Players

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Players

Post by Mooro »

So what do we know about the squad next season?

Roget, Brooks, Robinson, Ashton, E'Bayer, Clarke and Gray released

Tardif, Turley &amp Quinn in talks about new deals

Smith &amp N'Toya also in talks

Winters offered 3month contract

Mansell, Willmott, Yemi, Sills, Basham, Hargreaves, Dempster, burgess and Sabin retained under current contracts

Anyone I've missed???
SuperOx

Post by SuperOx »

I'm gutted for Jamie Brooks. I would have perservered with him on a month by month deal for next season.

To think we will possibly retain Quinn,Hargreaves and Mansell is a frightening
prospect too scary for words.

I'm not sure I would bother with N'Toya either. He's a loose cannon for me.

JS will find it hard attracting players to a Conference National club.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I actually think Jamie has had his time.

I wonder if you asked him what he thought of Kassam as chairman his response would be?

I am trying hard not to get sucked in to the expectation of new signings. Weknow all the players are going to hang on and play clubs off against each other.

As Super Ox indicates I don't think we should get our hopes too high. 7 or 8 players I have never heard of will do for me. You know like Wolleaston, Horsted, Parker, those sort.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Not sure how this will be received by the fanbase in general, but had confirmation last night that the club have offered three scholars full pro contracts for next season:

Lively forward Billy Beechers most people will know (a little) about, but the other two are: Andrew Gunn, a defender who was presented with the Smiths of Bletchingdon Centre of Excellence Player of the Year (snappy eh?) award at the Orient game and Josh Kennett, a midfielder who featured during pre-season last summer and has continued to progress through the year....

Whether any will feature right from the start I dont know, but if they continue to progress as they have, then they should be in contention at some stage during the season.

In addition, Tom Winters has been given a further 3 month deal to prove his ability, fitness and attitude.

I understand that the other graduating scholars, including Jamies brother Ryan have all been released, while three new scholars have been added, keeper Sam Worrell, Aaron Posey and James Clark.

As an aside, it may also be worth noting that relegation is likely to affect the level of grant funding we receive for YD next season so be warned that there may be further Us yOUth fundraising efforts coming soon.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Not sure how this will be received by the fanbase in general, but had confirmation last night that the club have offered three scholars full pro contracts for next season:

Lively forward Billy Beechers most people will know (a little) about, but the other two are: Andrew Gunn, a defender who was presented with the Smiths of Bletchingdon Centre of Excellence Player of the Year (snappy eh?) award at the Orient game and Josh Kennett, a midfielder who featured during pre-season last summer and has continued to progress through the year....

Whether any will feature right from the start I dont know, but if they continue to progress as they have, then they should be in contention at some stage during the season.

In addition, Tom Winters has been given a further 3 month deal to prove his ability, fitness and attitude.

I understand that the other graduating scholars, including Jamies brother Ryan have all been released, while three new scholars have been added, keeper Sam Worrell, Aaron Posey and James Clark.

As an aside, it may also be worth noting that relegation is likely to affect the level of grant funding we receive for YD next season so be warned that there may be further Us yOUth fundraising efforts coming soon.
I suppose the question is what type of pro-contract?

Do you know if these are long term deals, month to month, or whatever?

Personally, I think the club are right to invest in the youth players, provided they are not put on long term deals. If we don't bring them on and give them the opportunity, expecially in the Conference, how will we ever know if they will be good enough and what would be the point of a youth set up?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

All three have been offered 12 months.

Scholarships are now back to being 2 years, rather than 3, BTW.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I've often been impressed with Billy Beechers, and seen Kennett put in a good couple of performances for the reserves too. Don't know too much about Gunn, but I reckon this is a positive sign that the club is taking youth development seriously.
Paul Cooper

Post by Paul Cooper »

Surely we can't have Quinn, Mansell and Hargreaves in the same side?

Rumours that Cheltenham were after Mansell. I guess that they will see what league they are in.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

hope tom winters gets the chance to show us what he can do then, and won't end up being another that slipped through the net.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:hope tom winters gets the chance to show us what he can do then, and won't end up being another that slipped through the net.
It is up to him whether he does or not isn't it? 3 months is enough to show you have got the right attitude, his wages will not be great so let's see..

I see that Sills has been given permission to talk to other clubs, with Exeter seemingly favourites. While that is an interesting decision in itself, given that we never played to his strengths when he was selected, it also appears that he was among our highest paid players - now how did that happen?

Presuming he goes our current squad is now:
GK - none (offers to Tardif and Turley?)
DEF - Willmott, Dempster, Mansell, Gunn, (Weedon)
CM - Hargreaves, Mansell, Kennett (offer to Quinn?)
WM - Burgess, Mansell, Winters
FW - Basham, Yemi, Beechers

Interesting!!
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotMatt D&quot wrote:hope tom winters gets the chance to show us what he can do then, and won't end up being another that slipped through the net.
It is up to him whether he does or not isn't it? 3 months is enough to show you have got the right attitude, his wages will not be great so let's see..

I see that Sills has been given permission to talk to other clubs, with Exeter seemingly favourites. While that is an interesting decision in itself, given that we never played to his strengths when he was selected, it also appears that he was among our highest paid players - now how did that happen?

Presuming he goes our current squad is now:
GK - none (offers to Tardif and Turley?)
DEF - Willmott, Dempster, Mansell, Gunn, (Weedon)
CM - Hargreaves, Mansell, Kennett (offer to Quinn?)
WM - Burgess, Mansell, Winters
FW - Basham, Yemi, Beechers

Interesting!!
I don't think Mansell is good enough to play in one position let alone all three at a time!!
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I won't be too disappointed to see Sills go as he failed to do anything to impress whilst he was with us. Having said that what's the betting he goes to Exeter and not only scores against us but also gets 25 goals for the season leading Exeter to automatic promotion.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Isn't it about time we started signing a few players - or is it too soon to panic that we'll only be left with the crap?

Sills didn't impress me but surely he would be worth hanging on to to see how he fairs at the level from whenst he came, and where he was the best striker around. And if we are trying to get rid of him cos he's on too much money - those alarm bells are ringing rather more loudly now. After all he was signed when old skinflint was in charge and now we have a new more enlightened regime. (Inserted a few allegedly's where you see fit)
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i hope sills gets a chance to show what he can do at conference level, and hopefully with a few crosses coming into the box.

after all, a lot of people are saying we need players proven at this level who know their way round this league. sills is it, even if he may not have been able to cut it the league above.

if releasing him is about money, the alarm bells are just on standby for me i think - if jim smith thinks he can bring in a greater number of equal quality players for that money as sills was a panic signing that money was thrown at, fair enough.