offs.

Start saving folks, we could be going back next year.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:I have just clicked on the League Two button on the BBC Sport website for the first time in four years and discovered that those mega clubs, Morecambe, Dagenham and Aldershot are contesting the play offs.

Start saving folks, we could be going back next year.
Wouldn't be at all surprised but there is no reason to think that we couldn't be going for automatic promotion next season.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Just got home from Wembley – need to feed Sooty and just go to bed for a couple of hours ‘cos I’m all done in and Broad Street on Tuesday night is still to come...

Awesome day out, just perfect.

Fantastic stadium, great corporate entertainment spoilt only by Brian Lee and his pathetic speech between courses of the pre-match dinner. However this was more than made up by the fact that I was sat right next to Dennis Smith for lunch. 14 years since that last glorious promotion day and facinating to chat (and chat and chat...) to the guy who last took Us up.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Just got home from Wembley – need to feed Sooty and just go to bed for a couple of hours ‘cos I’m all done in and Broad Street on Tuesday night is still to come...

Awesome day out, just perfect.

Fantastic stadium, great corporate entertainment spoilt only by Brian Lee and his pathetic speech between courses of the pre-match dinner. However this was more than made up by the fact that I was sat right next to Dennis Smith for lunch. 14 years since that last glorious promotion day and facinating to chat (and chat and chat...) to the guy who last took Us up.
I trust Sooty is enjoying fresh fish at the moment, to make up for the bruisings of previous years!
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Picked Hog and Hoglet up in Bas at 12 noon. Hog decorates my car as my scarf on the back shelf was just not good enough! Many toots as we joined the A40 from the M25.

Parked at Rayners Lane Tube for £1 (that's that secret blown for next time!) at 1. Went to Village Inn. Met at door by man in shirt and tie. The manager we thought. No, the local church organist and chorister, originally, from Oxford wishing us luck. What is that if not an omen? No I'm not religious, really I'm not.

Met others at pub. Others later at foot of Wembley Park steps. Walk up Wembley Way. Done that walk about 15 times since New Wembley opened. Hairs on back of my neck stand up - that hasn't happened before!

Went in the main Club Wembley entrance for the first time (sounds like Boris might have been sitting in my normal seat!) and found Sackcloth at the top of the escalators who then acted as camaraman for us.

The 16 took up our positions. Not for long as we were bouncing up and down the rows when Green and then Beano scored. Really good view of Clarkey's howler (he had dried his hands on his towel shortly beforehand). Cue half-time nervousness although it seems that AC took out his pessimism on Sackcloth, not me, for a change.

As others have said, second half went very quickly. I remember saying we were playing too deep as the pressure mounted. The unwise substitutions. In Wilder we do not trust - what about cramp and injuries in extra time. Oh and penalty takers have been taken off.

In CW we trust. We break away, Potter, Dearing 1-2 (assisted by defender more concerned about offside than cutting out the return pass).

Delerium! Excessive bouncing up and down the rows, bounce, bounce, bounce, final whistle, bounce, bounce bounce. Scrum for view of Royal Box presentation, loads of photos snap snap snap. champagne moment on pitch. snap bounce snap bounce snap bounce.

Not wanting to leave. Let it sink in. Doesn't sink in. Have another drink. Damn, I have to drive back later. Watching mad Yellows dancing in the fountains outside the arena.

Time to go home. Get back on A40, overtaken by coaches. Driving like a zombie. Get RadOx in time for 10 minute wrap up at 8.50pm. What a great local radio station! Hoglet asleep in back. Drop Hog home 9.30pm.

Home in time to see slot on SSN and the goals. The goals. The goals. Is it sinking in?

Is it sinking in here and now? You bet. Up the football league we go.......

The office: A Toon, a Saint and a Yellow. What a season for one small office!

They are scraping me off the ceiling.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Well, of course I was waxing pessimism, it's the only way to stay sane! What really suprised me was how quickly the second half seemed to go by ... I thought that every second would seem like an hour, and I did do a lot of glancing at the clock on the stadium screen, but still, it didn't seem like endless torture.

And they all turned up, no-one froze, they all played their part. He'll probably get lost in the mentions in dispatches but a big cheer for Beast - he was immense, particularly in the first half, in neutralising their aerial threat - it's not just that he wins so many headers, it's the distance he gets on them, stops the ball coming straight back to us. But one of many, many heroes.

Thanks to Boogie, Hog, Hoglet and the rest of the crowd for letting me bounce around like an idiot.
It seemed to drag on forever for me. One of my abiding memories was looking up at the screen to see if I could see the Fourth Official hold up the injury time board and then Alfie came into my eyeline...

Still not sunk in yet!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

The second half flew by for me until the last 10 minutes, when I was certain York would score and then win it in extra time. Having only started supporting Oxford after the Milk Cup (about 1992 when I was old enough to go on my own) I never thought I would see Oxford at Wembley and to see that wall of yellow and blue was almost too much for me to take. As was the sight of Chappers afterwards. Those two moments, and of course Alfie's goal, are ones I will never forget and will replay endlessly in my head (and on my Sky||)
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Joey, are you able to copy it to DVD please? You'll make a lot of people VERY happy! (see the HELP thread!)
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I saw that, and would be happy to if I had the slightest clue how to. if someone can tell me how to do it I'll give it a go.