Stupid referee

Anything yellow and blue
Zeke

Stupid referee

Post by Zeke »

Possibly the most shocking performance by a referee I've ever seen. That guy needs to be banned from competitive matches for life.

I am, of course, referring to the Italy-USA match which was a fair 1-1 in the end. Still, neither USA red card was deserved and the foul calls on both teams were often ridiculous. Just an awful performance by the dunce of Uruguay. Didn't have a problem with the disallowed goal though, at least the linesmen weren't idiots.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

The problem is Zeke that the officials have been told to clamp down and yellow cards are being awarded for the slightest contact in many cases. In that context I think Pope's second yellow was a definite but I can't remember his first. Mastroeni's challenge looked quite nasty but for sheer thuggery De Rossi obviously was the worst culprit by far. But there are no different shades of yellow and red.

Anyway your guys are still in with a shout but Ghana looked impressive today. And half their team managed to pick up a yellow without going on to get sent off.

An interesting World Cup with plenty more drama to come.
SuperOx

Ghana

Post by SuperOx »

Ghana were hugely impressive and battered the Czechs today. I think the Czechs are an ageing team who will now probably get knocked out. I think Ghana will qualify.

I thought the USA were terrific tonight and played some superb football
and deserved a point at the very least.

Their two red cards were harsh in my opinion.

I think Australia will surprise a few people tomorrow against
an overhyped and ageing Brazil team.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Stupid referee

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotZeke &quot wrote:Possibly the most shocking performance by a referee I've ever seen. That guy needs to be banned from competitive matches for life.

I am, of course, referring to the Italy-USA match which was a fair 1-1 in the end. Still, neither USA red card was deserved and the foul calls on both teams were often ridiculous. Just an awful performance by the dunce of Uruguay. Didn't have a problem with the disallowed goal though, at least the linesmen weren't idiots.
Can't say I agree, Zeke. Pope was stupid to go through the back of his man like that when he was already on a yellow.

A booking might have sufficed for Mastroeni, but it was an awful challenge and in the context of this world cup (and the guidelines the refs are operating in) he can't really have too many complaints.

In fact, the ref let quite a few more reckless challenges by the US go unpunished in the second half - probably as he didn't want to have to send anyone else off.

The worst refereeing performances I've seen so far have been the Mexican guy who did the first England match and Graham Poll, who got almost everythig wrong in the opening 20 minutes of his game (I didn't see the rest). Apart from that they've been pretty good, and more consistent than usual I reckon.

Though the number of incorrect offside decisions in general has been staggering...

Post by »

Interesting how the national team colored glasses can't tint things. I thought the Mexican ref wasn't great but wasn't horrible.

Mastroeni's tackle was bad and deserved a yellow, end of. Pope came in from the side, got the ball, then the player. A foul, maybe...his first card was ridiculous, running with Toni, both players falling down, Pope gets the card.

I agree the US will be hard pressed to beat Ghana. There's just not enough creativity on offense and defensively, Keller and Onyewu will have to be immense.
SuperOx

United States

Post by SuperOx »

I must also add that I thought USA skipper
Claudia Reyna and Landon Donovan were immense
against the Azzuri.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

when i read about this ridiculous ruling on 'lunging' (you mean TACKLING ffs), i really feared they were going to ruin the tournament. it's not been as bad as i thought it might be, but having just had the week off to enjoy the group stage, it's had me shouting at the television a number of times.

nuts.

as kernow yellow says, it's down to the rulings. after all, the referees are being marked on their performances, so if they don't enforce the rules...

speaking of 'lunges', genuinely sorry to see ashton go. especially to rushden. when he was linked with bristol city, i thought that was the sort of club he could really come good at. he has the talent, and the pace, he just needs to work on his concentration in my opinion.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:when i read about this ridiculous ruling on 'lunging' (you mean TACKLING ffs), i really feared they were going to ruin the tournament. it's not been as bad as i thought it might be, but having just had the week off to enjoy the group stage, it's had me shouting at the television a number of times.

