Leavers

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Leavers

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Carruthers and Kelly have both now left, no surprises there.

Rather more of a surprise is that Foster has also been told he can leave if he finds another club in the transfer window. Bizarre decision in my view.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

It doesn't say that he can leave if he finds another club.......... He has permission to talk to other clubs.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

My reading of the bit on the club website was that someone else made an enquiry, Foster and CW had a chat, following which it was decided Foster could meet with that club about a possible move. This assumes that sequence is actually correct or plausible - I assume a player does not have to have been placed on some (actual or metaphorical) transfer list before possible moves can be discussed? Only that a club cannot approach a player without the permission of that player's club?

Certainly, given his regular place in the starting line-up, I would be puzzled and, indeed, worried, were it not that I think Day is very good (a view based, admittedly, on very little playing time) and the arrival of Wright. Do people thing the loss of Perry and possibly of Foster, with the arrival only of Wright in the centre of defence, leave us a bit thin?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re: Leavers

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Bizarre decision in my view.
It's entirely consistent with a view that Wilder has (in common with most managers at this level) which goes &quotwasn't one of my players, can't be any good, is one of my signings must be good&quot. To some extent his record suggests some of those decisions were correct, but some seem more arbitrary.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

I think the late goal given away at Salisbury might be something to do with it.

Shame I cannot find any highlights as I thought at the time it was just a bloody good cross, difficult to defend and Sandwith should have closed the winger down before the cross.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Very very odd this one and must be more to it than meets the eye.

Fozzie has been a regular since Wilder arrived and has been our one of our best players - hence the player of the season award.

He's been at Oxford a while, has settled in the area and has (I believe) a girlfriend from the area. For him to want to move (as has been reported) would suggest a falling out with the manager, or another club has offered to pay him a lot more money, or we won't offer him a new contract for next season.

Either way breaking up the best centre back pairing in the division is in my view a poor decision - I think Fozzie can play at a level above this and I don't see the logic in letting him go at this stage - wait until the end of the season once we have hopefully got promoted.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Foster wants to secure his future and Wilder's not ready for that discussion yet. Foster is not in the best position to force the issue right now post Salisbury and Wright signing. I think he'll stay and so does Wilder, I hope.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

This is from what seems to be Fozzies Dad on TiU - sounds like the club have told him to find a new club. Very very strange.

let me just make one thing clear here, he does keep me in the picture.
We didn't want the news to break from here that he has effectively been released.
The club have released it so you all know.

There has been no bust up at all though and it would be easy for me to say there had, just an overwhelming feeling of regret really as it was a shock.
Long John Silver
Brat

Post by Long John Silver »

Also posted by his dad on TiU,

[quote]“How many times, no bust up!! Luke knew nothing about an offer and had not been to see about a new contact until yesterday and he was told he was free to talk to other clubs.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:I think the late goal given away at Salisbury might be something to do with it.

Shame I cannot find any highlights as I thought at the time it was just a bloody good cross, difficult to defend and Sandwith should have closed the winger down before the cross.
It was cook who was marking the guy who took the throw in and put the ball in. Sandwith was marking the guy who received the throw-in and knocked it back to said crosser-of-the-ball. It was cook who stood off and let him make the cross, which was very, very lazy.

---------------

Foster did live in Witney with his girlfriend, who has just given birth (or is about to give birth ) to a baby. But I believe they moved to Northampton about a year ago.

---------------

Anyone who posts on TiU should be shot. As one fan said to me on the terrace at Sails. &quotThe best thing the club could do is negotiate with Newsquest to have TiU closed down...&quot with which I agree. The fact Forster's Dad is on their, makes a statement and then the speculation continues despite repeated statements from Fozzy Snr shows how thick the people on there really are!

---------------

My tuppence worth on the Fozzy situation is that, whatever happens, the club needs to make a *proper* statement so we all know why one of our best players has been told he can look elsewhere to play his football. I noticed in the last game that Creighton and Clarke are both very quiet and all the talking was done by Fozzy, vice-club capt. for the first half of the season. I think losing him would be a blow (doesn't the defensive record stand up for itself this season?) and if Day is better, why hasn't he been playing? Surely if the order is Forster then Day and you bring in Wright, the order of choice then doesn't change to Wright, Day, Foster. Why not let Day go (unless it's a money issue) and have Foster in reserve, if Wright is to be a shoe-in in the starting XI?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotneilw&quot wrote:It doesn't say that he can leave if he finds another club.......... He has permission to talk to other clubs.
If he can talk to other clubs about a move, the club are saying he can leave. There may be fees to be discussed but that is semantics. The upshot is that he has been told he can go.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Very very odd this one and must be more to it than meets the eye.

Fozzie has been a regular since Wilder arrived and has been our one of our best players - hence the player of the season award.

He's been at Oxford a while, has settled in the area and has (I believe) a girlfriend from the area. For him to want to move (as has been reported) would suggest a falling out with the manager, or another club has offered to pay him a lot more money, or we won't offer him a new contract for next season.

Either way breaking up the best centre back pairing in the division is in my view a poor decision - I think Fozzie can play at a level above this and I don't see the logic in letting him go at this stage - wait until the end of the season once we have hopefully got promoted.
I tend to agree Ty. This seems very odd indeed.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

I love Fozzie to bits, and agree about his pairing with The Beast.

But let me play Devil's Advocate - Chris Wilder left Fozzie out at the beginning of the season and he only got back in the side when Day was injured. Furthermore, Fozzie has more than once been outpaced or turned when one on one - Barrow in the Cup, for example - and his disciplinary record is not that good.

I just wonder whether these factors, coupled with the central defensive cover we now have, have contributed to Chris Wilder thinking he could take the risk ?

But it is a bit of a surprise.....
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I just think it's the old thing of 'I want my own players' - poss not helped by his disciplinary record, which may be reflected by his off-the-field manner, I guess. He seems a great player to me.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Fozzie's Dad is also saying that the club don't want a fee for him, so he is effectively just released unless he wants to sit on the sidelines for the rest of the season.

This is really odd. Foster is one of the best players in the side.