Richard of York gave battle in vain.

Anything yellow and blue
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

I like both Clarke and Turley and think we are lucky to have two very good keepers, the hard thing for Wilder will be keeping both happy I fear.

One thing that irked me on Saturday about Clarke though was the way he kept punting the ball down the middle, against two big centre backs who continually won it, instead of rolling the ball out to fullbacks to run with and bring wide players into the game early, something that Billy does very well. I hope our GK coach spotted this too!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I thought Clarke's kicking was very good. Elvis kicks into touch at least twice every game.

If Clarke had thrown the ball out to Chapman - he would have punted it 30 odd yards like he did all first half. If Sandwith had been thrown the ball - what would he have done with it given that Kelly never got forward? Punted it to Beano probably!
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Roo »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I thought Clarke's kicking was very good. Elvis kicks into touch at least twice every game.

If Clarke had thrown the ball out to Chapman - he would have punted it 30 odd yards like he did all first half. If Sandwith had been thrown the ball - what would he have done with it given that Kelly never got forward? Punted it to Beano probably!
I meant that I would like to see our fullbacks/wide players get the ball to there feet and run with it in the way that Yemmi used to....but with some final product.

What you suggest MAY have happened......we didn't get the opportunity to find out though did we?!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kelly, Sandwith, Chapman and Murray all playing wide just
simply lack pace to make those forays imho.

We had zero pace on Saturday until Green and Rhodes were introduced.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:Whilst there is an obvious reason for people selecting their first eleven plus five subs, one thing that was clear from the conversations I had in The Priory before the match was a widely held belief in and optimism about the depth of quality we have throughout the squad - indeed, relative to the level we find ourselves playing at, this is possibly the best squad we have had, in those terms, for many years.

Meanwhile CW has said that with games coming thick and fast (in this opening period of the season and, to be sure, at various points later on), a certain amount of rotation will be needed (let alone once injuries and bans start to, ahem, kick in).

I think the discussion here, about player X, Y or Z that someone has left out of, or included in, their 16, is a reassuring sign of that depth of the squad this year beyond just those 16 names.
Couldn't agree more.
I rate the vast majority of players in this squad and am perhaps more of a fan of Clist than most other fans. I think he is a very clever footballer. Not big, but not afraid to put his foot in and with pretty good ball control. Also confident, even in the left back position where I don't think he looked out of place.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:Whilst there is an obvious reason for people selecting their first eleven plus five subs, one thing that was clear from the conversations I had in The Priory before the match was a widely held belief in and optimism about the depth of quality we have throughout the squad - indeed, relative to the level we find ourselves playing at, this is possibly the best squad we have had, in those terms, for many years.

Meanwhile CW has said that with games coming thick and fast (in this opening period of the season and, to be sure, at various points later on), a certain amount of rotation will be needed (let alone once injuries and bans start to, ahem, kick in).

I think the discussion here, about player X, Y or Z that someone has left out of, or included in, their 16, is a reassuring sign of that depth of the squad this year beyond just those 16 names.
Couldn't agree more.
I rate the vast majority of players in this squad and am perhaps more of a fan of Clist than most other fans. I think he is a very clever footballer. Not big, but not afraid to put his foot in and with pretty good ball control. Also confident, even in the left back position where I don't think he looked out of place.
I thought Clist did a fantastic job on Sat at left back. That can't be an easy roll to fill and he seemed to do it very well.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:If we can get 4 points from our next couple of fixtures I'll be absolutely delighted.
Well, I'm absolutely delighted. I think. Would anyone who has been to either of our last two games care to comment on them at all? Much appreciated.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:If we can get 4 points from our next couple of fixtures I'll be absolutely delighted.
Well, I'm absolutely delighted. I think. Would anyone who has been to either of our last two games care to comment on them at all? Much appreciated.
Clist definately MOM for me today and Matt Green and Bulman not far behind. Not too impressed with Sandwith or CC and Fozzie needs a rocket in which ever aperture is appropriate.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re:

Post by amershamwrighty »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
Clist definately MOM for me today and Matt Green and Bulman not far behind. Not too impressed with Sandwith or CC and Fozzie needs a rocket in which ever aperture is appropriate.
What is the point of Kevin Sandwith ?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: Well, I'm absolutely delighted. I think. Would anyone who has been to either of our last two games care to comment on them at all? Much appreciated.
Today it was to curb the aerial threat of Histon which to his credit (and I am no fan of his) he did well. Methinks Carruthers was the problem today, and going forward some of his 'crossing' was not great. Taxi for Carruthers!!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

Methinks Carruthers was the problem today, and going forward some of his 'crossing' was not great. Taxi for Carruthers!![/quote]

Disagree. Thought he had a decent game. Thought some of his crossing was very good &amp he was not frightened to have the ball.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:[Fozzie needs a rocket in which ever aperture is appropriate.
Again disagree. He seems to be rather slower than last season but takes a real buffeting and stands up to it pretty well the way I see it. Against Kettering he won loads of high ball when they were providing a second half onslaught. Bear in mind that he has a new partner to get used too. Oh, and he set up Matt Green for his goal against York with an incisive pass. I'd leave that rocket in the box for a more appropriate time.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: Well, I'm absolutely delighted. I think. Would anyone who has been to either of our last two games care to comment on them at all? Much appreciated.
Scoring a goal at Kettering is a start.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re:

Post by amershamwrighty »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote: Clist definately MOM for me today and Matt Green and Bulman not far behind. Not too impressed with Sandwith or CC and Fozzie needs a rocket in which ever aperture is appropriate.
Scoring a goal at Kettering is a start.
OK - I don't want to grizzle or appear controversial, so let us hope that he makes a bit more of a positive impact fairly soon.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I also don’t want to appear controversial, but I’ve never seen any team play the back four line so up the field as in that first half against York.

No worries if you’ve got Usain Bolt, Tyson Gay and Dwain Chambers included amongst our defenders, but I don’t think there is room for a donkey in there if we’re going to restrict the number of goals we concede playing to that system this season.