Green has signed for someone else ...

Anything yellow and blue
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I dunno, from the sounds of it Green hasn't conducted himself very well - to verbally accept the offer but then head somewhere else the morning it was due to be signed is not very professional. Assuming that is what happened obviously. His actions aren't deserving of the pile of vitriol he'll doubtless receive from our lot when he plays (and scores).
Agreed. The way that he did it was not good. Ultimately it comes down to money. I hope Patto's valuation was corret and Torquay paid over the odds. The alternative being that Patto either misjudged his worth or was being restricted in what he can offer by being given a lower than expected budget.

There's a question for OxVox to ask - Is the club budgeting to spend up to the limit of the wages cap this season?
I think we have to consider that Patto needs to bring in a few players this summer and certainly can't afford to blow a significant part of the budget on one player.

My guess is that Patto has set himself a limit of, for arguments sake, £1000/week for a striker. Green was offered more by Torquay and, knowing Patto would go no higher, took that offer. That's life unfortunately. I think most people on here, in general, view money as a fairly important factor when considering a new job.

The question remains as to how big a budget Torquay have. They seem to have a lot of players which i would assume are on pretty decent wages. Maybe they're the next Halifax.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quottheox&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I dunno, from the sounds of it Green hasn't conducted himself very well - to verbally accept the offer but then head somewhere else the morning it was due to be signed is not very professional. Assuming that is what happened obviously. His actions aren't deserving of the pile of vitriol he'll doubtless receive from our lot when he plays (and scores).
Agreed. The way that he did it was not good. Ultimately it comes down to money. I hope Patto's valuation was corret and Torquay paid over the odds. The alternative being that Patto either misjudged his worth or was being restricted in what he can offer by being given a lower than expected budget.

There's a question for OxVox to ask - Is the club budgeting to spend up to the limit of the wages cap this season?
With the very strict wages cap in the Conference they should have less money than we have unless they have managed to do some very creative accounting and dramatically increase their turnover. If anything they should be expereincing dramatic cuts in their player budget for next season now that the league parachute arrangements no longer apply.

I think we have to consider that Patto needs to bring in a few players this summer and certainly can't afford to blow a significant part of the budget on one player.

My guess is that Patto has set himself a limit of, for arguments sake, £1000/week for a striker. Green was offered more by Torquay and, knowing Patto would go no higher, took that offer. That's life unfortunately. I think most people on here, in general, view money as a fairly important factor when considering a new job.

The question remains as to how big a budget Torquay have. They seem to have a lot of players which i would assume are on pretty decent wages. Maybe they're the next Halifax.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

There also seems to be some prudence here with the 2nd half of the season in mind. What Smith seemed to do was front load money on players at the start of a season. If pieces of the jigsaw didn't fit, Smith had to wait to off-load before being able to rebuild and is left with losers hanging on to long, expensive contracts. In what Patto is doing, if I read between the lines correctly, it allows him some additional budget around New Year to bring players in to support (or replace) the squad and not have to rely on some other team taking one of our players first.

I like it.

Up Patto!

RM
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:I think we all agree that wishing injury on anyone is wrong.
I dunno. I wouldn't be at all upset if he was injured when the time came for us to play Torquay.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:I think we all agree that wishing injury on anyone is wrong.
I dunno. I wouldn't be at all upset if he was injured when the time came for us to play Torquay.
And I don't think there's much wrong in hoping one of our main rivals next seasons suffers an injury to a key player. Not because it's Green but because it would give OUFC an advantage.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

Have been trying for a while to comment on this but have had problems logging on........sorted now though. Thanks Boris!

I think Green has behaved badly if you judge him by the standards you would like to see in yourself and others......if you judge him by the standards that seem to apply to footballers, however, he hasn't done anything suprising.

Pattersons comments about having strikers lined up who are 'as good, if not better' makes me wonder why he chased around for so long after a player that he now describes as injury prone?

Patto has a lot to live up to now when he finally unveils this new striker, and if this player doesnt score something close to 20 goals next season the manager will have some explaining to do.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Back to Green and Torquay. Can they really afford Zebrowski too, or could he be one of our targets? I haven't a clue!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 432804.stm
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Back to Green and Torquay. Can they really afford Zebrowski too, or could he be one of our targets? I haven't a clue!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 432804.stm
I would be very surprised. He has, I believe been offered a new contracxt at Millwall- I would be surprised if he doesn't accept this. Also as you suggest I can't see Torquay being able to afford him.

Could well be a throw away line by Green.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

They also look like they're about to sign Shwan Jalal, and for a fee (unless someone gets in there and nabs him from under their noses).
scooter
Dashing young thing

Post by scooter »

And they seem able to do deals whilst the manager is on holiday.

How different things could have been last season if JS had his mobile configured to work in Spain.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Yes, we might have had Kieron St Amie on a season loan deal.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Patto makes big play 'we would have matched any offer Torquay made' in today's OM.

But that isn't going to help him find an extra 100k worth of mortgage is it Darren?

Matching isn't good enough. We should have been offering more when we consider attendances. Still I bet they get to keep all their car boot takings.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I'd happily settle for Charlie MacDonald !

Reading the Southend press it seems two League Clubs are after
SuperMac - probably Barnet being one having lost out on Green.
Dagenham could be the other.

MacDonald is a Londoner and that could be a stumbling block.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Everyone seems to be bashing Patto for no landing a striker who could score goals, but could hardly train and might not last a 2 year deal. I'd rather let him go, if their doctors report was correct, than end up with another Wilmott in the squad who could be replaced by 2 other players.

Also, I haven't heard a single word of praise for Patto after landing Murray. What an excellent signing for us. The last few games of the season (esp the last) he looked at least a level above where we are. Aside from his previous demons, it also looks like he'll be able to train everyday and play a full 90 mins each week...

Well done on that one Patto.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

I think everyone will agree that Patto has done a good deal to get and keep Murray........and to get him playing as well as he has.

HOWEVER one swallow does not a summer make etc.....our problems over the last (insert number here) seasons are more or less down to not sticking the ball in the net.....i.e a twenty goal a season type. It's no coincidence that when the wheels came off in season 2006/07 it was the same time as Duffy started to lose his touch.

To summarise, we need a 20 goal a season man to stand any chance of promotion .......in my opinion.

Looking to the future however, Charlie McDonald would do me very nicely!

Matt Green would soon be forgotten at that stage.......until he scores a couple against us of course!