Sweet and Sour. Highs and Lows.

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Sweet and Sour. Highs and Lows.

Post by recordmeister »

Sam Deering. 10/10 for yesterday.

Damien Batt. 5/10 for yesterday. What has happened to him? It was as if he had money on us losing. That throw in which went to nowhere, and then was picked up by a Histon player. He really, really needs to up his game.

But what a joy it was to watch LSD.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Deering was excellent (if only he could have kept his stupid Facebook mouth shut we could still be his sponsors).

Batt was very poor in the first half, but I thought he improved greatly in the second half - maybe Wilder or Melville had a word at half-time.

Also praise for Clist, who was quietly excellent, while Bulman again put himself around (if only he could learn to shoot).

And as for Tonkin - I can't remember seeing such a good left-back display since Jimmy Phillips. Superb.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Batt has been very poor recently - but I thought his touch was coming back in the second half. He was getting forward again &amp hit a decent free kick against the post. All about confidence perhaps.

As for the throw in - terrible, but any worse than Day's back pass &amp Danny Bulman's shooting? (And didn't Batt quickly make up for his error - or perhaps I am thinking about another incident)

Any sloppiness against R&ampD will be punished. (By the Diamonds &amp probably CW too)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Obviously posted mine as Boris was posting his. No colusion.
Agree about Tonkin by the way.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Of course, if RO were still sponsoring LSD, he would be playing for Brackley or Witney Town by now ...

Word for Midson, who did loads of good hold-up and linking work, played some great passes and looks miles and miles better playing down the middle.

Sweet and sour for Hargreaves ... he needs his eyes testing, the number of times he jumped for headers and had the ball go over his head ... but can't he still read a game well? His ability just to be in space to receive and give a ball, block a run or cover the defence is tremendous, and it's bloody useful having a loud voice organising and encouraging.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

clist was more on form again yesterday - i wonder how much this is due to the fact that hargreaves is doing some of the water-carrying?

deering and midson were both excellent - full of admiration for midson for squaring that ball for green. tonkin also had a very good game.

batt was better this game i thought, but admittedly still not up to the impressive standard he has set.

clarke suddenly seems to be punching balls - not sure why when he seemed to claim far more before?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Blimey - I now seem to be agreeing with almost everything everyone is posting on here. (Except Mr Meister re Batty)
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

&quotfarking hell we are farking rubbish. farking hell histon are rubbish. farking hell batt is rubbish. farking hell. farking hell batt. who's playing up front? farking hell.&quot

somewhere around X66
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:&quotfarking hell we are farking rubbish. farking hell histon are rubbish. farking hell batt is rubbish. farking hell. farking hell batt. who's playing up front? farking hell.&quot

somewhere around X66
One of the most embarrassing individuals I've heard at footy in twenty plus years. The idiot was laying into Batt less than ten minutes into the game. The question about who was playing up front came after 30 minutes. :oops:
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:&quotfarking hell we are farking rubbish. farking hell histon are rubbish. farking hell batt is rubbish. farking hell. farking hell batt. who's playing up front? farking hell.&quot

somewhere around X66
One of the most embarrassing individuals I've heard at footy in twenty plus years. The idiot was laying into Batt less than ten minutes into the game. The question about who was playing up front came after 30 minutes. :oops:
I hope plenty of fans laid into this farking idiot. Verabally that is.

Where was the farking idiot sit / stood?
Last edited by Baboo on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Batt struggled in the first 20 minutes but after that was much nearer his good form. He played some excellent long range crossfield passes, his movement down the line wasmuch better timed and his crossing improved. The litle one twos were back and boy can he hit the ball well.

Deering was indeed excellent, as was Jack Midson.

Tonkin also very good and the formation used by Wilder was a big improvement.

Potter was also superb.

Still disappointed with Wright, and Day is nowhere near the player that Creighton is. The back pass by Day was direct from a horror comic.

I still think our best centre back pairing is Creighton and Day.

Clist had a few dodgy moments messing about with close control trickery in silly areas, losing the ball and causing unnecessary risks.

Generally I thought we were really pretty good though.

We could easily have scored 6 or more and we created numerous chances.

My only slight concern was once again the end product. We must be more clinical in front of goal. There's no point trying to hit a 20 yard shot through a defence made up of 10 men all packed behind the ball.

I tink we are going to begin facing a lot more packed defences in the next 2 months as teams struggle to deal with our excellent passing play, so some training sessions in off the ball movement and threading the ball through tight spaces would be sensible.

Went away feeling very chipper though.

Research and Development on Tuesday will be a different saucepan of kippers though.
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Batt struggled in the first 20 minutes but after that was much nearer his good form. He played some excellent long range crossfield passes, his movement down the line wasmuch better timed and his crossing improved. The litle one twos were back and boy can he hit the ball well.

Deering was indeed excellent, as was Jack Midson.

Tonkin also very good and the formation used by Wilder was a big improvement.

Potter was also superb.

Still disappointed with Wright, and Day is nowhere near the player that Creighton is. The back pass by Day was direct from a horror comic.

I still think our best centre back pairing is Creighton and Day.

Clist had a few dodgy moments messing about with close control trickery in silly areas, losing the ball and causing unnecessary risks.

Generally I thought we were really pretty good though.

We could easily have scored 6 or more and we created numerous chances.

My only slight concern was once again the end product. We must be more clinical in front of goal. There's no point trying to hit a 20 yard shot through a defence made up of 10 men all packed behind the ball.

I tink we are going to begin facing a lot more packed defences in the next 2 months as teams struggle to deal with our excellent passing play, so some training sessions in off the ball movement and threading the ball through tight spaces would be sensible.

Went away feeling very chipper though.

Research and Development on Tuesday will be a different saucepan of kippers though.
I cannot understand this. Wright is far too good for this level and, having watched him very carefully on Saturday, his reading of the game is superb. He's got an brilliant touch, his positioning is excellent and he's much quicker than Day and the Beast.

Watch him on Tues, you'll see what I mean.
Last edited by deanwindass on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I too thought think that Wright looks a very good footballing centre back. Day made one bad mistake, but generally I think that the current centre back partnership is the best that we have had this season.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:I too thought think that Wright looks a very good footballing centre back. Day made one bad mistake, but generally I think that the current centre back partnership is the best that we have had this season.
I think they are starting to look a very good partnership but the questioning of their ability is understandable given that most fans were very happy with the Beast / Fozzie combination.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:I too thought think that Wright looks a very good footballing centre back. Day made one bad mistake, but generally I think that the current centre back partnership is the best that we have had this season.
Indeed - some fans near to me have said 'I haven't noticed Wright doing very much' - sign of a good centre back.

I always noticed what Phil Whelan was doing! QED.

Number of goals conceded says it all.