Toddler

Re: GETTEST THOU IN!

Post by chuckbert »

:D :) :lol: :x :roll:
Happy exile :D :) :lol:
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Thank god for the internet. An incredible performance, especially for the players to hold their nerve after Clarkey's slip. Annoying I could not be there with everyone, but I have already got my ST for next season. See you in The Priory come August.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Ah, that was brilliant. My best moment as an oxford fan (I began 23 years ago, just after the milk cup final) is right here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fvMtHhhr5I

you can see the start of wilder's glory slide on his arse, bottom right of the screen.
I'm glad the players weren't as nervous as I was throughout. An exceptional performance in the circumstances.
And england win the world t20 in cricket as well, I should probably give up sport right now as I'm not sure if there could be a better day.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:Ah, that was brilliant. My best moment as an oxford fan (I began 23 years ago, just after the milk cup final) is right here -

you can see the start of wilder's glory slide on his arse, bottom right of the screen.
I'm glad the players weren't as nervous as I was throughout. An exceptional performance in the circumstances.
And england win the world t20 in cricket as well, I should probably give up sport right now as I'm not sure if there could be a better day.
All spot on.

Just fucking brilliant. I can't sum it up any other way.

I went to my knees when that third went in, a proper out-pouring of emotion. I was hoisted up by two mates onto their shoulders and the celebrations began!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Fantastic day - the best I can remember. I savoured every moment.

I thought I would be in tears at the final whistle if we reclaimed our FL
status but I can honestly say that when I saw and heard the Oxford fans before the match I was welling up with pride. It was so emotional !

The team were superb and deserved their win and WE ARE BACK !
ConcreteBob
Baby

Post by ConcreteBob »

A great, great day.

Truly wonderful stuff. This is why I bother with Oxford United - for days like this!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Am i the only person who didn't enjoy it?

I loved taking the tube to the pub before the game, meeting oxford fans en route and chatting to them, while faceless Chelski fans sat on the tube ignoring each other. I loved being in a pub in Baker St pre-match which was the closest I'd come to the old London Road since we left the Manor. I loved the train ride out to Wemberleee.

I hated the people around me at the ground. Singing section? Fuck off! Hordes of children who were attending their first match and parents tutting at the language. Go and sit elsewhere if you don't like what we're saying. It was an option when you bought tickets. I didn't like the fact that people didn't know song, players names etc etc. I did't enjoy half time. Would have done if we'd been 2-0 up...!

However, I did enjoy the 2nd half which seemed to fly past. And esp the third goal. That goal was basically the final whistle for me. Amazing moment for me!

Most important game i've ever been to in my time supporting Oxford. The prize was huge and we've done it. We've only bloody done it. It feels amazing. All this effort we've been thought in the last 4 years (I'm personally thinking of Southport, Morecambe, Weymouth, D&ampR, Gateshead, FGR) and now were there... back to face D&ampR again (possibly...!)
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Loved it in the first half.

I said, just before Clarke's howler, &quotWe don't wanna concede now.&quot My fault - sorry. :shock:

Basically crapped myself throughout the second half. Was expecting the symmetry of the season to complete itself with York snatching the winner in the last minute.

Fell hopelessly in love with Alfie Potter.

His goal was THE best moment my life has experienced for as long as I can remember, sad old bastard that I am.

An extraordinary day. I'm off my face. Goodnight.
ConcreteBob
Baby

Re:

Post by ConcreteBob »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Am i the only person who didn't enjoy it?

I loved taking the tube to the pub before the game, meeting oxford fans en route and chatting to them, while faceless Chelski fans sat on the tube ignoring each other. I loved being in a pub in Baker St pre-match which was the closest I'd come to the old London Road since we left the Manor. I loved the train ride out to Wemberleee.

I hated the people around me at the ground. Singing section? Fuck off! Hordes of children who were attending their first match and parents tutting at the language. Go and sit elsewhere if you don't like what we're saying. It was an option when you bought tickets. I didn't like the fact that people didn't know song, players names etc etc. I did't enjoy half time. Would have done if we'd been 2-0 up...!
I'm afraid that's Wembley for you....

We all know who are the &quotreal fans&quot are. I just hope some of the fairweather types will be about come the start of next season.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

What a strange combination of emotions.

