Wages Cap Changes

Anything yellow and blue

Assuming the wages cap for next season is effectively listed should OUFC:

Stay within the limits of the old cap (£800,000)?
42%
Spend a bit more but still try to reduce the club's losses?
58%

Total votes: 12

Mally
Grumpy old git

Wages Cap Changes

Post by Mally »

If the wages cap system is to be relaxed what should the Oxford United response be?
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

Spend a bit more but making sure you reduce the club debt would be my choice.........is that possible?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Oops! There should have been a third option:

Spend as much as WPL will support and go all out for promotion.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Cautious approach needed - can't afford to tie up too much money on one or two individuals.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

What about losing complete control of your finances, spunking your player budget, incurring a points deduction and going into administration six months later?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I went for stay within the old budget, but I would actually reduce the amount spent on players, in order to control the finances.

I don't think it is possible to spend more and still meaningfully reduce the losses.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: I don't think it is possible to spend more and still meaningfully reduce the losses.
If gates rise significantly it could. Very unlikely of course.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I've voted for spend.

We can save later.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I went for stay within the old budget, but I would actually reduce the amount spent on players, in order to control the finances.

I don't think it is possible to spend more and still meaningfully reduce the losses.

How about a cup run or two? , how about a couple of trips to Wembley? It is not impossible.

I am very interested to see how squad building goes in the next 2/3 weeks.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i vote for (broadly) staying within the wage cap. we should still be competitive at that level of spending.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Firstly the OUFC response should be something along the lines of: Why was this not made known earlier so that all clubs could decide to spend above the proposed limit rather than just those seemingly 'in the know', such as Torquay (whose chairman has been so willing to comment).

As for how to build the squad, I would actually prefer to see us spread the budget across a larger number of players on sensible wages than pushing higher wages towards a few 'star' signings in a smaller squad. How many times have we seen the highest paid members of the squad contributing less and less as the season wears on (either through age, incompetency, attitude or injury), often ending up merely draining the budget from the sidelines (eg Willmott, Hutch)

Instead, I would say that our best plan would be to use something akin to our present salary cap to compile a larger squad than competitors, rather than one with better paid individuals. Doing so would allow more interchangability during periods of fixture congestion, more capacity to take a few gambles on unknowns with less risk and more flexibility in getting people out if we need to.

We are more likely to build a united squad and unearth a gem or two along the way (eg Foster) using this approach than we are to rise above the pack on the back of our 'hired hands'
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I went for stay within the old budget, but I would actually reduce the amount spent on players, in order to control the finances.

How about a cup run or two? , how about a couple of trips to Wembley? It is not impossible.

I am very interested to see how squad building goes in the next 2/3 weeks.
OK Mr Pedant, not impossible, but improbable.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I don't want to see the club recklessly pushed towards financial danger. Unless the current management have a big stash of money that they've been hiding, then let's stay within a sensible budget.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:I don't want to see the club recklessly pushed towards financial danger.
Haven't we already done that?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

No, because we're only spending IL's money and he can't ask for it back (or rather no point in asking for it back).

No more excuses about wage cap rules (even though it worked to our advantage in the past) can be trotted out now, and if WPL are serious about Us then

a) it's time to splash that cash or
b) pull out and learn from the mistake and sell the club for a quid to someone who WILL invest in a sensible fashion.