theox
Middle-Aged Spread

The Ashes - warning: contains Silly Point

Post by theox »

Looks like we (the English) are having a cracking first session. :roll:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

A great first day, but it’s going to rain at the weekend, apparently.

And how much better it could have been but for those last two late wickets.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Pietersen - wtf ? Should have made a big 100 but.....

Just listened to Geoffrey Boycott and Jonathan Agnew crucify KP on BBC Radio 5LIVE

Matt Prior looks a talented batsman !
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Pietersen - wtf ? Should have made a big 100 but.....

Just listened to Geoffrey Boycott and Jonathan Agnew crucify KP on BBC Radio 5LIVE

I think Boycs is right, KP needs to understand that he has a responsibility to the team, which means playing less risky shots until the score is comfortable.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

A good day. I have the Aussis slightly ahead due to the last couple of wickets.

The first hour tomorrow could be critical.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

I think Boycs is right, KP needs to understand that he has a responsibility to the team, which means playing less risky shots until the score is comfortable.
He still top-scored though! Plus, he wouldn't be the exciting player he is if you took the risk element out of his game. However, he does still have to learn that there is a time and place...........
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quottheox&quot wrote:

He still top-scored though! Plus, he wouldn't be the exciting player he is if you took the risk element out of his game. However, he does still have to learn that there is a time and place...........
Yep, I agree with that.

I think we'll need to get 400, as the Aussie's bowling is their weakness! And we'll have to bowl really tight on what appears to be a decent wicket.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I think the Aussies having to bat last on a deteriorating pitch and us having 2 spinners is going to be the key to this test.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

Ever the optimist, I believe we will win. Peterson actually batted very responsibly. It makes me laugh how people like Fat Gatt slag him off on the radio for being irresponsible. Less than half the talent of KP and er Gatt remember how you lost a World Cup through a rash shot? Let the man without sin etc etc. Nasser Hussain was far more restrained in his criticism on Sky.

The pitch is taking spin. Monty has to show up though!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Ever the optimist, I believe we will win. Peterson actually batted very responsibly. It makes me laugh how people like Fat Gatt slag him off on the radio for being irresponsible. Less than half the talent of KP and er Gatt remember how you lost a World Cup through a rash shot? Let the man without sin etc etc. Nasser Hussain was far more restrained in his criticism on Sky.

Who is Peterson?

As for Pietersen, the wickets were falling too quickly yesterday to even attempt dragging that shot from the next strip.

You might criticise Gatt, but he was a very talented player for England, as was Boycs. I suspect they know a little more of the game than you or I.

Monty has not been in good form, so we shouldn't be reliant.

Go Swanny, 45 n.o. so far.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

435 puts us in a good position. If the bowlers can now do a job we are in with a great chance of a good start to the series.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Ever the optimist, I believe we will win. Peterson actually batted very responsibly. It makes me laugh how people like Fat Gatt slag him off on the radio for being irresponsible. Less than half the talent of KP and er Gatt remember how you lost a World Cup through a rash shot? Let the man without sin etc etc. Nasser Hussain was far more restrained in his criticism on Sky.

Who is Peterson?

As for Pietersen, the wickets were falling too quickly yesterday to even attempt dragging that shot from the next strip.

You might criticise Gatt, but he was a very talented player for England, as was Boycs. I suspect they know a little more of the game than you or I.

Doesn't stop us from having an opinion does it though? Gatting was public enemy back in 1987, he should think on a bit beofre slagging Pietersen ( can i have a mark for spelling teacher?) :wink: .
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:

Who is Peterson?

Doesn't stop us from having an opinion does it though? Gatting was public enemy back in 1987, he should think on a bit beofre slagging Pietersen ( can i have a mark for spelling teacher?) :wink: .
No marks I'm afraid, not until you can spell an entire sentence properly. What is &quotbeofre&quot anyway? :wink:

Nasser is always more diplomatic than Gatt and Boycs.

It's great that Pietersen has the ability to play shots that others cannot, he just needs to know when to be a little more careful.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quottheox&quot wrote:435 puts us in a good position. If the bowlers can now do a job we are in with a great chance of a good start to the series.
435 not looking so good now.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Given the pitch and the feeble Aussie bowling, it's either ours or a draw. Depends if we can get rid of these two with the new ball tomorrow and then try and skittle the rest of them during the day.

As for KP, it's clear that his new strategy is to play the first 50 balls gently to get himself in, then turn on the taps. Fair enough - he's not an innings builder, he's more a shock troop to turn around an innings. There's no point criticising it, because a) he's always played like that, it's won us plenty of games, and he's not going to change, and b) he doesn't listen anyway.