Major nerves from the point of waking up. It didn't feel like sleep had paid it's visit at all. Then the excitement of getting ready. Anxiety about something going horribly wrong on the journey.

Really enjoyable wandering around the stadium, admiring it's magnificence, seeing people you know, and some you don't know, stopping for a chat, and wishing them good luck. Taking in the atmosphere.

Then another bout of the nerves at 3.15 as we start to queue up to get in.

Then the joy of seeing so much yellow packed into our half, and a tinge of sadness that York were unable to replicate in their half.

Magnificent prformance, especially in the first half hour when the win was set up. York just couldn't contain us.

The roar that left us when Greeny scored, we never knew it was within us.

And then Beano, it had to be Beano. This was about as close to Heaven as you can get with your feet still planted on the ground.

Then we did the classic Oxford thing of beginning to sit back. The midfield stopped closing down, lost their shape and York began to pressure. The nerves are back again. We need a third goal. This is Oxford and we need 3 to be certain.

The back line held firm and were strong.

Then Clarke's mess up. Oh God no. Please no. Not this time. Not at Wembley.

Praying for the half time whistle.

Second half, and we were pressed back again. The midfield lost shape again, and we dropped back again. We keep sending the ball long. York have hit their stride big time. Again the back line were magnificent.

Wilder can see the danger and brings on Potter. He struggles to get into the game to begin with. York come again. Nails now all but eliminated down to the quick.

Come On we roared and screamed, sucking the ball away from the danger area, demanding that the ball be brought forwards.

Time for some LSD.

Now Potter clicked. Suddenly the game changed again, and we could bring the ball out of defence instead of hoofing it. We have he confidece to hold the ball and pass it. Short quick passing. York were on their heels, back peddling, trying to turn but seemingly incapable.

And that moment, in the last minute or so, when the relief and anguish and hurt of so many years was washed away, thanks to the boot of Mr Potter.

Gutteral primal roars from over 30,000 Oxford fans. Grown men reduced to tears. We knew there was no way back for York now.

And the sheer bliss of Constable floating up the Wembley steps to lift the trophy.

(Gulps back another potential moist moment).

Now, at long last, we can look forward to playing Accrington Stanley, who have had more than their fair share of influence in our history, yet we have never played them. We ca look forward to the horrors of Barnet, knowing that the only way is up, and we must NEVER, EVER, allow our club to be relegated from the Football League again.
Nashy
Toddler

Post by Nashy »

Superb analysis by GY -can't add much to that. 55 years of supporting the club and few really magic times but when they arrive its so much sweeter. 3 very good goals nad some decent passages of play under the circumstances..and when Alfie and Sam broke away it was indeed surreal. Many great performances but Wright was utterly outstanding and lets hope we can keep him..though it may take a few bob. Creighton not far behind and again Clist an unsung hero I thought. My heart went out to poor Chappers at the end. Just brilliant. Must move on and up from here. Btw thought 2nd half York played some decent stuff and hope they do well next season.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

As a slight side issue, did anyone else think that a half-full Wembley creates an odd atmosphere (possibly also not helped by the amount of day-trippers)?

Would it not be better to hold the game at somewhere like Villa Park? Its a more central location and holds almost precisely the right amount of fans.

Not that I really care as hopefully we won't ever have to play in a Conference play-off final again..............

And one last thing, lets all laugh at Luton!! :lol:
bspittles
Brat

Post by bspittles »

I was sat in front of a young girl (about 7ish) who was with her Dad (an ex-Barnet player, I gathered). Every time I turned to look at her, to make sure she wasn't being intimidated by the noise and the passion (and the language), she had a stupidly big grin on her face.

That's the memory I'll take from the game :-)

I think the third goal coming so late meant the real celebration started early, and the final whistle wasn't really as emotional as it could have been.

Fantastic atmosphere, great to chat to people on the train after the game (everyone too nervous before it started) and even driving home until midnight didn't dampen my excitement.

Anyone know what the first-half trouble was, possibly about Block 130?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:Ah, that was brilliant. My best moment as an oxford fan (I began 23 years ago, just after the milk cup final) is right here -

Great footage. Lovely way to start the week, watching that...