Kelvin Interview

Anything yellow and blue
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Kelvin Interview

Post by tomoufc »

Is there any way someone can provide the text of the Oxford Mail interview with Kelvin Thomas for those of us who live far from the dreaming spires?

I don't believe it would go against copyright laws if referenced. If not just a breakdown on the major points. Thanks fellow yellows.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

link here
http&#58//www&#46oxfordmail&#46co&#46uk ... w__Part_1/
sorry don't know how to do the clever thing where you have words and a hyperlink
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

You do this…

you write [url=http:etc]text[/url]

Marks out of ten for the answers to the questions anyone?

I know I’ve got a letter somewhere in my loft from Virgin ten years ago saying almost exactly the same thing that Kelvin was told about Richard Branson’s interest in Oxford United.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Out of 10:

What are the chances of us purchasing the stadium in the next 12 months?

4/10 rather than 'chances' he is talking about 'confidence' Putting no timescale on it is a bit like the infifnity theory - almost anything is possible with no timeframe attached

Do we have an agreement to play at the Kassam Stadium whatever? If buying the ground looks unlikely, is there a possibility of us moving to a different ground?

9/10 Not only to we have an agreement, we also have a commitment. btw if this is like a house could we be evicted if we don't pay? Where would FK's income come from then?

Is it fair to say that relationships with Firoz Kassam are the best they have ever been since he sold the club?

8/10

Could we not get Firoz Kassam back on board in some capacity? If he were, surely he would then not charge us rent?

9/10 This clearly won't happen

A few months ago our financial situation was dire. Are we still in deep financial straights?

4/10 What's going on with the finances? If they're better why and how?

What is the break-even figure for crowds at the Kassam Stadium? Presuming we are not reaching that, do the smaller crowds threaten the long-term stability of the club?

2/10 He dosn't know. An estimate would be nice.

How much money does the club lose each week? With just five home games remaining, is there a potential problem for income for the remainder of the season?

4/10 1st part rubbish - these account will be published anyway. KT dosn't know or is hiding a bad situation. 2nd part seems sensible

What is our weekly wage bill?

3/10 again this is poor. How does KT expect supporters to riase cash when he won't tell us how much we need?

Are Woodstock Partners continuing to fund the club?

3/10 Question not answered.

Ian Lenagan wanted to take on a smaller involvement with the club a few months ago, rumours suggest he is now as involved as he was before, can you confirm this?

8/10 a faily straight answer, I think

What actions are the club taking to reduce the massive financial overspend that was shown in the last accounts and is projected for this year?

5/10 not a specific answer except to say that they will spend less money.

Has it become easier meeting the quarterly rent payments? If so, what has made the difference?

8/10 A fairly straight answer. Might be easier to switch to pay as you go? They could take their card down newsagent for a top-up.

The 50-50 draw has become a huge success – was this extra income budgeted for?

8/10 Answers the question but poses one: why were there shortfalls that hadn't been budgeted for?

Have you talked to Sir Richard Branson about buying the stadium and renaming it the Virgin Stadium? Could the club then repay the rent at a reduced figure, which they could realistically afford?

9/10 Richard Branson would have stepped in years ago if he had any interest in OUFC

Have you thought about selling shares in the club to fans? 8/10

What can we the fans do to help in a meaningful way (and I'm talking about serious fund-raising initiatives here) that will produce a tangible benefit?

6/10 Perhaps if we had a fan's forum and an open approach to financial reporting we could have a more unified effort, rather than just bits and peices.

What is the purpose/implications of the mortgage/charge that was registered for the club in January according to the Companies House records?

5/10 This makes no sense to the avarage fan. An overdraft is a type of loan surely. In my experince overdrafts are easier to pay off, however and arn't tied to assets. That's just in terms of personal banking though.

Overall I'm hoping the 2nd part reveals more. I have got some clues, however as to why a fan's forum has not yet been held - there is a lot KT is unprepared to discuss.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:You do this…

you write [url=http:etc]text[/url]

Marks out of ten for the answers to the questions anyone?

