Sweet and Sour. Highs and Lows.

Anything yellow and blue
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Well, in what was generally a fairly disappointing team performance this evening, I thought Wright was outstanding and easily my OUFC MOM.
I'm with you here Boris...did I mention that I think he's a very good player? :wink:
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

Wright was man of the match. No further questions m'lud.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Well, in what was generally a fairly disappointing team performance this evening, I thought Wright was outstanding and easily my OUFC MOM.
Both Wright and Tonkin were excellent in my view. Both are improving every game and our defernce now looks more balanced.

With the exception of Grays away we are not scoring many so at present the defence is critical.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Tonkin was very good, Wright didn't make any mistakes as far as i could tell, Day - another hideous back pass, but apart from that good, Clarke back to decent form, Batt - atrocious (now suspended which might not be a bad thing) All of this makes up a defence that kept another clean sheet &amp this time it was against a form side.

Man of the match for me - Chapman. He was able to do what Beano couldn't and the pressure after another delay that took gamesmanship to the extreme must have been immense.

But overall it was a pretty poor performance. Too many players off form - Bulman &amp Beano join Batt in this category.
Bulman (now injured), Hargreaves, Clist - too defensive a combination? How much are we missing Murray?
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

With the exception of Tonkin, I thought the defence looked quite shakey (hesitant maybe, nervous? can't really think of the word i'm after) in general. Both Day and Wright had a couple of rash moments and Batt seems to have gone completely off the boil. Clarke too seemed intent of making things difficult for himself.

However, another clean sheet so, for once, we are actually getting away with making little mistakes instead of being massively punished which is the usual result.

I can't see why Rushden were 4th. They defended stoutly but they've got very little in terms of creativity and their attacking threat all but disappeared when Louis went off.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quottheox&quot wrote:I can't see why Rushden were 4th. They defended stoutly but they've got very little in terms of creativity and their attacking threat all but disappeared when Louis went off.
I can. If I were a Rushden fan, I'd have been disappointed not to go in 2-0 up at half-time. Some very poor finishing let us off the hook. Tomlin's one-on-one with Clarke was a particular shocker.

Interesting to see us line up with a 4-4-2 though. Sadly, Clist is no left winger and Deering did a lot of running, but too often into dead ends - no idea how the sponsors picked him as MoM.

As mentioned by Baboo, Batt's suspension may be a good thing for him. He has gone seriously off track and gave the ball away far too easily yesterday. On the subject of suspensions, Beano clearly hasn't learnt to keep his gob shut and was lucky not to pick up yellow eleven.

Still, 3 points against the division's form team when we probably only deserved the one. Fairly tough game to come next Tuesday and then, potentially, a fortnight off. EDIT: Ignore that last bit - I didn't have the Cambridge away game written in my diary :oops:
Last edited by Myles Francis on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quottheox&quot wrote:I can't see why Rushden were 4th. They defended stoutly but they've got very little in terms of creativity and their attacking threat all but disappeared when Louis went off.
I can. If I were a Rushden fan, I'd have been disappointed not to go in 2-0 up at half-time. Some very poor finishing let us off the hook. Tomlin's one-on-one with Clarke was a particular shocker.
Agreed. I couldn't believe how lucky we were to have not conceded by half time. For the first time in ages I felt we had the rub of the green for a change. It's been a long time coming.

Chapman has nerves of steel. To have kept his head together during all their deliberate time wasting antics, credit to him. Did their goalie get booked (didn't see a yellow card)? He should have been.

We were lucky to get the win last night, but I'm not complaining. At this stage of the season, I'll take victories however they come.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Batt was always flawed, it's just that your blinkers have come off!! :wink:
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:
&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
Agreed. I couldn't believe how lucky we were to have not conceded by half time. For the first time in ages I felt we had the rub of the green for a change. It's been a long time coming.

Chapman has nerves of steel. To have kept his head together during all their deliberate time wasting antics, credit to him. Did their goalie get booked (didn't see a yellow card)? He should have been.

We were lucky to get the win last night, but I'm not complaining. At this stage of the season, I'll take victories however they come.
But their chances only came from our errors. We created our own problems as opposed to being 'unlocked' by Rushden.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quottheox&quot wrote:But their chances only came from our errors. We created our own problems as opposed to being 'unlocked' by Rushden.
Well, it could be argued that they pressured us into making those errors. Regardless, when a team has four really good goal-scoring opportunities in a half, they can't be written off so easily.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Okay, time to fire a few views off following my first visit in ten weeks.

My tolerance of those fans who can only see good in certain players and bad in others is declining. Is it getting worse or am I just less tolerant?

The defence was tentative in its defending all night. They appear nervous and fraught whenever attacked, especially at pace.

Deering runs his legs off but wastes far too many simple passes.

Constable is a disgrace when it comes to his gob. He should be fined a weeks wages for his behaviour last night (and every other game).

Why won't Midson shoot?

We lack an enforcer (Creits), someone who has a physical presence.

Hargreaves is crap. He touches the ball so little and has no vision when he has the ball. I don't think a midfield of Bulman, Hargreaves and Clist is balanced enough.

We need width.

The second penalty looked the softest I can remember.

Green improved things when he came on.

How many saves did their keeper make? I can't remember them!

Tonkin is good coming forward.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

Examination in Stones and Glass Houses 101

Question 1:
&quotDLT&quot wrote: My tolerance of those fans who can only see good in certain players and bad in others is declining.

Hargreaves is crap. He touches the ball so little and has no vision when he has the ball.
Critically evaluate these two sentences.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

AC - very amusing response !

DLT - I wouldn't disagree with your observations but in a game where too many simple passes went astray, I would at least give Hargreaves credit for trying to get the ball back.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote: Constable is a disgrace when it comes to his gob. He should be fined a weeks wages for his behaviour last night (and every other game).
Perhaps that is why he is captain - their gobbing off is more tolerated than that of the rest of the troops I believe. Anyway neither his feet nor his head did much talking last night. This next goal being his 20th seems to be a millstone around his neck. Someone needs to tell him that the Chester game has already been scrubbed from the records.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote: We lack an enforcer (Creits), someone who has a physical presence.
When Criets came up against Louis earlier in the season our ex -striker bullied him.