More financial shenanigans

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

More financial shenanigans

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I see Crawley Town are in financial trouble.

If they are liquidated, does this mean another reprieve for financially troubled Scarborough I wonder?

Farce doesn't do it justice.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Crawley have, or have applied to, go into administration, but did so after the season ended, so they will receive a ten point penalty which will come into effect next season rather than retrospectively this season, so we are already ten points clear of bottom place (when was the last time that was the case I wonder??).

Scarborough were relegated due to failing to meet a requirement to be clear of administration by a set date. So even if the Crawley had the fine imposed this season, they would still have survived the drop. Now if they had gone OOB completely, then that would be more interesting, with the Conference either running a team light for a season, or perhaps an extra team coming up (depending on timescales etc).

Incidentally, in addition to the relegation, Scarborough also face starting the season with another 10 point penalty, for entering a new period in administration. It appears that what they did was to clear one administration by entering into another similar financial agreement (or some such similar chicanery) in an attempt to meet the Conference deadline. The Conference deemed this as unacceptable, hence the relegation and also imposed the points deduction for entering into the second agreement.

Hey, isn't this non-league thing fun???
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Crawley have, or have applied to, go into administration, but did so after the season ended, so they will receive a ten point penalty which will come into effect next season rather than retrospectively this season, so we are already ten points clear of bottom place (when was the last time that was the case I wonder??).

Scarborough were relegated due to failing to meet a requirement to be clear of administration by a set date. So even if the Crawley had the fine imposed this season, they would still have survived the drop. Now if they had gone OOB completely, then that would be more interesting, with the Conference either running a team light for a season, or perhaps an extra team coming up (depending on timescales etc).

Incidentally, in addition to the relegation, Scarborough also face starting the season with another 10 point penalty, for entering a new period in administration. It appears that what they did was to clear one administration by entering into another similar financial agreement (or some such similar chicanery) in an attempt to meet the Conference deadline. The Conference deemed this as unacceptable, hence the relegation and also imposed the points deduction for entering into the second agreement.

Hey, isn't this non-league thing fun???
Its a it more serious than that Mooro. Crawley are unable to pay their creditors, so in the hands of the administrator they could well be put into receivership and be liquidated.

According to one report I read today, every one of their players is actively looking for a new club.

The poiont I was trying to make, was that if they are liquidated, the options seem to be reinstate Scarborough for the umpteenth time, or play with only 23 teams, which for the supposed 5th division, would be a huge embarassment.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
Its a it more serious than that Mooro. Crawley are unable to pay their creditors, so in the hands of the administrator they could well be put into receivership and be liquidated.

According to one report I read today, every one of their players is actively looking for a new club.

The poiont I was trying to make, was that if they are liquidated, the options seem to be reinstate Scarborough for the umpteenth time, or play with only 23 teams, which for the supposed 5th division, would be a huge embarassment.
As I understand it (and living locally I get to hear quite a few of the local rumours) there are plenty of people sniffing around with an interest in taking over, so the club could well be sold by the administrators and avoid liquidation. One of the interested parties is the chap who used to own Bishops Stortford FC and he did a pretty good salavge job there.

Crawley's biggest mistake was to go full-time last season in only their second season back in the Conference and paying fairly large wages to a fairly large squad.

If they were to go bust, my understanding is that the Conference would play with 23 teams as they have held their AGM which is the deadline for sorting out the makeup of the league for the following season. Plus, after all the hoo-ha over Leigh RMI and Carshalton, I doubt that the Conference or FA will have the stomach to sort out who should take Crawley's place.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

As I understand it (and living locally I get to hear quite a few of the local rumours) there are plenty of people sniffing around with an interest in taking over, so the club could well be sold by the administrators and avoid liquidation. One of the interested parties is the chap who used to own Bishops Stortford FC and he did a pretty good salavge job there.

Crawley's biggest mistake was to go full-time last season in only their second season back in the Conference and paying fairly large wages to a fairly large squad.

If they were to go bust, my understanding is that the Conference would play with 23 teams as they have held their AGM which is the deadline for sorting out the makeup of the league for the following season. Plus, after all the hoo-ha over Leigh RMI and Carshalton, I doubt that the Conference or FA will have the stomach to sort out who should take Crawley's place.
I read about the possible takeover as well, but isn't the problem that anyone considering taking over, who is anything other than a devoted Crawley Town fan, has nothing to develop and therefore nothing to gain, and is therefore unlikely to be prepared to keep the club afloat?

Where do you live then Myles?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I read about the possible takeover as well, but isn't the problem that anyone considering taking over, who is anything other than a devoted Crawley Town fan, has nothing to develop and therefore nothing to gain, and is therefore unlikely to be prepared to keep the club afloat?

Well, the ground is owned by another party (the Council) and I'm not sure how revenues are divied up (sound familiar?!). There is certainly potential to take Crawley forward as there is quite a large local population and the nearest league clubs are Brighton and Crystal Palace - the trouble being both of those are easily accesible by train from Crawley. With a bit of success, they could easily bring in crowds of 2,000-2,500 - as shown the season before last with several crowds of around 2,000. As you say, though, the question is how much scope is there for making money from other activities? Without the additional income which the conference centre brings in (another similarity!) I do wonder if there is enough revenue to run the club as a full-time outfit, but as it stands it should be a very sound part-time club.

I'm in Horley, just north of Crawley.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I read about the possible takeover as well, but isn't the problem that anyone considering taking over, who is anything other than a devoted Crawley Town fan, has nothing to develop and therefore nothing to gain, and is therefore unlikely to be prepared to keep the club afloat?

Well, the ground is owned by another party (the Council) and I'm not sure how revenues are divied up (sound familiar?!). There is certainly potential to take Crawley forward as there is quite a large local population and the nearest league clubs are Brighton and Crystal Palace - the trouble being both of those are easily accesible by train from Crawley. With a bit of success, they could easily bring in crowds of 2,000-2,500 - as shown the season before last with several crowds of around 2,000. As you say, though, the question is how much scope is there for making money from other activities? Without the additional income which the conference centre brings in (another similarity!) I do wonder if there is enough revenue to run the club as a full-time outfit, but as it stands it should be a very sound part-time club.

I'm in Horley, just north of Crawley.
I know the area quite well. I'm only 30 minutes away. Our firm often does its CPD courses at The Hawth Theatre and a former business partner of mine lives in Copthorne. Oh the joys of the A23.