So, will we make the play offs?

Anything yellow and blue
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: This massive streak of OUFC supporter fatalism could really do for us.
Err no. Matches are won on the grass, not in the stands. If the players have the mettle that you attribute them with, and for the record I think we will win this league comfortably, then whatever panic may be in the supporters minds, will not translate to the on pitch performances.
Crowd anxiety affects playing performance.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: This massive streak of OUFC supporter fatalism could really do for us.
Err no. Matches are won on the grass, not in the stands. If the players have the mettle that you attribute them with, and for the record I think we will win this league comfortably, then whatever panic may be in the supporters minds, will not translate to the on pitch performances.
Then de facto, the players aren't as good as you like to make out.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

Playing performance affects pretty much everything that a crowd feels including how brilliant they feel or alternatively how p****d off they feel and even so far as whether they are going bother to turn up or not on Saturday.

Edit: Not me of course because the alternative is far worse.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

We've definitely blown it, we'll finish third and lose at Wembley to Old Boys Utd, we should have kept Yemi and Foster, Wilder has lost it.

Not sure if I'm joking or not.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

This is the first time I've felt able to even think about Tuesday night's ending let alone comment on it.

What really happened? We lost by the narowest margin a one off high pressure away game. It could have gone either way and was more like a local derby cup game than a regular conference game. The result itself means nothing in the bigger scheme of things.

What matters most from now on is Wilder keeping his nerve and him making sure the team does too. A win on Saturday is of course vital to get things back on track but that shouldn't be a problem - should it?
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

We were just as rubbish (that is to say not copmpletely rubbish but not that great either) at Luton than we were at Mansfield a few months ago.

Could everyone please stop fretting. You're all like my mum.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Apart from Arsenal, for one season only, every English football team has lost matches in every season.

Why should we be any different?

Luton are in reasonable form. It was an away game. We don't have an automatic right to win football matches.

We lost. So what?

We will still win the vast majority of our games for the rest of the season.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Apart from Arsenal, for one season only, every English football team has lost matches in every season.

Luton are in reasonable form. It was an away game. We don't have an automatic right to win football matches.

We lost. So what?

Oh, stop being so positive! It is sickening!! :twisted:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quottheox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Apart from Arsenal, for one season only, every English football team has lost matches in every season.

We lost. So what?

Oh, stop being so positive! It is sickening!! :twisted:
I know, I think I've caught a virus from AscOx... :lol:
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I was surprised by the rageonline report too. We haven't thrown the league away anymore than we had it in the bag a couple of months back. 18 games to go, there's plenty of time for more fluctuations in form. It's a fairly level playing field for the top 3 at the moment, so the best team over those 18 games will win the league. Our form over the first half of the season means we can slip up a bit and still be in the race.

The anxiety levels at the home games might have a big influence, as I said after saturday, I felt the nervousness in the stands grew as the game wore on. We need to score early on saturday or there'll be grumbling and misery around the ground by 30 minutes. And outright wailing by half time.
You only have to read a few threads on here and you can sense the fatalism of &quotthrowing it away again&quot, when in fact we never had it to throw away. I notice chelsea lost 2-1 away yesterday, I'll be interested (although not enough to actually look) to see if their message boards are as morose as this one (and I dread to think what TiU is like).

I was encouraged by Wilders comments, they might not have been entirely accurate (or necessarily what he actually thought) but if he'd come out and said we've bottled it, the players lost their fight then he'd be rightly crucified.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

I'm feeling a lot better about things after Tuesday. But, I still justify my thinking after the game. Histon is important to shake the mood.

Luton felt very different from other games we've lost. It felt like Exeter &amp Leyton Orient again. The feelings of loss and shock post those games are very different from the mega-goal spankings we suffered to Brum and Sunderland at the tail end of last century and again different to the footballing lesson Burton dished out at home a couple of seasons ago. Being outplayed is fine. Collapsing hurts.

This Oxford team would not collapse, it was different. Wilder had built and molded a squad of winners and grafters. This loss should not have been.

Rightly we believed and perhaps still do, but boy did we hurt on Tuesday night.

Dissecting the Luton game: I thought for 90 mins we were immense. But...Chappers was outpaced and commited a foul. Should not have but did. They scored. We then went into panic stations. The goal from a corner. disaster.

Wilder's managerial skill will now come to fore. His team needs to show a killer instinct. We were wronged. Get revenge. Fight.

We all hate this bloody league. We were probably quite wrongly overconfident. I'd started to look at the papers checking out the teams in League one that were in the relegation spots. Wycombe next season was on.

I'm gutted I miss the next 2 league matches. Sod the FA trophy. Six points in the bag for Weds please. Someone sing a little louder for me while I'm away :-)
leicesteryellow
Toddler

Post by leicesteryellow »

lets not forget lost to a freak goal in the sixth minute of injury time. If that did not happen, it would have been a good result.

Yes it definately hurt. But at least in this game I could see a team that could win the league. I didnt see that against kiddy. Hopefully a loss like that will motivate the team more.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

Playing performance affects crowd anxiety.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotleicesteryellow&quot wrote:But at least in this game I could see a team that could win the league. I didnt see that against kiddy.
I have to disagree there. On Tuesday I saw a team that couldn't get hold of the ball for long periods, and on the odd occasion that they did, they generally hoofed it up in the air to no-one in particular. Much of the game was incredibly scrappy - I remember a period of what seemed like hours when the ball was never more than 5 yards from the left touchline (as we looked) and barely touched the ground. True, I felt better about things (for 95 minutes) than I had on Saturday, but only because the result we looked like we were going to get would have been a better one.

Having said that, IF we win our next two games, that will be 10 points from 5 games (and 20 points from 10 games). Which will leave us bang on track. But that's a big IF - we need to rediscover the art of winning against teams that aren't incredibly shit.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: Err no. Matches are won on the grass, not in the stands. If the players have the mettle that you attribute them with, and for the record I think we will win this league comfortably, then whatever panic may be in the supporters minds, will not translate to the on pitch performances.
Playing performance affects crowd anxiety.

I guess both statements are true. But the nervy crowd atmosphere v Kidderminster simply did not help. And we had that atmosphere from the start of the game!

Just after 3 straight wins as well.