I know I’ve got a letter somewhere in my loft from Virgin ten years ago saying almost exactly the same thing that Kelvin was told about Richard Branson’s interest in Oxford United.
Some of the questions were obviously posed by idiots.

I felt KT answered appropriately, but I still think it is a shame that he thinks he can string fans along regarding the stadium purchse. He knows he isn't going to be able to buy it any time soon, unless it was him putting money on the Weymouth v Rushden match.

The Branson question comes up every couple of years, but Branson won't invest unless he has a guaranteed return, or high profile showcase, neither of which applies to OUFC at present. If we get to the Championship, in the future, then he might get involved.

The lack of fans forum is still clearly as a result of KT having no answer to the big questions. I can't say I blame him given how Kassam was treated by some fans.

The good news is the the Barclays mortgage was just re-financing and that KT is setting reduced budgets for next season.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

This is what KT said about a fans forum:

&quotThis is a very difficult topic. I like to think that supporters think of me as a very open chairman who communicates with them as much as is commercially sensible.
We have some exciting plans here and I would love to share those with fans, but the timing has to be right.
There is a pressure to have a fans' forum, but I am reminded that it has to be a worthwhile experience for it to be of benefit.
What I do not want to do is sit at the front of a room, be asked lots of good questions by supporters and be unable to give a proper answer to them - that is of no benefit to them or me.
I have said before that we are looking at dates, and I was hoping to organise one at the start of the year, but I really needed things to fall into place to do this.
And unfortunately, it has not quite happened how I hoped it might.&quot
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

part 2 of the interview
is here, including the bit Boris typed out.
Interesting to see from part 1 that &quotthe club do not have to pay any interest &quot on the WPL loans. Does that means interest is being charged / accrued but not paid in cash, or is the loan now interest free?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Q. What is the purpose/implications of the mortgage/charge that was registered for the club in January according to the Companies House records?

8/10 - It’s good to know that the “amount involved is only a small part of the club’s overall debt
scooter
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by scooter »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Q. What is the purpose/implications of the mortgage/charge that was registered for the club in January according to the Companies House records?

8/10 - It’s good to know that the “amount involved is only a small part of the club’s overall debt
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

[quote=&quotscooter&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]Q. What is the purpose/implications of the mortgage/charge that was registered for the club in January according to the Companies House records?

Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Sorry Kelvin just not good enough. The vast majority of questions were dodged and the reasons given not to hold a fans forum are poor. &quotWe have some exciting plans and I'd love to share them&quot suggests to me he has no real plans to address the big issues and is scared that this will become all too aparent. The very fact that you have nothing to say is worth hearing face to face.

When so many of the problems and the questions relate to financial issues isn't it strange that the only numbers on the double page spread are in the date and page number?

On the whole I think Kelvin has done a good job since he came in but let's face it he didn't have to do a lot to be better than the idiot he replaced. However I think this PR exercise has back fired if it was done to deflect the calls for a fan's forum. Hiding behind the Oxford Mail does him no credit, particularly when he tells us almost nothing, to really communicate with the fans you have to be in the same room.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]Given that there is no point in the club paying the interest (as it would have to be paid by WPL) I assume “do not have to pay any interest
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot][quote=&quotscooter&quot][quote=&quotSnake&quot]Q. What is the purpose/implications of the mortgage/charge that was registered for the club in January according to the Companies House records?

Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

here are two exciting plansit would have been nice to hear about at a fans' forum.

on the advertising, good to see kelvin thomas doing some of the sensible things that many people have called for for a while, and that are covered in the stadium agreement.

on the fans' forum, i agree with mally, there are no substitutes for them. answers in a public forum, rather than a planned paper interview, or private appointments, are needed, and i think are part of the responsibilities of a football club chairman.
Last edited by Matt D on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Some interesting and encouraging comments here:-

http&#58//news&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport ... 675&#46stm

Some commercial realities kicking in.