It can't be very often...

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

It can't be very often...

Post by Kernow Yellow »

...that an ex-Oxford player scores for Brazil.

Shame about Stevenage going goal crazy tonight. I'm not disheartened with our draw though. As long as Chester don't appeal, we'll still be top on Saturday evening come what may.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

There was a lot of talk leaving the ground about how a draw against Cambridge was a decent result and that drawing away and winning at home would see us champs - made again in the match report. I disagree, we need to win the majority of our games home and away otherwise Stevanage will overtake us. Eastbourne and Cambridge are pretty much in the same position in the league, we went to play for a draw, they clearly didn't, we need to get the mentality back of the second half of last season win win win win.

I thought we were pretty poor last night - especially compared to AFC Wombles last week. Forget the why did Wright replace Foster debate (although what on Earth was he doing for Tonkins sending off, trying to dribble out of defence when he was last man?!?) how about the Day for Beast debate? Day seems to make one huge error a game - last night it resulted in a goal. He also doesn't get distance on headers, leaving us under the cosh compare that to the Beast who gets it clear of the danger area. I'd like to see Wright and Beast given a run of games - I think they'd make a good combo.

Our passing and set piece delivery was awful - Clist especially put every set piece into the goalkeepers hands. I thought picking 3 defensive midfielders was a strange decision and resulted in us not testing their keeper at all. The two strikers played well together especially given the fact they were feeding on scraps in the form of long balls.

A point away to Cambridge is usually a good result, it is testiment to Wilder that the expectations have been raised that we now expect better especially given the form of the other horse in this race.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

You're a bit downbeat of your game assessment imo.

Cambridge will finish far higher than Eastbourne, they gave us quite a bit of trouble in the second half. Not a vintage performance though, particualry from our central midfielders. Once again was impressed by green, why was he subbed??

Tonkin had a nightmare, he appeared to be very nervous.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:There was a lot of talk leaving the ground about how a draw against Cambridge was a decent result and that drawing away and winning at home would see us champs - made again in the match report. I disagree, we need to win the majority of our games home and away otherwise Stevanage will overtake us. Eastbourne and Cambridge are pretty much in the same position in the league, we went to play for a draw, they clearly didn't, we need to get the mentality back of the second half of last season win win win win.

I thought we were pretty poor last night - especially compared to AFC Wombles last week. Forget the why did Wright replace Foster debate (although what on Earth was he doing for Tonkins sending off, trying to dribble out of defence when he was last man?!?) how about the Day for Beast debate? Day seems to make one huge error a game - last night it resulted in a goal. He also doesn't get distance on headers, leaving us under the cosh compare that to the Beast who gets it clear of the danger area. I'd like to see Wright and Beast given a run of games - I think they'd make a good combo.

Our passing and set piece delivery was awful - Clist especially put every set piece into the goalkeepers hands. I thought picking 3 defensive midfielders was a strange decision and resulted in us not testing their keeper at all. The two strikers played well together especially given the fact they were feeding on scraps in the form of long balls.

A point away to Cambridge is usually a good result, it is testiment to Wilder that the expectations have been raised that we now expect better especially given the form of the other horse in this race.
Agree 100% - and I'm normally a fan of Clist.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:You're a bit downbeat of your game assessment imo.
But you say that about everyone's report who doesn't big up our performance.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

In relation to Ty's comment, winning home and drawing away would give us 97 points (feel free to correct my ropey maths!). Surely this would be enough?! Having two teams over 95 points would be truly astonishing!
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
Stop talking rubbish. By the way Wright dropped a massive clanger for the sending off. Feel better?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
Stop talking rubbish. By the way Wright dropped a massive clanger for the sending off. Feel better?
Rubbish is it? Don't think so. You have a reputaiton for such matters.

Why would I ever feel good about an OUFC mistake? Shall I direct you to the playground?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quottheox&quot wrote:In relation to Ty's comment, winning home and drawing away would give us 97 points (feel free to correct my ropey maths!). Surely this would be enough?! Having two teams over 95 points would be truly astonishing!
The problem with that theory is that it assumes we won't lose any games.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quottheox&quot wrote:In relation to Ty's comment, winning home and drawing away would give us 97 points (feel free to correct my ropey maths!). Surely this would be enough?! Having two teams over 95 points would be truly astonishing!
In much the same way that getting relagated from league 2 with 49 points is truly astonishing - we're Oxford stuff like that happens.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

It was a novel experience for me cycling home after an away game. Talking to a few Cambridge fans, they seemed surprised about our &quotlack of quality&quot going forward ... the main, indeed only, tactic seemed to be push the ball into the channel and chase after it. The subsititutions ... hmmm. I thought Chapman was having a decent game and Clist was having a mare ... and why take Green off initially rather than Grant (Midson was being prepared just before Tonkin got sent off, so there was going to be a change up top anyway)? Apropos earlier debates about centrebacks, was that Wright with that goalline clearance late in the game?
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:It was a novel experience for me cycling home after an away game. Talking to a few Cambridge fans, they seemed surprised about our &quotlack of quality&quot going forward ... the main, indeed only, tactic seemed to be push the ball into the channel and chase after it. The subsititutions ... hmmm. I thought Chapman was having a decent game and Clist was having a mare ... and why take Green off initially rather than Grant (Midson was being prepared just before Tonkin got sent off, so there was going to be a change up top anyway)? Apropos earlier debates about centrebacks, was that Wright with that goalline clearance late in the game?
It was, yeah, though he did make a boo boo before the sending off.

We need Murray back, or to play Chapman centrally. Clist, Hargreaves, Bulman does not provide enough creativity.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:
In much the same way that getting relagated from league 2 with 49 points is truly astonishing - we're Oxford stuff like that happens.
Sad but true..........
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Listening on the radio Jerome and Nick were scathing about our set piece delivery, so it must have been bad.

They also alluded that it was an error by Wright that resulted in Tonkin being sent off.

Jerome also sounded unsurprised that both Hargreaves and Bulman blasted shots over the crossbar.

Sounded like Clarke was back on his game and we could have nearly snatched it at the end.

What is the story with Fowler?
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Fowler.

Hargreaves has moved in front of him and apparently he's packing a bit of lumber. Not that I think there's anything wrong with that.