It can't be very often...

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:There was a lot of talk leaving the ground about how a draw against Cambridge was a decent result and that drawing away and winning at home would see us champs - made again in the match report. I disagree, we need to win the majority of our games home and away otherwise Stevanage will overtake us. Eastbourne and Cambridge are pretty much in the same position in the league, we went to play for a draw, they clearly didn't, we need to get the mentality back of the second half of last season win win win win.
I know what you're saying, but this game was always going to be tough. A team who finished second last season, let's not forget, and hadn't beaten anyone except Chester since October. And were desperate for a win to get out of the drop zone. It's the kind of fixture we tend to lose. Which is something we often do at the Abbey anyway.

Were we really playing for the draw? I wasn't there, but it didn't sound like it. Bringing Deering on to run at their tired (and booked) defenders sounds pretty positive to me. It sounded on the radio like the sending off and the appalling set-piece deliveries were the main reason we didn't take all three points. Correct me if I'm wrong though...
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Hmm, since we could easily have won it, and easily have lost it, then a draw does seem a &quotfair&quot result in one sense of the word.

Not convinced that the &quotdraw away, win at home, we're safe&quot argument holds up. The key will be going to their place and taking three points at the end of the month - that will kill them psychologically. To do that, we need to get a real head of confidence and form going, which means winning every game in March, including tricky fixtures like Kettering at home and Rushden away.

Stevenage have a lot of fixtures in March, but they're all against modest opposition. Luckily for us, their April is a 'mare, but I'd prefer for Oxford to go out and win it rather than waiting for the opposition to slip up.

Of course, being Oxford, there's no chance of that happening.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:There was a lot of talk leaving the ground about how a draw against Cambridge was a decent result and that drawing away and winning at home would see us champs - made again in the match report. I disagree, we need to win the majority of our games home and away otherwise Stevanage will overtake us. Eastbourne and Cambridge are pretty much in the same position in the league, we went to play for a draw, they clearly didn't, we need to get the mentality back of the second half of last season win win win win.
I know what you're saying, but this game was always going to be tough. A team who finished second last season, let's not forget, and hadn't beaten anyone except Chester since October. And were desperate for a win to get out of the drop zone. It's the kind of fixture we tend to lose. Which is something we often do at the Abbey anyway.

Were we really playing for the draw? I wasn't there, but it didn't sound like it. Bringing Deering on to run at their tired (and booked) defenders sounds pretty positive to me. It sounded on the radio like the sending off and the appalling set-piece deliveries were the main reason we didn't take all three points. Correct me if I'm wrong though...
A midfield of Clist Chappers Bulman and Hargreaves is setting out to get a draw. Deering coming on was a positive mood until Tonkin got sent off and Beast came on for Green at which point we settled for a draw.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

According to the radio Deering was onthe bench because he had been unwell for two days.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Listening on the radio Jerome and Nick were scathing about our set piece delivery, so it must have been bad.

They also alluded that it was an error by Wright that resulted in Tonkin being sent off.

Jerome also sounded unsurprised that both Hargreaves and Bulman blasted shots over the crossbar.

Sounded like Clarke was back on his game and we could have nearly snatched it at the end.

What is the story with Fowler?
Before the game Tonkin said if he had to kick an ex team mate then he would. And he did!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

With regard to the allegation of lack of creativity in midfield – how unfair is that? Murray is injured. Deering has been unwell. Potter is injured too.
No we didn’t settle for a point when Beast came on for Green. It was us who were pressing at the end and if Clist had hit the ball an inch either side of the keeper right at the end we would have won. Midson showed good attacking intent. Am I the only one who thought we did well with 10 men?
There are still a lot of players off form though – Clist &amp Bulman || Batt.
I despair at our terrible dead ball delivery.
Too many individual errors – Day &amp Wright spring immediately to mind.
Green was excellent – his speed had them constantly worried. I too am completely why he and not the disappointing Grant was taken off.
At times we played some decent football – the build up to the goal was good &amp a little before that we put together a move that had about 10 passes without conceding possession.
Certainly not vintage but we’ve got players who will surely get back to form &amp others who will come back from injury who can only make us stronger.
And as for Stevenage – yes a threat of course but three of their goals last night came against 10 men. Some 10 men do crumble.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:You're a bit downbeat of your game assessment imo.
But you say that about everyone's report who doesn't big up our performance.
Stop talking rubbish.
Are you after Rosie's job? If so then you are nowhere near his level.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: But you say that about everyone's report who doesn't big up our performance.
Stop talking rubbish.
i.e in being an asinine optimist ? definitely agree with you there.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: Stop talking rubbish.
Asinine is a bit harsh.

Eternal idealist maybe. But then it's his job to make everyone believe.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: Are you after Rosie's job? If so then you are nowhere near his level.
Asinine is a bit harsh.

Eternal idealist maybe. But then it's his job to make everyone believe.
Yes, indeed, but is he any good at it?

I never went to the last FAT game so listened in on RadOx instead. Rosie was still banging on about how important it was for Us to equalize in the last few minutes, even though Jerome was of the opposite (and strong) opinion.

If PR-B ever leaves then I’d be interested to see the job spec for new applicants!

But never mind, his heart in the right place etc.