nuts.

as kernow yellow says, it's down to the rulings. after all, the referees are being marked on their performances, so if they don't enforce the rules...

speaking of 'lunges', genuinely sorry to see ashton go. especially to rushden. when he was linked with bristol city, i thought that was the sort of club he could really come good at. he has the talent, and the pace, he just needs to work on his concentration in my opinion.
Agree about the tackles ruling. Its been daft. If there's no contact, provided it isn't dangerous, there is no foul. Gerrard was booked for just this sort of offence.

In my view its about time the game had post match citings for both foul play and cheating, in which I include diving and play acting. OK it isn't going to change the result of a match tomorrow, but over a period of time, provided the penalties are sufficiently heavy, it will help to remove one of the bad sides of the game. I also think there is a case for using replays (not during the game) but at half time say, for the fourth official to highlight such incidents for which a booking or red card could then be applied.

I think I read that one of the slightly lower steps of non-league (Ryman Prem?) might be trying out sin bins this year as well, which might help.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotAnonymous&quot wrote:Interesting how the national team colored glasses can't tint things. I thought the Mexican ref wasn't great but wasn't horrible.
I didn't mean he was anti-England. I just thought he was very erratic, and wanted to be the star of the show. Everything a referee shouldn't be.

Not as bad as the guy that did the Croatia-Japan match yesterday though. He gave 33 free kicks in the first 70 minutes, and it wasn't a dirty or niggly game at all. Made the game virtually unwatchable.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Agree with GY about post-match sanctions for diving (and other forms of cheating). It's the only way the game will ever rid itself of it. Obviously this is only really workable for televised games, but that would at least teach 'the kids' that this sort of thing is wrong. Diving seems to have become perfectly acceptable even for English players, which is disappointing.

One good thing to come out of this World Cup so far is the hard line the refs have taken on dissent and imaginary card-waving - two players asked the ref to book their opponents in the opening couple of games, and both were immediately booked themselves. I don't understand why this wasn't dealt with sooner, but it's great it's being done now. Let's hope officials at domestic and European level follow suit..
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:Diving seems to have become perfectly acceptable even for English players, which is disappointing.
don't get me started on the english media's conspiracy of silence when it comes to english players diving. howls of outrage when an opposition player cons the referee, but nothing's said about michael owen making a career out of this.

i was surprised to see gerrard indulging in it though.
One good thing to come out of this World Cup so far is the hard line the refs have taken on dissent and imaginary card-waving - two players asked the ref to book their opponents in the opening couple of games, and both were immediately booked themselves. I don't understand why this wasn't dealt with sooner, but it's great it's being done now.
and leads to fantastic television when you see their faces! next up should be players making diving motions to the referees. fair enough, tell the ref that you didn't make contact, but players can go to the floor without being fouled, and without meaning to dive. let the ref make up his own mind.
SmileyMan

Post by SmileyMan »

There doesn't even have to be contact for a foul anymore, the law is worded on &quotintent&quot, ie if someone flies studs-first towards your knees, and you jump out of the way and fall over, that's still a foul, and rightly so.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSmileyMan &quot wrote:There doesn't even have to be contact for a foul anymore, the law is worded on &quotintent&quot, ie if someone flies studs-first towards your knees, and you jump out of the way and fall over, that's still a foul, and rightly so.
Quite right, but similarly if someone attempts a legitimate tackle and misses that should not be a foul if there is no contact, whereas foul's and cards are being brandished for just such incidents.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

just thought i'd bump this thread back up to the top so that zeke can find it easily when the ghana vs. usa match is finished.
SuperOx

Ghana v USA

Post by SuperOx »

The decision by referee Markus Merk to award Ghana
that penalty today was nothing short of a disgrace.

A truly appalling decision by a so called elite referee.