Only the Crumbliest, Flakiest ...

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:The whole internet is saturated at the moment. BBC iPlayer.
Which is why ISPs want the Beeb to cough up to improve the internet infrastructure. Bet they don't.
And why should they?
No reason whatsoever. But if you don't ask you don't get.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:slightly hyperbolic.
!!!!
entirely disenchanted
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:!!!!
:D

Although it is technically a correct usage......
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:!!!!
:D

Although it is technically a correct usage......
Only if the use of the word &quotslightly&quot was ironic. Otherwise it was an oxymoron.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Bad again today, every other refresh is a failure at the moment.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

even TIU is down today :(
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:even TIU is down today :(
And this is bad because?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I don't understand HAT and DASBOOT on here, an explanation for simpletons like me would help. What are they on about? Why are they called what they are called? All a bit clique-y
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I don't understand HAT and DASBOOT on here, an explanation for simpletons like me would help. What are they on about? Why are they called what they are called? All a bit clique-y
We probably need a whole thread for this. If I may: basically these are both prediction leagues. The Hat is the older of the two (and as I recall has origins in the mystic prediction hat of mystic Zeke, but this is open to debate): you predict the result, the score, the goal scorers, total crowd and away crowd. Correct predictions bring points (according to a complex algorithm maintained by Frank). There is also a point to be gained from predicting the UE (unexpected event, although the precise definition of U is questioned by schismatics): since Frank never awards UE points, let your imagination run free (young heart). There is a league table which runs for the season ... and which Frank publishes about as often as he awards UE points.

The Boot is also a prediction league, but more in the spirit of &quot£2 each in the pot, pick the first goalscorer, winner takes the pot&quot. The boot is the opposite end of the body to the hat. Each game, the previous winner sets the questions and declares the winner. Boogie is the Bootmeister and tots up the number of wins. This leaves unanswered the question of &quotwho won the boot before the first boot and set the questions for the first game&quot but now we are straying into Dawkins territory.

Clique? No no anyone can enter ... although it might be hard to win the Hat or the Boot league this late in the season.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:The boot is the opposite end of the body to the hat.
true, i've always thought of the hat as more cerebral. it's also more likely to make me laugh.

but nevertheless, i've always preferred the more anarchic boot, where in the past we've been asked to predict anything from goalscorers, to the time the fireengine will pass between the north and south stands, to the number of people wearing an oxford shirt in a particular pub at an away game. for me, the boot has always seemed a more incongruous object, and brought to mind the opening of the second act of 'waiting for godot'. indeed, both hats and boots are the subject of interest in that play, and are regularly swapped between wearers, evoking slapstick comedy.

i think i'll leave that train of thought there.

a recent boot development has been the bootmeister cracking down on tardy question setting, which means if you want to take the boot seriously (!), you need to pay attention, as it's less obvious if you're likely to have won than the hat. baboo, for instance, is in trouble when he gets round to looking at the 'das boot' forum...

as an addendum, i recall godalming yellow, in a fit of enthusiasm for prediction leagues, suggested a third competition - although i can't recall the item of apparel he wanted to use, and so can't postulate on its likely qualities.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I claim some involvement in the setting up of the boot.

The hat was always resident on the Memorox site and when a few of us no longer dwelt on Memorox (water under the bridge) we start another version on here. We wanted a 'clear' winner each week because nobody could be bothered to do Frank's job of running complicated points systems.

I never went back to the hat (water and bridges again) but can say that 'the Boot' regularly appears in conversation during games with my neighbour in SSU. For example, I was slightly distraught that Oxford scored a fifth goal on Saturday thinking it had affected my chances of winning the boot. Needless to say my memory had failed me regarding my prediction.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I don't understand HAT and DASBOOT on here, an explanation for simpletons like me would help. What are they on about? Why are they called what they are called? All a bit clique-y
I’ve not found this forum or it’s predecessors in the least bit exclusive, but by means of a tip then if you use half-decent English and don’t get any facts wrong your contributions are most welcome.

By the way, it’s cliquey not clique-y.
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

Did the hat name originate as a result of my brilliant prediction of Oxford being drawn away to Tranmere in a Cup several years back? I believe thats when Mystic Zeke was born. Sadly, I believe my mystic predictions are about 2 out of 374 since then.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
I’ve not found this forum or it’s predecessors in the least bit exclusive, but by means of a tip then if you use half-decent English and don’t get any facts wrong your contributions are most welcome.

By the way, it's its predecessors, not it's predecessors.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:

By the way, it's its predecessors, not it's predecessors.
Don’t you wish you never posted that?