New Staff

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

New Staff

Post by Mally »

New commercial manager, new chief scout and a fitness coach. All these appointments are to be applauded, particularly as the fitness coach and chief scout are completely new roles, but can we have some players soon please?

I know that there's plenty out there and there's still time before the start of the season but pre-season training starts in a week.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

and now a new reserve coach (whose photo on the official site looked like one of those cctv images of shoplifters in the paper until they changed it).

does the wage cap in the conference work as the league wage cap, and include non-playing staff?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, the Conf wage cap just relates to players (albeit more stringently than the league wage cap). The problem with all these backroom staff will occur when (if) we get promoted, I guess.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:and now a new reserve coach
I'm all in favour of boosting the backroom staff - after all, this is the area everyone agreed that Kassam neglected most.

I do wonder what North's appointment says about Jim Smith's opinion of Patterson, though. There now appear to be two coaches (plus Smith himself) in more senior positions than him.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Its a shame for Patterson but I bet he's the best paid youth team manager outside the top 2 divisions. Its a case of new brooms I think but the fact that he was given a managers contract days before the takeover means they can't really afford to get rid of him. Could be a case for constructive dismissal if they fall out. Demoting somebody from the top job to the bottom job, even on the same money, in any other business would be grounds for constructive dismissal.

At most clubs every time a new manager comes in they tend to clear out the old staff and bring in their own. The fact that every new manager had to stick with the existing back room staff was probably a big part of the probem under Kassam.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Patterson's presence in the back ground casts a big shadow over Uncle Jim and his 'new era'.

If early results don't go well then the 'Patto would have done better' Brigade (of which I am a corporal) will bang their drums even louder if Patto is still around.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I wonder whether Patto has stated a preference to stay as Youth coach rather than Reserves/Asst to Smith? It may be if he cannot have the top job he's decided to stay doing what he knows and enjoys until a better opportunity comes along.

Doing that does not automatically mean he is ruling himself out of the running if/when Smith moves upstairs as I dont see either of Awford or North have managerial experience either.

In any case, it does seem as though we are in danger of having a proper backroom structure at the club, which will be a novelty.

As for players, I'm not panicing yet as most are holding on to see what offers they get before deciding where they go and we cannot expect (in fact maybe ought to be a tad suspicious) of anyone jumping at the chance of coming here ahead of another league club, however sh#tty they may be.

As with most summers, there are a couple of clubs who have signed loads of players quickly, but it will probably cost them and I dont remember it necessarily reaping rewards in the past.
My guess is that things will start happening soon anyway, particularly once July is upon us...although I'd like to think those current players weve offered contracts to would make their mind up pretty soon (well, Tardif at least).

My worry is the wage cap, because we cannot afford to cock that up this time if we want to get out of the division at the first time of asking...