Will 6th place be good enough?

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I saw somewhere a couple of days ago the suggestion that they could be granted one year's grace to sort this issue out, should they gain promotion. Even so, I think the answer to the question in this thread is 'no'. The article indicates that Kettering can still play in the play-offs if they finish in 2nd-5th place - and if the League then rejects them, I would expect the second promotion place to go to the losing finalists (assuming the League do not say that, exceptionally, this year only one team would go up if Kettering were denied a league place). Either way, finishing outside the play-offs would miss the play-off boat that Kettering would claerly, according to this article, be allowed on to.

As for straw-clutching, I spent an hour or so a few days ago not only chasing up the details of this story, but also looking to see if, for example, Histon's ground met league standards (it does, apparently).
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:I saw somewhere a couple of days ago the suggestion that they could be granted one year's grace to sort this issue out, should they gain promotion. Even so, I think the answer to the question in this thread is 'no'. The article indicates that Kettering can still play in the play-offs if they finish in 2nd-5th place - and if the League then rejects them, I would expect the second promotion place to go to the losing finalists (assuming the League do not say that, exceptionally, this year only one team would go up if Kettering were denied a league place). Either way, finishing outside the play-offs would miss the play-off boat that Kettering would claerly, according to this article, be allowed on to.

As for straw-clutching, I spent an hour or so a few days ago not only chasing up the details of this story, but also looking to see if, for example, Histon's ground met league standards (it does, apparently).
Well this tends to suggest that if the league were to decide they weren't qualified for promotion then the conference would not allow them into the play-offs:

We can confirm that the Conference board have indicated the only scenario in which we would not be allowed to play in the play-offs, should we achieve the necessary league position, is if the Football League ruled that they would not accept us, should we win the play-offs.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

They can use discretion when interpreting their own rules when it suits them, dispensing justice in an arbitrary manner.
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

Would the sixth place team automatically go into the play offs?

It has been suggested in the other place that the second placed team would have a bye through to the play off final.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re:

Post by OUFC_Gav »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:Would the sixth place team automatically go into the play offs?

It has been suggested in the other place that the second placed team would have a bye through to the play off final.
I believe that this is the case that the 2nd place club would get a bye.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

My understanding is that the general rule within non-league circles has changed in the last year or two towards including the 6th (and if necessary 7th, but no lower) placed clubs rather than award byes.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:My understanding is that the general rule within non-league circles has changed in the last year or two towards including the 6th (and if necessary 7th, but no lower) placed clubs rather than award byes.
Correct

The FA rules on Step 1 of the National League say that &quotin exceptional circumstances where a club in positions 2 to 5 does not meet the criteria to enter the play-offs they should be replaced by a club in the next eligible position. Clubs finishing below position 7 would not be considered&quot